Is it possible to send a birthday cake abroad via courier?
There might be multiple occasions for shipping birthday cakes internationally. If you want to congratulate your parent, relative, or friend who lives far from your place of permanent residence, then it is better to send a birthday cake abroad via courier. In case you have your own bakery and make exclusive wedding cakes, baby shower cakes, or birthday cakes, then you might want to send those culinary masterpieces to your clients who live in distant cities or countries. A few questions concerning shipping birthday cakes internationally or domestically might also interest you. Most likely you would like to know the cost of sending a birthday cake abroad and conditions for transporting a birthday cake. Thus, we have prepared this article where you can find the answers to these questions along with other essential recommendations on shipping birthday cakes internationally.
Make a simulation for the price of shipping services to any destination /order]
What are the conditions for transporting a birthday cake?
Birthday cakes, wedding cakes, baby shower cakes, or any other cakes and desserts are obviously perishable goods that usually require a temperature-controlled environment during transportation. It is possible to ship food and particularly send a birthday cake abroad via courier, but consider that such products are on the list of the restricted items of many courier companies. It means that shipping birthday cakes internationally will be solely your responsibility as any damages will not be compensated.
Before you send a birthday cake abroad via courier, you need to take care of conditions for transporting a birthday cake. That is why it is advisable to ask your local courier service providers for special delivery services for such items as birthday cakes, weddings cakes, cupcakes, desserts, etc. For instance, there are first-class and special delivery services in the UK offered by Royal Mail. Other reputable companies in the market also offer exclusive services for such kinds of goods by providing vans or other means of transport with refrigerators and slots for keeping items safe and immovable.
How to prepare and pack a birthday cake for shipping?
Depending on the particular type of cake, whether it is a sponge cake or a cheesecake, you should take care of proper packaging and ensure adequate conditions for transporting a birthday cake. That is why you need to collect the following packing materials first:
- Cake holder. This type of packaging is typical for smaller cakes. If you need to send a large 2-tier or 3-tier wedding cake, then plastic containers would be a preferable option.
- Styrofoam disposable cooler. It is essential for granting a temperature-controlled environment for a birthday cake.
- Styrofoam peanuts are for making the cake holder immovable inside the box.
- Frozen gel packs are necessary to freeze the cake and prevent it from melting.
- Cardboard box. You need to take one for packing a cake cooler inside it.
- Wooden box. You might prefer using a wooden box instead of a cardboard one because it is much sturdier and safe.
- Labels are inevitable in the case of shipping birthday cakes internationally to signify the nature of the item shipped.
- Adhesive tape and scissors. Those materials are needed to seal the box.
Guidelines for packing a birthday cake properly:
- Use a protective icing to create an additional layer to keep the cake moist while travelling long distances.
- Freeze the cake to ensure that it keeps its shape during transportation.
- Wrap the cake. Take a special cake holder or a plastic container that fits the size of the cake.
- Place the cake in a Styrofoam disposable cooler to prevent it from melting by putting plenty of frozen gel packs all around.
- Place the cake cooler in the box. Whether you decide to use cardboard or wooden box, you need to put some Styrofoam peanuts on the bottom first. Nest a cake cooler inside the box and add extra packing peanuts to make the cake immovable. Seal the box with the help of adhesive tape.
- Add labelling. Mark the box with ‘This Side Up’ sign with a large arrow pointing up and add labels with ‘Fragile’ and ‘Perishable’.
What is the cost of sending a birthday cake abroad?
Before you send a birthday cake abroad via courier, it is necessary to get to know the prices for domestic or international shipping. As a rule, the average prices for shipping services inland start from $5, but consider that everything depends on the particular company, the weight of the cake, and specific conditions for transporting a birthday cake. When shipping birthday cakes internationally, the prices would be considerably higher but will still depend on the size of the cake and the final destination address. We at Eurosender would like to help you with shipping cakes and desserts, but this type of service is not available yet. Anyway, we would gladly help you to ship other types of items.
If you want to get more details about shipping birthday cakes internationally, contact our experienced support team agents for more information.
Take into consideration these guidelines when shipping a birthday cake. Nevertheless, please consider that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. We strongly recommend choosing dedicated service when you decide to ship a birthday cake. In case you book shipping services on our website for sending a birthday cake, Eurosender will not be responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.