How to transport kefir grains, yoghurt, and dairy products
Healthy lifestyle and nutrition are of great interest to the public at the moment. Many people are highly concerned about consuming natural and organic products, so they even tend to explore the ways to grow their own food and make dairy products at home. In this article, you will find some basic information on how to transport kefir grains and discover the best way to store kefir grains safely to produce yoghurt in further. Moreover, you will get to know more about yoghurt transportation conditions if you plan to send it with courier services.
Things to consider before shipping yoghurt abroad or domestically
If you are interested in shipping yoghurt, kefir, milk, or other dairy products, you need to thoroughly prepare them for transportation. That is why we will list yoghurt transportation conditions and provide you with other essential guidelines regarding packaging and shipping yoghurt abroad or inland.
- Pack your shipment. You have to use the appropriate packaging materials and equipment to protect dairy products during transit and make sure they will not get spoilt. When your shipment is already packed, decide which type of shipping services would be suitable for you by using Shipment Size Checker.
- Consult with our logistics experts. Contact our team of professionals to learn more about yoghurt transportation conditions. They will also advise you whether it would be possible to accommodate transportation services as shipping yoghurt abroad and domestically usually requires a temperature-controlled environment. You will be also able to get to know how to transport kefir grains and what would be the right packaging in that case.
- Place an order in advance. We recommend booking shipping services for yoghurt transportation at least 2 business days prior to the planned pick-up date.
- Estimate the delivery date. Use our online tool to estimate the approximate delivery date of your parcel or freight.
Materials for packaging yoghurt and kefir grains
To ensure safe transportation conditions for dairy products, including yoghurt and kefir, you have to take the corresponding packaging materials. It is possible to buy all of them either at a hardware store or in the supermarket. If you are concerned about environmental sustainability, you can take used packaging materials, but make sure that they can grant the required level of protection.
- Glass container – it is the best way to store kefir grains in glass jars or containers.
- Ziploc or plastic bags – you can put kefir grains in a plastic bag to store and transport them as well.
- Paper towels – they are needed to cover the primary packaging of kefir grains.
- Bubble wrap – you can use it to cover glass containers with kefir grains or glass bottles with yoghurt.
- Cooler bags – once you place dairy products in a thermal bag, you will make sure that your products are stored safely at the required temperature for at least several hours.
- Dry ice packs – it is recommended to add dry ice packs when shipping dairy products to create the effect of refrigerator that way.
- Cardboard boxes – all shipments sent via courier services must be arranged in cardboard boxes as a preferred method of packaging.
- Cushioning materials – those are used for creating additional protection for the items transported inside the box.
- Packing tape – it is needed for sealing the box and covering the shipment.
How to pack yoghurt and kefir grains for transportation
Shipping yoghurt abroad might take several days, so you have to pack it properly for transportation. You will discover how to transport kefir grains and yoghurt internationally and domestically to ensure appropriate conditions during transit.
- Prepare kefir grains for shipping. Put kefir grains in a plastic bag or a glass container, add 3 tbs of cold water and a pinch of sugar. Seal the bag or container, cover it with a paper towel and then with bubble wrap, and put it in a cooler bag together with dry ice packs.
- Pack yoghurt. Take glass or plastic bottles with yoghurt and place them carefully in a thermal bag. Add plenty of dry ice packs to keep yoghurt refrigerated.
- Put items inside the cardboard box. Add some cushioning materials on the bottom of the box and place dairy products in it afterwards. Make sure that the items do not shift around the box. If any movement is detected, add extra cushioning materials to fill the voids inside the box.
- Seal the box. Take adhesive tape for sealing all the seams of the box so that it does not get breached during transportation.
Most courier service providers consider dairy products as perishable foods which are on the list of restricted items as packages with such goods have a high risk of leakages or spoilage, especially when not packaged properly. Therefore, we recommend adhering to the guidelines listed above for preparing yoghurt and kefir grains for transportation. Anyway, shipping perishable products are under the sole responsibility of the consignor which means that insurance coverage would not apply in case of any damages during transit.
Other things you need to know about dairy products transportation
We want to provide more useful pieces of information for you besides the guidelines for shipping yoghurt abroad and domestically. Thus, you will find a brief Q&A section with frequently asked questions and answers to them.
How to send a yoghurt maker?
Do you want to send a yoghurt maker to your friends? Do you have a small business for providing yoghurt making supplies? Eurosender will arrange shipping services for sending a yoghurt maker. Check the instructions on how to pack a yoghurt maker on our dedicated page about household appliances and kitchen utensils.
How to make kefir grains?
Many people who want to make homemade yoghurt wonder how to make kefir grains. While it takes some time to grow kefir grains, you can simply acquire them from your local kefir maker. Otherwise, you can take advantage of courier services and discover how to transport kefir grains.
What is the best way to store kefir grains?
If you do not need kefir grains right away, you can keep them idle instead. However, you need to make sure that they will not spoil, so it is better to store them in a glass jar with milk or water/sugar solution in the fridge. Another best way to store kefir grains is to dry or freeze them.
Yoghurt and kefir grains international shipping
Before shipping yoghurt abroad or domestically, contact our experts to learn more about yoghurt transportation conditions and kefir grains international shipping. They will try their best to accommodate shipping services for you.
Take into consideration these guidelines when shipping yoghurt, kefir, and other dairy products. Nevertheless, please consider that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. In case you decide to ship yoghurt, kefir, and other dairy products, Eurosender will not be responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.