Moving to Austria. What to know when relocating to Austria
Things to know when moving to Austria
On the right side
Moving cost to Austria. International removals to Austria with Eurosender
With Eurosender, you can take advantage of affordable shipping services for expats with lower than the average cost of moving to Austria.
Visa regulations for Austria
Getting a visa for Austria is not necessary for many Europeans, but for others, it is still necessary to get the obligatory paperwork done.
- Citizens from EU/EEA countries don’t need visas or work permits in Austria. However, they do need to apply for permanent residence within 4 months after arriving in the country.
- Citizens from non-EU/EEA countries need a visa to enter, a work permit and a residence permit. Contact your local embassy for the documents and requirements for the country that you hail from.
- The “Red-White-Red” card is an option for highly skilled workers who found employment in Austria. This document will allow you to stay up to 1 year.
- The “Jobseeker” visa allows you to stay up to 6 months to look for a job. This doesn’t allow you to work in Austria and is only available for highly skilled workers from non-EU countries.
Property information. Rentals in Austria
Most people in Austria, including the Austrians themselves, choose to rent accommodation. Prices, of course, depending on your wishes and needs. When you are moving to Austria for work or study and plan to live alone, a one-bedroom apartment will cost around €700 per month. If you are immigrating to Vienna with family, be ready to pay €1000 per month for a three-bedroom apartment.
The cost of living in Vienna is higher than in other cities. You check the dedicated page about moving to Vienna and the average cost of renting accommodation there.
Get a quote for relocation to Austria
People trust our expertise
LIVING IN AUSTRIA
The cost of living in Austria
Many people have probably told you that the cost of living in Austria is high and unfortunately they are right. However, it is not all as expensive as people might want to make you believe. The price level in Austria is just a bit above the European average, and also, you have to keep in mind that in one of the wealthiest countries in the world. The average monthly salary in Austria (after taxes) is €2000.
Do you need to send documents urgently to Austria to help secure a place to stay before moving?
Eurosender offers fast envelope delivery with our Express delivery service.
The job market in Austria
No less than 70% of the inhabitants of Austria work in the service industry and a large part of that industry consists of tourism. It means expats can easily find seasonal work in Austria, in one of the tourist hotspots around the country.
Also, Vienna is home to many international organisations like OPEC and the OSCE, so there are many job opportunities for foreigners moving to Austria.
Don’t forget the Jobseeker visa mentioned above, which gives you up to 6 months to find employment in Austria.
School and education in Austria
Austria has a free and public school system, and nine years of education are mandatory throughout the nation from the ages of six to fourteen, or first to ninth grade. There are many private schools in Austria (especially those run by the Roman Catholic Church). Most privately-run, international schools are based in Vienna.
The school system in Austria can be easily divided into the following stages below.
Healthcare in Austria
Most employees living in Austria as expats are covered by public healthcare insurance for which you pay through the social security system. You are free to choose a healthcare insurance provider, which will provide you with an E-card. It functions as your insurance card when visiting a hospital or any other medical facility.
Driving in Austria
To drive in Austria, you need the documents listed below. Failing to have them with you could lead to fines.
- Driving License (Citizens from Non-EU countries also need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to be allowed to drive in Austria)
- Insurance documents
- V5C certificate (proof of ownership)
Driving in the mountainous landscape of Austria might take some getting used to.
What else to expect when living in Austria as an expat
Immigrants moving to Austria allocate the following aspects of living there:
- The Austrians abide by the law and something seemingly innocent as jaywalking is frowned upon.
- When you are invited to someone’s home, don’t forget to take off your shoes when you enter the place.
- Austrians have a love for cash and even though you can pay by card in many establishments, there are still a bunch of cafes and restaurants that only accept hard cash.
- When you are a smoker, you might feel like taking a step back in time. Austria is one of the few countries that still allow smoking in cafes, bars and even restaurants.
Relocate to Austria with Eurosender
People trust our expertise
See the most popular countries from where people immigrate to Austria
Moving to Austria from Canada
Immigrating from Canada to Austria is a move between two winter nations. Both Austrians and Canadians like to spend their free time in the outdoors for activities such as skiing, snowboarding, hunting and hiking. Relocate to Austria with your family or alone and enjoy the benefits of choosing Eurosender as your logistics platform.
Moving to Austria from Ireland
Immigrating from Ireland to Austria is a relatively small step as the two countries are only about 2.000 km apart. With ample job opportunities, an impressive ecological situation and a high standard of living, Austria has everything, an Irishman could wish for. And with Eurosender platform, you get smooth relocation and lowest cost on moving to Austria.
Moving to Austria from the United Kingdom
Relocating to Austria from the UK is a convenient option when you want to live abroad but still often want to visit your friends and relatives. When you choose international removals to Austria with Eurosender you don’t have to worry about paying too much for your luggage, as we have the best option for moving house to Vienna or any other city.