Shipping birthday cakes – internationally and domestically
Shipping cakes, desserts and other perishable items can be tricky, but with the right advice and courier service, it is possible. Check out our guidelines on how to prepare and pack a birthday cake for shipping.
ARE YOU A BUSINESS?
Business logistics solutions – in one place
Shipping domestically or internationally – with Eurosender
Eurosender combines multiple shipping options in one single platform. Find out which service is the best match for your requirements:
How to prepare and pack a cake for shipping
- Use thick icing for protection – to keep the cake moist during transit. Non-decorated cakes without cake ornaments are easier to transport, so if possible, pack any decorations separately.
- Wrap tightly – using multiple layers of cling-film, then an additional layer of bubble-wrap. Place the cake onto a cake-stand and secure it with an extra layer of cling-wrap.
- Place into Styrofoam cooler – to keep the cake cool during transport. Place gel cold-packs around the cake for added temperature control.
- Place into box – nest the cake cooler on a layer of foam peanuts and place additional cushioning around the cake to ensure it cannot shift while the box is being transported.
- Seal and label the box – Mark the box ‘This Side Up’ to minimise the risk of mishandling and damage during transport.
Get an instant quote for your shipment
Frequently asked questions about cake shipping services
Can I ship a cake by courier or mail?
Which packing materials will I need to transport a birthday cake safely?
Depending on the type of cake you wish to transport, we recommend to use the following packing materials to minimise the risk of damage or spoiling when transporting a birthday cake:
- Cake holder or separate plastic containers – Place the first tier of your birthday cake onto a cake holder. If you are transporting a multi-tiered cake, place each tier into a separate plastic container.
- Styrofoam cooler box – to maintain the temperature and slow down thawing while transporting a birthday cake or shipping perishable goods.
- Frozen gel packs – will help to keep the items cool when shipping birthday cakes internationally and domestically. Take extra care to ensure that gel packs won’t damage the cake packaging when melting, by adding an additional layer of plastic wrap.
- Wooden crate or a strong cardboard box – to prevent damage from other items during transport, a wooden box is the ideal packaging whether shipping a birthday cake individually or on a pallet.
Take into consideration these guidelines when shipping a birthday cake. Nevertheless, please consider that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. In case you decide to ship a birthday cake, Eurosender will not be held responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.