Packing suitcases could be exactly what nightmares are made of, especially if you are trying to fit your whole life inside a carry-on luggage (don't act like you don’t ever do it – we all know you do). Whether you are an expat going home, or an Erasmus student trying to fit all your memories in one suitcase (sad story), you should not let your suitcase intimidate you. You only have to find what works best for you.
In Eurosender, we consider ourselves packing experts: as an international team, most of us travel regularly. We want to share our packing tips and show you what works for us. You will become a packing expert in no time!
First of all, are you having problems remembering all the items you need to take with you? We have the solution! Download our free Packing Checklist: it will remind you of everything you need to take with you. You can also add the quantities of each item. Whenever you have already packed a specific item, you can easily check it out of the list. In case something is not on the list, do not worry! There is also space to add a couple more.
So, before you start putting everything inside the suitcase, try to be rational about the process – it will save you some time in the long-run. Packing suitcases last minute is also not the best idea: there is a high chance of leaving something behind. Find the step by step manual with pictures below.
For demonstration purposes, we are using a small carry-on suitcase (about 50 cm x 35 cm x 20cm). However, this technique works with larger suitcases too. In this suitcase, we were able to pack 5 pairs of jeans, 7 shirts, 1 pair of heels, 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of flip-flops, 2 jackets, 1 packing cube with underwear and personal hygiene items.
1. Have your suitcase ready. Make sure it is in good condition before using it.
2. Fold your jeans in half and place them on the bottom of the suitcase. Only one-third of each pair should be inside the suitcase.
3. Before putting your shoes inside, put your socks in your shoes. This will help maintain the original shape of the shoe and should save you some space.
4. Put your shoes inside plastic bags and place them on the corners of the suitcase. The corners are usually more protected against impact.
5. Fold in the sleeves of your shirts and then roll them. This will save you a lot of space in the suitcase.
5. Place your shirts and packing cube inside your suitcase. Use the zipper spaces to put other items, like shoes and chargers.
6. Place your jackets on top of your shirts. Using compression bags will help.
7. After placing all your items inside, you can fold in your jeans.
8. If you want to pack books, place them inside before dealing with your shirts, or put them on top of the folded jeans.
9. Done! You are ready to go.
10. Now, are you planning to ship your luggage using courier services? Suitcases are usually solid enough to be sent without being put into a cardboard box. However, your suitcase must be properly closed and sealed, and then wrapped in stretch film. You can find more information here.
Packing suitcases is an easy task if you do it the right way. Our technique should help you make the most out of the space available in your suitcase and get your luggage ready for shipping. After knowing how to correctly pack and transport your suitcase, your only concern will be your adventure. Enjoy!