Are you preparing a large shipment and you are in pursuit of the cheapest and safest option to prepare a pallet for shipping? To make sure your shipment reaches its destination safely, you need to know to how to properly prepare a pallet for shipping.
A freight shipment is the easiest way to economically transport larger shipments. Furthermore, even if very unlikely, there is a chance of damage or loss since pallets are handled by forklifts rather than being thrown from hand to hand by delivery men.
In order for your freight shipment to arrive at your desired destination safely, the pallet must be properly packed. Thus, we assembled some easy guidelines on how to prepare a pallet for shipping.
What do you need?
Packaging Material and Supplies
1. Pallet – on which packages will be loaded (it should be strong & not broken; it can be new or used)
2. Cardboard Boxes – for packing different packages to be put on pallet (it should be sturdy; it can be new or used)
3. Foam – for internal cushioning of the cardboard boxes
4. Packing Peanuts – for internal cushioning of the cardboard boxes
5. Duct Tape – for sealing the boxes
6. Liner Paper – for lining between packages when they are sitting on the pallet, to avoid friction
7. Strong Plastic Bands – for strapping the packages to the pallet
Where to get the supplies?
1. Pallet – Any hardware store (for example, Bauhaus)
2. Cardboard Box – Any stationery store or hardware store, you can get used ones in supermarkets or any stores, really)
3. Foam – Hardware stores
4. Packing Peanuts – Hardware stores
5. Duct Tape – Any stationery store, hardware store or supermarket
6. Liner Paper – Any stationery store or hardware store
7. Strong Plastics Bands – Hardware stores
How to Prepare the Pallet for shipping?
1.Choose the right pallet
The pallet must be strong, undamaged and big enough to hold all your items. Nothing should overhang the edges. Avoid already broken or rotten pallets with protruding nail heads.
2.Pack and prepare a pallet for shipping properly
If possible, put each of the items in a strong cardboard box, stuffed with a lot of cushioning materials, and seal it properly with an excessive amount of duct tape. Square packages are easiest to load, whereas oddly shaped items will be more troublesome. If you are sending many oddly shaped items on a pallet, your best bet would be to pack them with a lot of cushioning material in regular boxes. You can also see our tips for packing oddly shaped toys.
3.Stack all your items on the pallet
You should always put the lighter, smaller packages on top of the heavier and bigger ones and align boxes in columns, side by side, and from corner to corner, to shape a square. Make sure to stack the packages tightly together, leaving as little space as possible in between. Furthermore, you should not stack the pallet too high, since that can cause instability and increase the chance of damage.
4.Use liner paper
Place some liner paper directly on the pallet, under the load and between every second layer of packages, to decrease friction and spread the weight evenly.
5.Securely fixate the shipment onto the pallet
Strap the shipment to the pallet with bands. Wrap them tightly around the load, in every possible direction, and in several layers, even running it underneath the cargo, to make it stick to the pallet as firmly as possible. Then, further strengthen the entire installation with stretch foil. Wrap it around the load in a similar way as the bands, and even under the pallet, to prevent any shifting.
Preparing Packages to Put on the Pallet
- Choosing the right cardboard boxes – When you are trying to prepare a pallet for shipping, new boxes are recommended. If you reuse an old box, make sure it is sturdy enough, with no holes, tears or dents.
- Internal cushioning of the box – Foam padding and packing peanuts will fill up the empty space left between the items and it will prevent them from shifting inside the box. Place enough packing peanuts under the items as well, not just on the sides. Don’t use a box which is too big for the items placed inside, even if you use enough cushioning material, the stacking strength will be reduced.
- Sealing the cardboard box – Use enough duct tape and seal all sides of the box. Apply at least three strips of tape evenly and cover all flaps and seams on the top and the bottom. Use strapping for the heavier boxes.
Things to remember before shipping
- Measure the dimensions of the pallet accurately before placing the order for shipping, as this information will be required for calculating the shipping prices.
- Make sure that the actual weight and dimensions of the pallet do not exceed what you placed the order for.
- Check with the shipping services provider if you need to print and put labels on the package or if the pickup guys will bring it.
- Do not forget to put specifications on heavy boxes, for example, if the package is heavy, then put a note that it may not be easily lifted by one person.
- Place the order for shipping at least 2 days before your departure from the location, just to avoid risks in the end.
- Try to be even faster in sending shipments during the festive periods.
That is it. As you can see from the pointers, it is not complicated to prepare a pallet for shipping. If you still have any doubts about preparing a pallet for shipping, Eurosender’s packing and shipping experts are always there to help you. Feel free to reach us on any of our channels! You can also check out more of our packing tips for different kind of things you want to send.
Now that you are well prepared for pallet shipping, you can order our services for the same and have an awesome shipping experience.
Last modified: May 23, 2018