Discover how to pack and ship fragile items
Shipping fragile or breakable items may be tricky, but definitely not impossible. At Eurosender, we offer tips and advice from experts on the best way to transport delicate goods. Benefit from our experience in the field and read our tips on how to safely pack fragile items for shipping.
ARE YOU A BUSINESS?
Join other +45k SMEs who are shipping with us and benefitting from our already negotiated delivery prices. Create your own logistics department and have easy access to manage all your operations.
- Centralised invoicing is available to simplify your operations.
- One single platform where you can book all shipping methods.
- We are here to assist you in every step of the way.
How to ship fragile items?
Choose the delivery service that best suits your needs and organise the delivery in a few simple steps.
What to know before shipping fragile items?
The last thing your company needs is to have broken or damaged items delivered to your clients. Follow these steps to make sure your breakable and fragile items will be safely shipped.
- Properly protect your fragile good for shipping. Appropriate packaging is of utmost importance to guarantee your product will arrive at its destination in one-piece.
- Measure the dimensions and weight of your package to determine the most adequate shipping service for you.
- Check if you are required to print and attach the shipping label to your parcel. We will send this information via email once the service is confirmed.
- Use our calculator to estimate the time of delivery. We recommend planning your order for shipping fragile items in advance to avoid any inconveniences.
How to pack fragile items for shipping
Our logistics experts have put together recommendations that will help you properly pack fragile and breakable items. The following guidelines apply for shipping a vase, a plate, glasses, a painting or any other fragile item.
- Wrap each item individually in bubble wrap and secure with tape. When shipping glasses or any item of similar shape, fill the piece with crumpled paper before wrapping it.
- When shipping oddly shaped items, add crumpled paper or an extra box to make the shape “less odd”.
- Place the item in a previously padded box and fill all empty spaces with more cushioning. Make sure the objects are immovable and seal the box with adhesive tape.
- For extra protection, pad a bigger box with polystyrene sheets, insert the smaller box in it, and seal it.
- You can also add warnings such as “Fragile” or “Handle with care” on your box, however, the courier is not obliged to treat it as such if the shipping service is not dedicated to fragile items.
FAQ – Shipping fragile items or breakable goods overseas
What are the necessary packaging materials for safely packing fragile items?
Make sure you have the right packaging materials when protecting delicate and fragile items for shipping. We recommend using the following:
- Cardboard boxes of different sizes.
- Cushioning materials: packing peanuts, bubble wrap, packing paper, polystyrene, etc.
- Adhesive tape and scissors.
What is the best way of packing fragile goods for freight shipments?
When shipping delicate and breakable items on a pallet, it is of utmost importance to ensure they are correctly packed. For this, simply follow our previous instructions and make sure the items are compact and immovable. Additionally, we strongly advise securing the objects with a crate when shipping fragile items by freight, especially when transporting or moving larger fragile items. The crate can be built with plywood sheets or wooden boards.
Where can I get a box for shipping fragile items?
When packing fragile items, you can use new or used cardboard boxes. However, always make sure that they are strong and undamaged (without dents or holes) before sending fragile items with courier services. Cardboard boxes can be found in stationary stores or supermarkets.
What items can be considered as fragile?
Any item that is delicate and/or breakable can be considered as fragile, for example, ceramics or glassware. Check our dedicated pages and read our guidelines or how to pack each of these fragile items.
How do people send fragile items in the mail?
Your main concern when shipping fragile items should be guaranteeing that it is safely protected so that the item can reach its destination still in one piece. Since glassware and other delicate items are great gift ideas, people often decide to ship fragile items overseas through the post and use soft items such as clothes for protection. However, we strongly advise using appropriate packaging materials when shipping fragile and breakable items as gifts since you are sending them at your own risk.
What is the cost of shipping fragile items internationally?
The cost of internationally shipping fragile or any type of items by courier is calculated based on the pick-up and delivery countries, the dimensions of the parcel and the service selected. For comparing the shipping rates of different logistics providers, simply use our booking tool above.
Do people ship fragile items after buying or selling them online?
Yes, courier services are very frequently used for online sales. Many people decide to buy or sell fragile items abroad through the internet since it makes it much easier to access stores that are located in other cities or countries. However, when shipping fragile or breakable items internationally, whether you are sending them as a gift or purchase, make sure to make a safe and resistant packaging since these items are frequently considered as restricted or prohibited to ship by the courier companies.