What is the definition of FTL shipping
What is FTL shipping? FTL stands for Full Truck Load shipping. FTL shipping definition means that the shipment takes up the entire load space of the vehicle courier. Some things to know about FTL shipments:
- FTL shipments consist of 10 pallets or more, depending on the vehicle of the courier.
- FTL shipments are delivered in the same truck as they are picked up.
How to place an order with Eurosender?
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will be provided with the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to prepare your items for shipping.
When to choose FTL shipping?
- FTL shipping for businesses
- Businesses frequently opt for FTL shipping for the following reasons.
- When shipping high volumes (10 pallets or more to the same destination which can be both stackable and non-stackable).
- FTL shipping is also used for fragile and high-risk items. They might not need the entire space of the truck, but shippers like to make sure their items are well-protected.
- When looking for fast delivery. FTL Shipping is fast because it is dedicated to only one shipper and therefore only stops at the delivery point.
- FTL shipping for individuals
- In most cases, FTL delivery is used by businesses rather than individuals. However, there are some situations where FTL is the right option.
- Relocation: Relocating to another town or even country, involves moving all your belongings to your new house or apartment. When you have enough to fill an entire truck, FTL is the cheapest option. When you don’t have enough to fill a full truck, opt for LTL shipping (for cheap shipping on pallets) or our Dedicated Van Delivery, for a van that is only loaded with your items and that goes directly from pick-up to delivery. Keep in mind that the dimensions of the van are smaller than of the trucks used for FTL shipping.
Benefits of FTL shipping
Listed below, you find the benefits of FTL shipping and what that means for you or your organization.
- Cost-effective: FTL delivery is the cheapest option when shipping large volumes regularly.
- Safety: LTL shipments usually have multiple stops and are handled several times during transport. FTL shipments usually go directly from A to B, which means that your shipment is safer when it comes to things as theft and damage.
- Extra services: With FTL shipments, services such as liftgates, pick-up and deliver inside, etc. can be included. Freeze protection is currently not provided by Eurosender.
- Speed: Compared to LTL shipping, FTL shipping is much faster as there are no stops for deliveries along the way.
Type of items that can be shipped through FTL
Whether FTL shipping is the best option for your shipment depends on the traits of these items, for example, weight and size. Here are some things that are suitable for FTL delivery.
- When you are new to the Eurosender platform, it is good to start with knowing what you can send.
- FTL shipments are usually packed on pallets. For this, it is essential to know which type of pallet to choose and how to pack it.
- Eurosender provides you with a catalogue of shipping guides for varying items in our pack and ship series. FTL shipping is suitable for high volumes of large items such as carpets, bricks and tiles and farming equipment.
- FTL shipping services are a cost-effective option when relocating. For more details about relocating abroad, check out for example:
Costs of FTL shipping
Below you find the factors which determine the price when requesting an FTL shipping quote.
- Weight and size
- Type of shipment
- Additional services
- Remote area surcharges.
- Changes in the address details or pick-up time.
- Failed pick-up (the customer was not present when the pick-up was supposed to take place)
Knowing what your shipment needs, means that you can determine the cost. On top of that, here are some tips to save on your FTL shipments.
- Optimize the efficiency within your organization. Think of labour when preparing shipments, preparing documents, and software to optimize your business processes.
- Increase your lead time, and you can plan your shipping ahead, resulting in more choice in shipping companies and a more extensive range of different prices.
- Collaborate with Eurosender. We work with a vast network of logistics providers and can provide you with the best price for your shipment.
- Analyze your shipping every quarter and see where you saved and lost money.
- Avoid accessories such as extra pick-ups, long-haul fees, remote area surcharges, additional delivery, etc.
Requesting FTL shipping quotes. How does it work?
Requesting FTL shipping quotes is faster when you have the following details at hand:
- Exact dimensions: Number of pallets, length, width, and height, plus the weight in kg.
- Content and value: Content of the shipment and the value in the local currency.
- Pick-up and delivery address: Both should be complete with city/town, street name and number, postal code, name, and telephone number of the consignee.
When you have determined all the details, you can contact our team of logistics experts to get the best FTL shipping quotes. With our massive network of logistics companies, our specialists will find the fastest and cheapest option, catered to your needs. Don’t wait any longer and see how we can help you save on your shipping budget.
Preparing FTL shipments and FTL packaging materials
After placing an order for FTL delivery, the next step is to prepare your shipment. Besides that, it is vital that you use the right packaging materials to give your shipment proper protection.
To avoid damage and claims packing your items is essential. With the tips below, your items will be ready for transport.
- Packing materials
- FTL shipments are often shipped on pallets. When doing so, it is crucial that you choose the right type of pallets.
- Corrugated shipping containers which are basically big cardboard boxes.
- Packing things in crates is the best option when shipping machinery, breakable items, and other equipment.
- Packing Tips
- Start with the heaviest items on the bottom.
- After you pack the pallet, you strap everything together using shrink wrap.
- When your packed pallets are stackable, you can place more in the truck.
- Stay within the parameters of the pallet. Things hanging over the edge of the pallet can be a reason for the damage and additional costs.
Having the right packing is not all. Preparing FTL shipments also includes:
- FTL Shipment documentation: A Bill of Lading (BOL) is required when using FTL shipping services. On the BOL you find details like name, details of the consignee, type of goods being shipped, packaging, etc.
- Include documents for any possible custom clearance procedures. (This only applies for international shipping)
- Dimensions: Measure the dimensions after packing, which is essential for finding out the price of your FTL shipment.
- Pick-Up: After packing and preparing the documents, you have to get your shipment ready for pick-up. Make sure this can happen as quickly as possible to avoid any delays in delivery.
FTL shipping through Eurosender
Eurosender offers the most comprehensive logistics platform for both private as corporate users. By using our network of logistics companies and our unique technology, we can provide you with the fastest and most cost effective solution for your shipping with an efficient combination of transport. Whether you are a frequent shipper or not, shipping with Eurosender means:
- Increased efficiency and accuracy of your shipments.
- Reduce risks.
- Benefit from our immense network of logistics companies that we cooperate with.
- Make choices regarding your shipments based on data.
- High safety standards and high quality of service.
Contact our multilingual customer support team, when you have more questions about FTL shipping definition, FTL shipping quotes, or anything else you want to discuss.