From the moment you know what city you will be spending your exchange in; the preparing can begin. You probably feel a bit overwhelmed with everything that you need to take care of leading up to your exchange. Especially finding the right accommodation for your period abroad can be quite a hassle, since there are a few things that need to be taken into consideration when deciding what the right accommodation is for you. Therefore, we leave you here with some important information to hopefully, help you a bit better with finding a place that is just right for you.
Need cash to cover your expenses?
Obviously, you need much more money than you would have expected in order to cover your expenses abroad. Well, that is why the Erasmus Grant exists. The Erasmus Grant helps cover the additional costs of your exchange. Students with disabilities can also apply for an additional grant to cover any medical expenses.
As a UK Erasmus student, you can get about €250-€300/month or more for studying abroad, and €350-€400/month or more for doing a traineeship abroad, depending on the country you wish to go to.
The accommodation dilemma!
The dilemma which follows once you have decided to go to your desired place is “accommodation”. To find your right accommodation, it is vital to keep your preferences in check as the money that you are paying; it needs to be worth it. Therefore, checking out certain things might come in handy.
- Location – it is the most crucial part of your accommodation hunt as you need to know how far away you are from your university and where you are staying in the city. Needless to say, checking out for markets, amenities, etc. in and around the accommodation room can be helpful to ensure that you have all the essentials in a step away.
- Transportation – transportation needs to be kept in mind when looking for accommodation since you want to stay as near to your university as possible. By doing so, you also eliminate the factor of having to spend a lot of your money on commuting. Taking this into consideration can prove to be a great deal in boosting your financial records.
- University Halls – if you do not want to avoid the bustling streets and want to play it safe until you can work your way around the city, University Halls are the right option. It is ideal for freshers but note that it is comparatively more expensive than the other options.
- Private housing – private housing is basically renting out a place such as a house or an apartment. But note that many housing amenities will not be available. You will have to buy or rent the other amenities, such as a washing machine or dishwasher. Thus, the overall costs will be high. Not to mention the paperwork and maintenance charges that you might need to take upon.
- Private Halls/Off-Campus student housing – if you love cooking and hanging out with a little bit more freedom at a considerably cheaper cost, private halls allow you to do so while providing you with common spaces like kitchens and social areas. Private Halls are owned and operated by third-parties but some of them also have partnerships with some institutions to support your housing needs. And just like University Halls, Private Halls provide you with on-site security and assistance full-time.
The answer to your dilemma
Even after knowing all, housing options in London, Sheffield or any other city in the UK can be a challenging task as there are so many available options to go through. The ESN (Erasmus Student Network) provides Erasmus students with different accommodation options.
Another better choice which provides you with a variety of accommodation is AmberStudent. AmberStudent is a one-click platform for cross-border students to book accommodation without the hassle of negotiation, non-standardised and cumbersome paperwork, lack of credit score and broken payment processes; with the correct localisation of data for the correct cross-border experience.
Okay! You start packing and you realize you have a lot.
The last thing you want is to be dragged down by your luggage and spoil your travel experience. Eurosender has made international shipping easy and offers you the cheapest shipping service with insurance and an online tracking service included as well.
Last modified: June 18, 2019