NSB baggage allowance | Norwegian State Railways
NSB, which stands for Norges Statsbaner, is a government-owned railway company that operates in Norway. It is a popular transport company in the Scandinavia and it is responsible for about 60,5 million journeys per year.
NSB baggage allowance policy clearly states that “a passenger may take up to 30 kg of luggage, comprising a maximum of 3 items, which he/she embarks himself/herself and stows in the appropriate place”. The same applies for other items, such as prams and strollers. As with every European train company, passengers are responsible for the safety of their own luggage and should make sure that their belongings do not obstruct aisles, entrances or occupy other passengers’ seats.
As for the NSB restricted items, it goes without saying that inflammable or explosive materials or other luggage which may obviously represent a safety risk may not be carried on the train. Certain weapons might be allowed on board only if they have been obtained legally and after inspection from the train manager. If you want to travel with a weapon, you should contact the train company in advance and make sure you follow their instructions carefully.
NSB baggage allowance:
- Up to 3 pieces of luggage;
- Up to 30 kg of luggage (in total).
Can I bring my sports equipment or musical instruments?
Maybe you are planning on exploring the magnificent Preikestolen hiking trail. Or maybe you are invited to play at this year’s Sørveiv music festival in the small coastal city of Kristiansand. In both cases, bringing your musical instrument and sports equipment is essential.
When traveling with the Norwegian State Railways, passengers can bring sports equipment, such as skis. Finding a complete list of items that are allowed on board of the NSB trains might be difficult. However, , as long as the equipment can be stored safely in a bag or case, there should not be a problem. Of course, you should always keep in mind that you can only bring 3 pieces of luggage and that their added weight should not be more than 30 kg. The same applies for musical instruments. Some items that are not allowed on board are the following: surfboard, double bass, big bicycle bags, kayak or canoe.
Help, I have way too many bags | Eurosender to the rescue!
Tired of carrying your heavy baggage from train station to train station? Have you packed way too many suitcases than you are allowed to bring on board? You can simply ship your items with Eurosender. We will find the most affordable shipping service for the route of your choice. You can ship suitcases, bikes, sports equipment and musical instruments at a very low price. Check our prices and see it yourself!
Are bikes allowed on NSB trains?
Maybe you are planning on following the “Rallarvegen” cycling route. Or you simply want to take your bike to Oslo, so you can move easily around the city. In both cases, you probably ask yourself whether you can take your bike on an NSB train.
When traveling with Norwegian State Railways trains, most of the time, passengers are allowed, , to bring their bicycles on board. However, if you are planning to do so, you should make sure that you check whether the train you are traveling with has a storage place for bikes. Trains on which you can reserve a space for a bicycle are marked with a bicycle symbol at NSB‘s timetable and you should also purchase a ticket for your bike. The bicycle fare is usually up to 209 NOK (21,88€).
Can I bring my pet on board?
You might be very close to your dog, cat, parrot or even pet tarantula and you want to travel with them across Norway. We assume that you are wondering whether the Norwegian State Railways have specific rules concerning your pet’s transportation.
NSB pet policy states that dogs, cats, caged rodents, caged birds and small turtles are allowed on board. However, other animals, such as insects, spiders, snakes and other reptiles cannot be brought on the trains. We can imagine that a puppy that sneaks out of its cage will not cause the panic that a tarantula would.
Guide dogs accompanying blind passengers and trainee guide dogs always travel free on NSB, trains when on service. The same applies for other pets with a shoulder height of less than 40 cm. However, when it comes to bigger animals, the passenger should purchase a ticket for them. This will be the equivalent of the 50% of a ticket for adults.
Should I ship my suitcases? | Eurosender
We might not be able to transport your pet tarantula, but we can do the same with the inanimate objects you cannot take on board. Maybe you want to bring your kayak but you saw that it is not allowed on the train you travel with. Instead of a kayak, it could be a double bass. Or maybe you simply cannot lift and carry everything you have packed for the trip. We understand. That is why we have developed a friendly-user platform to book shipping services in the fastest and most efficient way. You do not even need to compare different prices online. Eurosender will choose the most affordable option. We can organize the collection of your suitcases, sports equipment, musical instruments and other objects from your doorstep and their delivery to almost any address in Europe; it could even be a hotel! See our prices and send your belongings at the lowest possible price.
Why should you choose Eurosender’s services?
Probably, you have already realized that shipping your items is the smartest way to travel by train. However, you might not be familiar with our company and our standards. Here are some things that you should be aware of:
- “Simple, quick and reliable” is our motto. You may wonder how we manage to offer such competitive prices. The reason why our prices are low, has to do with our constant effort of negotiating the shipping rates with the courier providers we cooperate with. Eurosender has customers all over Europe, which translates in a high volume of shipments. That gives us a strong bargaining position which translates into our ability to and we are able to offer some of the most competitive prices you can find. You might be a first-time shipper but you can now pay as less as a business that organizes shipments on a regular base.
- Our services are door-to-door. This means that you will not have to search for a drop-off location and carry your heavy suitcases somewhere because a courier driver will ring your bell and pick-up the shipment from your doorstep. And because we like to spoil you, the same door-to-door service applies for small parcels and packages as well.
- We offer you assistance. Have you ever paid for a service, came across some issues and now the company is nowhere to be found. We’ve all been there. However, that is not the case with Eurosender. We are always reachable by phone or e-mail and you can contact us for anything related to your shipment. At the same time, we enrich our website with useful information, including packing and shipping guides for various objects. We might not be able to offer assistance on how to save your marriage, but we can guide you with the entire shipping process.
Additional considerations | Eurosender
If your items are too heavy or too large in size for a standard courier shipment, it would not be a problem to ship them through Eurosender. Apart from the standard service, we offer customized shipping services. All you have to do is ask for an individual offer. You simply fill-in a form with your requirements and our logistics experts will find the best way to transport your items.
*The information concerning NSB baggage allowance is based on data collected from the company’s website on 17/09/2018.