Moving to Jamaica: What to know before you immigrate to Jamaica
Things to consider when relocating to Jamaica
Jamaican dollar (JMD$)
Ambulance and Fire: 110
On the left side
The cost of moving to Jamaica. International removals to Jamaica with Eurosender
Eurosender offers a wide range of affordable and fast shipping solutions for international removals to Jamaica.
Visa regulations for Jamaica
- Citizens from most countries can visit Jamaica visa-free. Depending on your state, you can stay from 2 weeks to 6 months.
- When your country doesn’t have a visa-free deal with Jamaica, you can apply for one at the Jamaican embassy. When there is no Jamaican embassy in your country, try in surrounding countries.
- When you immigrate to Jamaica for work, you need a work permit and visa.
- After three years of continuously residing in Jamaica, you can apply for a permanent residence permit.
Property information in Jamaica
Kingston and Montego Bay are the most expensive cities for living in Jamaica. On average the prices compare as following: a furnished apartment in a classy area will cost you a little less than €500 per month, while the same apartment in a more run-down area will cost you about €300 per month.
Get quotes on moving to Jamaica with Eurosender
People trust our expertise
LIVING IN JAMAICA
The cost of living in Jamaica
The cost of living in Jamaica is much lower than in countries such as the USA or Canada. However, that doesn’t mean that everything is cheap. Expats living in Jamaica can find many items from the UK and the USA, but the prices are way higher. So, when you want to save money on food, buy local products and buy in bulk. This way, you can easily save on your cost when living in Jamaica.
Do you need to send documents urgently to Jamaica to help secure a place to stay before moving?
Eurosender offers fast envelope delivery with our Express delivery service.
The job market in Jamaica
The most significant sector in Jamaica is tourism, which comes as no surprise with the number of tourists that visit Jamaica each year. When your profession is in the field of education, finance, engineering or medicine, you will have a fair chance to find a job in Jamaica. If you’re looking for a job in Jamaica as a foreigner, it is vital that you are fluent in English.
School and education in Jamaica
For expats moving to Jamaica with children, one of the key considerations will be the location of good schools. There are both private and public schools in Jamaica, but the basic school system is the same for all children. Keep in mind that for children aged 1-6, there is pre-school, which is not obligatory.
Healthcare in Jamaica
In general healthcare in Jamaica is free. However, Jamaican healthcare system is not of high quality across the country. Hospitals with high standards are only available in Kingston and Montego Bay. Most Jamaicans lack the funds to pay for private medical care, but whoever can afford it, uses it. For expats living in Jamaica, it is recommended to use private insurance, which gives you access to the best hospitals and clinics in the country.
Driving in Jamaica: Should I get a driving licence in Jamaica?
Jamaican drivers are hasty and careless. Besides that, the roads are not always in perfect condition, especially when you go into the mountains. When you don’t want to let those things stop you, take a look at the basic things you need for driving in Jamaica.
- Driving licence: You can drive in Jamaica with the US driving licence or any other licence in English. If not, get an International Driving permit at your local driving authority.
- Children younger than 3 have to be seated in special children’s seats.
- When driving in Jamaica, you should also have a passport (or a copy of it), car registration documents and insurance card with you.
What to expect when living in Jamaica as a foreigner
Moving to Jamaica is probably a 100% shift from the reality you are in now.
- Jamaicans are friendly and hospitable people, always in for a party.
- Jamaica has a high crime rate for such a small country, mostly involving warring gangs and petty criminals.
- Music and sport are two pillars of Jamaican culture, and if you like cricket, then you will fit right in.
- You will see that when you try to learn the local Patois, you will easily make friends and you can start living like a true Jamaican.
Relocation to Jamaica with Eurosender
People trust our expertise
See the most popular countries from where people move to Jamaica
Moving to Jamaica from the USA
Moving to Jamaica from the USA is on the wishlist of many Americans. The cost of moving house to Jamaica is one of the biggest factors that make up your budget for relocation. At Eurosender, we help people find the cheapest way to move furniture and personal belongings to Jamaica and globally.
Moving to Jamaica from the UK
Nowadays you can easily arrange international removals to Jamaica with the services of Eurosender. Ordering a shipment is only a few clicks away and get the best logistics solution when moving to Jamaica from the UK. One of our logistics experts will help you with your order. Relocating from the UK to Jamaica has never been this easy.
Moving to Jamaica from Canada
Some Canadians are looking for a way to escape cold winters and therefore immigrate to Jamaica. Eurosender has partnered with trustworthy and reliable couriers to provide the most affordable services for international removals to Jamaica. Whether you are moving to Jamaica from Canada or any other country, Eurosender is your reliable logistics partner.