How to ship a flamenco dress abroad
Flamenco is Spain’s most famous music and dance, without any doubt. This music genre, born in Andalusia and deeply intertwined with the history of the Roma people has evolved to be famous worldwide and recognised everywhere in the world. Many tourists and travellers visit tablaos to watch and hear the dancing and singing, and you can find flamenco schools everywhere from Tokyo to Cape Town.
Have you recently visited Spain and want to know how to ship a flamenco dress abroad? Are you worried you have bought a dress and need tips for packing a flamenco dress properly? Do you want to make a present for a loved one but are not sure how to fold a mantón safely? Our experts have created this guide for you with useful information and specific flamenco dress packing tips.
How to ship a flamenco dress abroad with Eurosender
Shipping castanets, a flamenco dress, a Manila shawl, hair accessories earring and other flamenco accessories though Eurosender is very simple.
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, insert the number of packages and their weight.
You will immediately receive the best available offer
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service
Get informed how to ship a flamenco dress abroad, how to fold a mantón or manila shawl for a safe delivery.
Do you want to ship more than a package? Are you planning on shipping castanets, fans, shoes or other accessories in bulk? Is the parcel too big or too heavy? We can craft an individual offer tailored to your need so you can always find the best and most suitable offer.
How to ship a flamenco dress abroad
How to ship a flamenco dress abroad with Eurosender? Once you have read our guide about packing a flamenco dress properly and you have successfully packed a dress, shoes, castanets, a Manila shawl or any other item you can start with the booking process. With our platform hipping a flamenco dress abroad is very easy.
- Measure your parcel after you have packed and prepared it inside a box or suitcase. Insert the exact dimensions in the Shipment Size Checker on our page and you will immediately see which service is suitable for you. The system will also tell you if a tailored offer is needed.
- Always check whether you have to print and attach the shipping label yourself.
- If you have plans to leave the pick-up address in the near future, make sure you book the service at least 2 days prior to your departure. This way, you will be able to avoid any problems with the pick-up and ensure a smooth delivery process. You can check the courier holiday schedule to be sure you avoid any unnecessary delays.
Packing a flamenco properly: packing materials
The most important thing our clients can do before shipping a flamenco dress abroad is making sure they have packed the parcel thoroughly and safely. The first step in our guide on how to ship a flamenco dress abroad is packing materials. You will need:
- Cardboard box(es) – all items shipped through Eurosender need to be stored in a sturdy cardboard box, the courier will not take a dress packed in a clothing bag and nothing else. Use two boxes, one slightly bigger than the other, for extra protection. You can find these boxes in hardware stores and most supermarkets, just make sure that they do not have any holes and that they are big and sturdy enough to fit your dress, your shoes, a hat or any other item you want to ship.
Some of our customers choose to use a suitcase. Although packing a flamenco dress properly in a suitcase is possible, make sure that it is big enough to fit the entire dress. All zippers should be closed and you should wrap the suitcase with protective film!
- Garment bag – any type of waterproof garment bag will do, as long as it is big enough to fit your flamenco dress. If you have the garment bag the dressmaker gave you upon purchase, keep it and use to pack the dress. If that is not the case, you can find one online or in any physical store that sells house supplies.
- Acid-free tissue paper or unbleached muslin – you can find these items mostly in fabric stores, in preservation equipment shops and online. These protect the colour of the dress and will not stain. If your dress has many ruffles or These are especially important in case you need to fold the dress before storing it into the bag. Normal tissue is not recommended since it contains acid that can damage the dress.
- Adhesive tape and scissors – you might have these two essential household items already. They will be used to seal the cardboard box after the dress is carefully placed in it.
To pack smaller accessories such as shoes, fans, hair flowers, and jewellery, you will need:
- Ziplock bags.
- Bubble wrap.
- Packing peanuts.
- A small cardboard box.
For shipping castanets, you will need a small cloth bag or the original packaging, plus a plastic Ziploc bag or bubble wrap to protect them during transit.
Packing a flamenco dress properly: Flamenco dress packing tips
Once you have all the proper packing materials you can start packing a flamenco dress properly. The most important thing is that you treat the dress with care and employ enough time. Remember not only the courier may not take the dress if it is not packed correctly, but the courier company will not have any liability if the dress gets damaged due to improper packaging.
Flamenco dress packing tips
You have gathered all your packing materials and are ready to start folding and packing.
- Clean the dress: if you just bought it from a dressmaker or if you are sending it back for alterations, the dress will probably be clean if it’s not, the best way to clean it is by hand, using lukewarm water and removing dust and dirt from ruffles and fringes by hand. If not, you can put it in a mild washer cycle, and never use fabric softener!
