Cheap shipping to a student dormitory
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness,” said Mark Twain a long time ago. And as he is probably right, many students decide to study abroad for a semester or even years to broaden their horizon. Moving abroad to study means a new life. You will be making new friends, adapting to a new environment and looking for new accommodation. The latter usually means living in a student’s dormitory. Even though these are usually places where students have a great time, they often lack some of the convenient stuff you have back home, be it your flat-screen tv or your own bed mattress. That is why we have compiled this detailed guide on how to ship a suitcase to a student dormitory. When you travel to your new location it is most likely by plane. However, the cost of excess luggage can be exorbitant and often it is not even possible to take things like furniture. With our step-by-step plan, you will be shipping furniture to a student dormitory and feel at home from the moment you arrive, all in a cost-effective way.
Do you have other questions about studying abroad? Then read our blog articles in our series: Erasmus Student Guide where you can find much more info on cheap shipping to a student dormitory.
How to place an order with Eurosender?
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will be provided with the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to prepare your items for shipping.
Ask for individual offer
The best way of shipping furniture to a student dormitory
When you move to another country to study there, there are lots of things involved, like registration, fees and loads of documents. However, shipping books to a student dormitory is relatively easy.
Like with all things in life, good preparation is key. In almost every country the academic year starts in September, so there should be time enough for you to get ready. Make a list of things that you want and need to bring. This may range from small items such as your toothbrush and nail clipper to more bulky items such as your desk or fridge. Whatever the size of the item, with Eurosender you have access to the fastest and cheapest option for shipping to a student dorm.
When you have finalized the list of items you need to bring (don’t forget to let your mom double-check it), then you are ready to move on to the next step of cheap shipping to a student dormitory.
- Packing: As you don’t want your items to get damaged along the way, decent packaging is vital. Check out our comprehensive guide on packing various items, complete with an instruction video.
- Insurance: When you use the services of Eurosender, your shipment is automatically insured with our Standard Insurance. However, when you ship large volumes or valuable items you can add additional insurance for shipping books to a student dormitory against bottom prices in a few clicks.
- Prohibited and restricted items: As you don’t want to start off your semester in your new country of choice with legal issues, please double check that your shipment doesn’t contain any prohibited items.
- Payment: At Eurosender we accept a number of payment methods to your convenience.
When you have all these things covered, there are some other things about pickup and the destination when thinking about how to ship a suitcase to a student dormitory.
- Pick-up: Planning the pick-up on the day of your departure is a bad idea. Do this 2 working days before you set out to your new destination.
- Delivery: Who will accept your delivery? Will you already be on the spot or is there someone else to receive the shipment? This could be a classmate but often there is also an administrator or receptionist available that can help you out with this.
How do I give the correct address?
The last thing you want is that the courier can’t find the address because there was a mistake in the address bar or any other reason that could have been avoided. Shipping books to a student dormitory is more complicated than to a regular address. The reason for that is that there are usually multiple buildings and entrances.
Don’t do any Google guessing but ask your university or a representative of the dormitory to provide you with the exact address details, preferably in writing.
Below you can find a blueprint of the address field for shipping books to a student dormitory.
Choose the country of pick-up/delivery.
- Name & Surname
Add the full name of the consignee.
Ex.: University of England Dormitory, Edward Winslow
Fill out the street name in full and the number.
Ex.: Downing street 135
- Additional info – Optional
Here you can add additional information.
Keep in mind that the courier doesn’t always take this info into consideration.
- Zip code
Add the zip code, please double check if it’s the right one.
Add the full name of the town or city.
- Phone number
Add the phone number, change the area code if needed.
Ex.: +44(country code) 20 710 6000
Having the address field without mistakes is essential for a successful delivery. It’s better to be safe than sorry. So, when you have any concerns about the correctness of the address, feel free to contact one of our logistics experts that can help you out.
How do I choose the proper shipping service
At Eurosender we are proud that we can help you ship practically anything. But before you place your order, you should be fully aware of the options you have. Different services have of course different prices, so it is important to see what the most budget-friendly option for you is.
- Standard shipping service: Everything that fits within the dimensions given below applies for standard shipping.
- Maximum weight of 40kg (30kg in some cases).
- A maximum length of 175 cm.
- Length (in cm) + 2x width (in cm) + 2x height (in cm) < 300 cm.
- Freight transport: shipping furniture to a student dormitory on a pallet is a good option when the item you want to ship, exceeds the standard dimensions or when you have numerous items that you want to ship together. Before you decide to go for pallet delivery, always check that the dormitory you ship to has the right equipment to move it around on the campus. On top of that, there should be a place to store the pallet. Contact the dormitory manager for this.
- Dedicated Van Delivery: Being one of the most recent additions to the range of service provided by Eurosender, Dedicated Van Delivery gives you the possibility to fill an entire van with your personal belongings. The van will go directly from the pick-up address to your new dormitory and you don’t have to share it with anyone. This is the fastest option of all and a great way to transport your furniture to your new dormitory.
Common issues with shipping to students dormitory and how to avoid them
- Missing room number: University campuses are often huge territories where one can easily get lost. Without a room number, it is hard to find the right place and the courier doesn’t have time to ask around.
- Entrance to the campus: It could happen that the campus is not accessible for everyone by car or truck. In case that there has to be special permission for the vehicle of the courier company to enter the campus, this should be communicated before. Contact the reception or any other department responsible for this and make sure that the driver has access to the campus.
- Language barrier: When you communicate with the courier, be aware that they usually speak the local language. When your languages skills are not up to speed yet, be sure that you have someone with you who can help you out.
- Phone number: When you move to another country you often also change the phone number. Keep this in mind when you enter your phone number on the order form.
Student discounts and other ways to save on shipping to a students dorm
Being a student you will gladly be informed on ways how to save money. Take a look at the advice below on cheap shipping to a student dormitory that will drastically decrease your relocation expenses.
- Eurosender has partnered with 54 ESN organizations from 18 different countries to provide students with various discount programmes including the delivery of furniture and luggage. Last year Eurosender helped Erasmus students save a total amount of €100.000. Contact us today and see what we can do for you.
- Eurosender provides tailor-made individual offers that make sure that you have the cheapest solution for your shipping needs.
- Ship ahead of time so that you are flexible with the pick-up and delivery date as rates may vary from day to day.
- Contact local student organizations to see if there are any discount programs for (Erasmus) students to profit from cheap shipping to a student dormitory
What are some of the things that people often ship to a student dormitory?
Besides gathering knowledge, students are also often involved in a wide range of cultural events. So, now that you know how to how to ship a suitcase to a student dormitory, it is time to look at some other things. Whether it is sports, music or any other activity, Eurosender has got you covered.
- Thinking of becoming a successful university rock star? Ship your guitar or your drumkit and start conquering the world with your hits.
- Perhaps you are more the type for classical music? No worries, with Eurosender you can also ship your piano, cello or violin and join the local orchestra.
- Is sports more your thing? With Eurosender you can basically ship all your sports equipment. Ranging from golf equipment to horse riding to rowing equipment, you name a sport and we ship your equipment.
- Want to start your own vlog about your new life on the campus? Take your camera and grip equipment and become Insta-famous or a new sensation on YouTube.
- What is a student’s life without a little party every now and then? Time to get out those party hats and balloons! Beer or wine anyone?
Do you have any further questions about shipping to a hotel or hostel? Don’t hesitate to contact our friendly and multilingual Customer Support team, which will be glad to assist you at all times.