How to ship hemp products
With hemp farming becoming more common in certain places worldwide, many businesses and individual shippers wish to know, ‘can you ship hemp and how to import and export industrial hemp legally?’ If you are thinking of transporting hemp, be sure to first check if this is possible and how to prepare for industrial hemp delivery.
How to ship hemp – delivery options
Transportation solutions to consider depending on the size and time-sensitivity of your shipment:
How to pack hemp for shipping – Industrial hemp
When you plan to ship industrial hemp in bulk, proper packing is essential to avoid damage during transport. Prepare for industrial hemp transportation and ship your hemp in a few easy steps:
- Prepare hemp bales by bundling the hemp fibre together using strong twine or plastic straps
- Cover with foam wrap and secure with tape or additional plastic straps
- For small bales – place hemp bales into a box and use bubble wrap or newspaper to fill any gaps.
- For large bales – place into a large cardboard box or secure onto a pallet using pallet straps and shrink-wrap
- Seal and label the box or pallet if required
How to pack hemp products for shipping
Depending on the type of hemp product you want to ship, packaging guidelines may differ. When packing hemp products, it is crucial to ensure the products are well cushioned and protected.
- Liquid hemp products: Place them into a zip-lock bag first, to avoid leakage. Then place them into an appropriately-sized box, and fill any extra space with additional cushioning, such as newspaper or packing peanuts.
- Hemp oils and CBD products: Check our page on shipping hemp oil, cannabis seeds, CBD products and other cannabis-based products.
Frequently asked questions about shipping industrial hemp
Do all couriers allow the shipping of hemp products?
What kinds of hemp products do people send through courier services?
Products made from hemp biomass are becoming more and more popular, as hemp has a variety of uses and benefits. Some hemp products which people choose to send include:
- Hemp oils, for cooking, aromatherapy and beauty treatments
- Hemp cosmetics and beauty products
- Hemp clothing and accessories, including jeans, coats, backpacks and sunglasses
- Pet products, including toys, leashes and collars
- Hemp paper and stationery
Can you ship hemp products and industrial hemp through courier services?
Shipping hemp products and industrial hemp via courier are possible, but the limits vary between regions. In the European Union, most couriers will accept hemp products that contain less than 0.2% THC, while in Australia, the limit is 0.005% THC.
However, please be aware that shipping cannabis-based products are illegal in some destinations, so you should check the concentration and regulations of the specific destination carefully as well as the courier limitations.
Please consider that sending cannabis-based products for recreational purposes which contain a concentration of THC higher than 0.2% by courier, is not allowed with most couriers and in most countries in the EU.
Individuals who choose to ship industrial hemp without the proper authorisation do so at their own risk, and insurance will not apply.