- Make sure the dress is dry and ironed.
- Remove the fringe: when possible, remove or unstitch the fringe. Put it in a ziplock bag or fold between two pieces of muslin or non-acidic paper.
- Fold the dress between two pieces of muslin or paper. Ideally, you would fold the dress as few times as possible.
- Try to keep the ruffles towards the centre of the folded piece.
- If you have a garment bag. Put the dress inside. Pin the shoulders to the hanger so it does not slip.
- Take the bag or the folded dress and put in a box. Put bubble wrap, packing paper or packing peanuts to fill the box and make sure the dress does not move inside the box.
- Take the bigger box and coat the bottom with packing peanuts. Put the smaller box with the dress inside and cover it with the same cushioning material. box and put it inside a bigger box.
- Seal the box. Cover all of the box’s openings with adhesive tape and shake it slightly to see if everything stays in place. If you suspect that the box is not strong enough, please change it or take extra protective measures.
How to ship flamenco shoes abroad
- To ship flamenco shoes abroad, you will need the same materials.
- Find a box to fit your shoes, ideally the original.
- Stuff your shoes with crumpled paper to ensure they do not lose shape during transportation. Cover the buckle with a piece of paper.
- Put the shoes in the box and wrap them in bubble wrap or packing paper. If there are still empty spaces in the box, use packing peanuts.
- You can put this box in a slightly bigger box for extra protection.
Castanets are essential to flamenco, and some dancers and singers take great care of this instrument, which takes years to master. If you have bought a pair of castanets while on a trip and want to start practising, shipping castanets is the best solution. Follow the instructions below to ship castanets abroad or read more about shipping musical instruments with Eurosender.
- If you keep the original packaging, it’s ideal. Put the castanets inside. If it is a fabric bag you will need extra protection. If it is a case, you can put id directly in a box, protected by cushioning materials.
- If you do not have the original packaging, put a piece of cardboard between the two parts and make a bundle with wrap paper. This way they will not touch during transportation and the wood will not crease.
- Wrap the bag in bubble wrap and put it in a box, surrounded by cushioning material.
- You can always put this one in a bigger box for extra protection.
You want to ship hair accessories, jewellery or smaller items? Follow the same instructions and your package will be safe during transportation.
How to fold a mantón: ship a Manila shawl safely
Manila shawls are precious, one of a kind items and many of them are created in high-quality silk and delicately embroidered. To ship a Manila shawl safely you will need to fold it first. Because they are very large, folding a Manila shawl is better done between two people.
- Fold it in half. Pick the corners from the middle and drop the fringe corners. This way the fringe is extended and will not tangle.
- Fold it again while vertical, bringing the fringed corners up and fold the fringe over the shawl. The fold again in half, so that the fringe stays extended between two folds.
- Now you have a rectangle. Fold it in half putting the two shorter sides together and put the remaining fringe inside that fold.
- Put the folded piece on a flat surface, making sure all the fringe is inside the folded layers. Fold a couple of times more, without putting pressure on the fabric. Your Manila shawl is ready to go on the box!
Once you are sure you know how to fold a mantón, and it is properly folded, you can cover it with a layer of non-acidic paper or muslin. Put the shawl in a box and make sure it does not move inside, you can use more paper to do so. You can put the shawl inside a waterproof bag, but make sure no plastic touches the silk because it could be damaged. Close and secure the box.
Shipping a flamenco dress abroad with Eurosender
There are many reasons why our clients may decide to book a service to ship flamenco accessories. Shipping a flamenco dress abroad o domestically can be the best solution in many situations, for example:
- Selling flamenco dresses online. Are you a small business owner that wants to expand to the international market? You can ship flamenco dresses and many other accessories and items safely and we will find the best price your you and your company! Are you an individual selling a second-hand dress? Contact us and find the best shipping solutions.
- Modifying or repairing flamenco dresses or castanets: is your flamenco dress broken and you want the original dressmaker to repair it? Shipping and packing a flamenco dress properly to send it back.
- Shipping a flamenco dress abroad from Spain after a holiday: Did you fall in love with flamenco dancing in Spain and would like to bring a dress home with you? You can avoid the airline fees for extra luggage and ship with Eurosender.
- As a present for a loved one.
If you have any questions on how to ship a flamenco dress abroad, how to ship a Manila shawl safely or anything else shipping related, feel free to contact us. Our customer support team will be more than happy to assist you.