International Rail Freight Services
Rail freight forwarding is the most cost-effective solution for transporting bulky and heavy items across long distances. Trains are typically used for transporting raw products such as coal or steel. At Eurosender, we can organise the transportation of your goods by rail freight or other efficient shipping services.
REASONS TO USE
Why choose to use rail freight transportation?
Short transit times for long distances connected by railway corridors
Environmental-friendly transport with lower fuel consumption
Increased predictability of deliveries due to strict rail freight timetables
ARE YOU A BUSINESS?
International freight transportation for businesses
Book simple, fast and reliable shipping services with Eurosender. We are a one-stop platform that combines logistics capabilities to serve any shipping need you might have. Create your own logistics department with our smart digital dashboard and start optimising your logistics operations.
Advantages and disadvantages of railroad transportation
Advantages of rail freight
- Possible to transport very large shipments at once
- Lower fuel consumption makes rail freight more eco-friendly than road transport
- Low price for long-distance transport
- Well-organised transportation resulting in accurate rail freight quotes
- Delivery time is not influenced by traffic or weather conditions
- Transport by rail is the safest way of transporting goods by land
Disadvantages of rail freight
- Slower booking process compared to transport by road, which is fully automated
- Shipments by rail cannot be fully door-to-door, as they require integration with another service to reach the delivery address
- Expensive for short-distance transport
- Low flexibility due to strict routes and timetables
- Border stations may cause delays as there is usually a change of the train operator
How to book rail freight transport with Eurosender?
At Eurosender, we organise railway transportation services based on individual requests.
Send us your shipping requirements, and our logistics experts will prepare a rail freight quote tailored to your needs.
When to ship by rail freight service?
There are several situations where transport by rail freight is the best option available.
- When shipping inland from a port.
- When shipping large quantities in bulk.
- When looking for high-speed delivery over long distances. (Only air freight is faster, but not suitable for large shipments)
- When shipping raw materials such as coal, metal ore, iron, steel, etc.
- When looking for greener shipping alternatives than road transport.
How are the costs of rail freight calculated?
The price calculation of transporting cargo by train depends on the following factors:
- Dimensions: Size and weight of the goods to be transported
- Distance: Rail freight forwarding is cheapest for long-distance shipments
- Pick-up and delivery: Another transport service is required for connecting the railway station to the pick-up and delivery addresses
- Type of item: Rail transport rates may vary depending on the nature of the goods being transported
- Insurance: Additional insurance can be purchased for extra protection of the cargo
- Customs clearance: Fees may apply for international rail freight shipments
HOW CAN YOU SHIP
Alternatives to shipping freight by rail
WANT MORE INFORMATION?
FAQs – International rail freight forwarding services
What is rail freight, and what can freight trains carry?
What are the most common goods transported via rail?
How much does rail freight cost?
Is rail freight cheaper than truck transport?
Is there a way to track rail freight services?
What are the main benefits of rail freight vs road or sea freight?
Is it possible to ship a car by train?
What is the maximum weight when shipping via rail freight?
Is it possible to ship furniture and household goods by rail?
If you would like to compare the prices, send us a request, and we will calculate the best rail freight quote for you.