Shipping a care package to soldiers, everything you need to know
Luckily shipping a care package to soldiers abroad is easier than you think because they deserve it! Whether you are a mother, a wife or a friend, our troops deserve to be spoiled once in a while with a gift. A military care package is a parcel that may contain dried foods, power bars, pictures, pieces of clothing, etc. Sending someone a care package is a popular way of letting someone know that you miss them.
When sending a military care package, proper preparation is crucial. Knowing what to include in your shipment, determining the address and how to pack your parcel correctly and in the safest way, are just a few examples. In this article on sending a care package to troops overseas, we will give you some ideas for military care packages and how to book a shipment.
Sending a military care package overseas with Eurosender.
Eurosender helps people book affordable door-to-door shipping services in a matter of seconds. People from all over the world have turned to our shipping services for sending a military care package overseas. In addition to providing a simple booking system, through our platform, our customers can see the price instantaneously for most routes without having to compare any quotes themselves. Our courier providers can pick-up items from houses, apartments, offices, hotels, airports, etc. The most important thing, when shipping a care package to soldiers, is to provide a valid and accessible address for pick-up and delivery and ensure that the shipment is well protected for transportation.
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will be provided with the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to pack your items for shipping
Sending a care package to troops overseas: pack and ship
Eurosender helps people book cost-effective door-to-door shipping services in just a few clicks. People from all over the world have turned to our shipping services for sending a military care package overseas. In addition to providing a simple booking system, our customers can see the price instantaneously for most routes. So, no need to compare quotes by yourself. Our courier providers pick items up from houses, apartments, offices, hotels, airports, etc. The most important thing, when shipping a care package to soldiers, is to provide a valid and accessible address for pick-up and delivery and ensure that the shipment is well protected for transportation.
As mentioned before, a military care package can be anything from dried food to pieces of clothing. It is important to thoroughly consider what you put into the package. It will be much more appreciated by a soldier abroad when he or she receives a personal item. Here are a few ideas for military care packages:
- Food and drinks.
Perishable foods are a no-go as they easily spoil. However, it is possible to send some dried fruits, protein shakes, spices, , etc. You might want to add an additional portion to share with his fellow soldiers.
- Personal care.
Proper shampoo, shaving equipment or a new toothbrush are just a few ideas for a military care package.
- Games and sports equipment.
If you want them to have a good time, when they’re not in the field, you can send some board games, a handheld game console or some sports equipment.
- A different set of clothes.
It can help to relax soldiers and feel them at home if they are able to change to regular clothing when in the basecamp. A t-shirt of their favorite sports teams or rock band is a great idea.
If you have other ideas for military care packages, but you are not sure if shipping them is an option, then please contact us and we’ll be glad to help!
What is allowed and what is not when sending a care package to troops overseas?
Let’s take a look at what you should be aware of when preparing the package for your friend, family member or spouse.
- Items not recommended for shipping are things that might damage your own or surrounding packages during transport. Depending on the country, there might also be local restrictions related to the religious or political situation. Make sure you research the local import/export restrictions before shipping anything internationally.
- Home cooked food is not a good idea as is can easily turn bad or the containers can break during transport. Stick to dry foods and pack them well.
- You can ship electronics but there are several things to bear in mind.
- The original packaging and original invoice of the electronic devices (such as mobile phones, computers, etc.) have to be included with the shipment. When this is not the case, the insurance doesn’t apply to the shipment.
- Batteries can be shipped over both land and sea. However, it is prohibited to ship batteries by air.
Check your parcel’s dimensions
If there are any doubts about the measurements of your package or suitcase, use our shipment size checker hereunder. It will help you determine whether your parcel is eligible for our standard shipping service or not.
Recommended packaging for sending a care package to troops overseas
You want your package to arrive in perfect condition at your military friends. Therefore, packing your shipment is critical. The package could travel a long distance and might be transferred several times. With the packing materials below, you can pack almost any item you can imagine. Also be sure to check out our Pack & Ship series where we have individual guides for numerous things.
The packing materials can be bought both online and offline. Second-hand is also an option, as long as the packing materials are not damaged:
- Cushioning materials: bubble wrap, crumpled paper, packing peanuts.
- Protective materials: Styrofoam sheets, cardboard boxes and sheet, plastic foil.
- Tape and scissors: for sizing and sealing.
Why people choose Eurosender for shipping a care package to soldiers?
- We provide you with periodical reports of transit obstacles and you have access to 24/7 online tracking of your shipment.
- Each parcel sent as a standard shipment is insured with our standard insurance. Additional coverage is possible at very convenient rates.
- Assistance in your native language along the booking process and help in solving any potential delivery problem in the local language.
- In case of service problems of a primarily selected freight forwarder, we always have an available backup forwarder.
Which address should I give?
When shipping a care package to soldiers abroad, you’ll have to search for the protocol. You cannot send a parcel to an address as you would normally do. Look online for information on the website of your nation’s military or the general government page. Information that you might have to provide:
- Rank, initials, and name
- Name of the unit or ship
- Internal reference code
- Area code
The address field is a decisive part of successful delivery. Unfortunately, it sometimes happens that the address bar is not filled in correctly. As a result the courier might not be able to find the address, leading to a failed delivery. To avoid all this, just take a look at the example below and feel confident that your shipment will go to exactly the right address.
Choose the country of pick-up/delivery.
Ex.: United States of America
- Name & Surname
Name of the army base followed by the name of the consignee.
Ex.: Fort Drum, Colonel Mark Defoe
Fill out the address/the details received from the army base.
Ex.: Antwerp barracks, New York
- Additional info – Optional
Here you can add additional information.
Keep in mind that the courier doesn’t always take this info into consideration.
- Zip code
Add the zip code, please double check if it’s the right one.
Add the full name of the town or city.
Ex.: New York
- Phone number
Add the phone number of the army base if known, change the area code if needed.
Ex.: +1 20 1234 1234
When you have further questions on shipping a care package to soldier, or about one of our other services, feel free to get in touch by either email or phone! Our friendly customer agents will help you with a smile and in your local language!