Things you should know about industrial hemp transportation
There are many questions related to the legality of cannabis-based products international transportation and industrial hemp export. This concern arises as shipping regulations for industrial hemp differ from country to country. Even though hemp contains little or no THC (the element that causes psychoactive effect), many states impose restrictions on industrial hemp transportation. In this article, you will find the information on shipping regulations for industrial hemp along with tips on how to pack industrial hemp properly for transit.
How to ship industrial hemp?
Even if you have a license for cultivating industrial hemp for commercial purposes or your country does not impose any restrictions on growing hemp, you need to double-check whether there are any particular shipping regulations for industrial hemp. It means that industrial hemp export rules might be different in the country of destination compared to those in your home country, so it is better to verify it in case you planning to ship hemp abroad. Therefore, you have to consider the following several things before arranging industrial hemp transportation via courier.
- Pack industrial hemp properly for shipping. Follow the packaging guidelines in order to prepare hemp for transportation.
- Verify whether any specific documentation is needed. Even though certain countries allow cultivation and transportation of industrial hemp, you might still need phytosanitary certificates. That is why it is necessary to check whether any documents are needed before you place an order for shipping industrial hemp.
- Check the list of restricted and prohibited items of the courier company. Some logistics companies refuse to transport certain kinds of goods and products. That is why it is better to verify that before booking shipping services.
- Do not send illegal products. By no means, you are allowed to send cannabis-based products for recreational purposes via courier. Shipping such items in a parcel might lead to severe punishment in case your package is checked by customs or confiscated.
If you need more information about industrial hemp transportation or want to place an order on our platform whether you intend to ship industrial hemp or other items, don’t hesitate to contact our logistics specialists for more details.
Packaging materials for industrial hemp
There are no standardized requirements for materials to be used for packing industrial hemp. However, you should pack industrial hemp properly for shipping to minimize the risk of its loss or damage during transit. Here is the list of essential packaging materials you will need to protect industrial hemp in transit.
- Cardboard boxes – we highly recommended using cardboard boxes for shipping practically anything. You can take one in a stationary or hardware store. Make sure that it is sturdy enough.
- Sacks – after hemp harvest is over, hemp bales can be placed in sacks before further transportation.
- Straps – they are used to secure sacks and protect hemp bales from being disintegrated.
- Foam wrap and bubble wrap – these packaging materials serve as cushioning materials and additional protection.
- Adhesive tape – it is used to secure packaging materials or any other items.
How to pack industrial hemp properly
Proper packaging is essential when you are planning industrial hemp transportation. Just follow several simple steps to get your shipment ready for transit.
- Prepare hemp bales. Make sure that hemp bales are not too big or too small and cover them with foam wrap. Fix the edges of foam wrap with adhesive tape or straps.
- Put hemp bales in a cardboard box. If there are empty spaces left, put some extra bubble wrap to fill the voids.
- Seal the box. Make sure that a hemp bale is not shifting around the box and close it by using plenty of adhesive tape.
- Measure your shipment. Take the dimensions of your package and insert them in the Shipment Size Checker to find out which type of shipping services would be the most appealing for you.
Is industrial hemp export legal?
Both industrial hemp and well-known marihuana are derived from the Cannabis sativa species. However, they are different in terms of the concentration of THC and the primary purpose of use. Industrial hemp serves as a basis of a variety of commercial products, including automotive parts, furniture, building materials, textiles, shoes, biofuel, and beauty products.
The legal framework of industrial hemp export and industrial hemp transportation varies across states. While some countries allow cultivation of hemp and manufacturing of CBD products, others appear to be much stricter. For instance, a provision in the 2018 Farm Bill states that hemp is no longer illegal on the federal level in the USA. At the same time, nine states of the USA prohibit hemp production under any circumstances. Meanwhile, industrial hemp may be grown under license in the UK. It is also widely accepted in the European Union as the regulations allow cultivating and supplying cannabis plants for hemp fibre if they have low levels of THC (less than 0,2%). Even though the EU law clearly states that growth and distribution of hemp is legal, each member state is eligible to adopt its own regulations. Therefore, it is always essential to check shipping regulations for industrial hemp if you plan to send some abroad or domestically.
If you want to know how to pack industrial hemp properly or want to know more about shipping regulations for industrial hemp, contact our friendly logistics experts for help.
Take into consideration these guidelines when shipping industrial hemp. Nevertheless, please consider that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. In case you decide to ship industrial hemp, Eurosender will not be responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.