It may seem that the work performed by the courier companies resembles a black box or an equation with many unknown variables. Sending or receiving a package is common for individuals and businesses that use delivery services. However, courier providers also need to manage other daily operations to ensure safe and on-time delivery to the place of destination. Logistics companies do not usually check the package content, but customers and businesses should be aware that confiscation of packages may take place under certain circumstances.
What are the reasons for a confiscated parcel?
Before shipping your items, check the estimated delivery date to calculate the approximate date your shipment arrives at the place of destination. Most courier companies suggest that you should not wait longer than 7 business days after the expected delivery date to submit a search request or file a claim in case your shipment has not arrived yet. In fact, there are also many different aspects associated with delayed delivery, some of which are directly related to a confiscated parcel. The points below cover the major reasons for any slowdown in the shipment process.
- Wrong address. When a courier attempts to deliver a package to the receiver, misspellings or incorrect address might induce confusion so that additional clarifications would be essential.
- Redirected parcel. Depending on the circumstances, the final destination of a package could be changed. In such cases, the estimated delivery time is prolonged.
- Weather conditions, emergencies, maintenance work. Such conditions as heavy snowfalls or road construction usually affect the delivery time and fall beyond the control of logistics companies.
- Technical issues. We live in the world that is highly dependent on technological advancements, Thus, any disruptions in automated systems cause delays and inconveniences both for logistics services providers and customers. Courier companies usually inform their consumers about such impairments with the help of notifications indicating changes in the estimated delivery date.
- Human factor. People do make mistakes, but a search request or query filed in a timely manner will certainly accelerate the resolution of your issue.
- Customs control. The international shipment, especially when it comes to sending goods outside of the EU, involves obligatory checking procedures which might end up with seized packages at customs control. Missing paperwork and prohibited items are prevailing causes for parcels being confiscated. Furthermore, international shipments obligatory require a commercial invoice which comprises such details as the item description and value, contact information, and the date of export.
- Courier company control. Logistics providers tend to scan packages at the storehouse for safety reasons. At this stage, they detect undeliverable items if those are damaged, look suspicious, have inappropriate packaging, or indicate unpleasant odour and leakage signs. The inspection may lead to such scenarios as a confiscated parcel, elimination of prohibited things, or return shipment. Depending on the nature and the stuffing of the sized package, the courier company may completely destroy or process the items at its disposal.
Recommendations on how to prevent the confiscation of packages
The following pieces of advice would guide you on how to avoid a sized packages phenomenon:
- Make sure you have a correct tracking number. Leading logistics companies provide the tracking code and grant convenient user tools that allow checking the current status and location of your package.
- Check if your shipment is at the customs. International shipment usually implies a thorough inspection at customs control upon necessity. In case an officer finds out that some documentation is missing, restricted items are sent, or tax charges are needed, an additional inspection would be scheduled. In this case, you should contact the courier company to find out what actions to take in further.
- Avoid shipping prohibited items. Most logistics providers provide comprehensive instructions for shipping goods. You can also contact Eurosender shipping experts for more information in order to prevent the confiscation of packages in future. Our experts are acquainted with shipping regulations and legislative procedures, so they will be happy to advise you on the issue.