What is the meaning of PTL in logistics?
PTL stands for Partial Truck Load shipping, which is also known as Load to Ride (LTR). PTL shipments are big shipments that do not fill an entire truck. In the logistics spectrum, they are between FTL (Full Truck Load) and LTL (Less than Truck Load) shipments and the same goes for the cost of PTL shipping.
How to place an order with Eurosender?
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will be provided with the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to prepare your items for shipping.
When to choose PTL shipping?
Partial Truckload Shipping (PTL), is not as common as FTL or LTL shipping, so it is good to know in which situations it is best to choose for partial truckload shipping services.
- PTL shipping for businesses
- A quick option for when you don’t have enough load for FTL shipping, but also too much load for LTL shipping.
- Shipments that have to go directly to the destination, without being loaded and unloaded several times.
- Shipments that contain fragile items.
- PTL shipping for individuals
- PTL services are less common than FTL and LTL shipments and are not frequently used by individuals. However, there are some situations where PTL shipping can be the best solution for your needs.
- Relocation: When you relocate, you may not have enough items for FTL shipping. But when you want your shipment to go directly from point A to point B, PTL shipping can be an inexpensive way to get your belongings to your new home.
- Many/large items to ship: In most cases, you will be able to ship your items by using LTL services. However, when you have many (bulky) items, contact our logistics experts to see whether PTL, LTL, or FTL transportation is the best option for your shipment.
Benefits of PTL shipping
PTL shipping might just be the best solution for your shipments. Below you find the benefits of using PTL shipping services.
- Individual delivery: The truck is completely filled with your items and doesn’t have to stop for other deliveries when choosing for PTL delivery.
- Safety: PTL shipments are not unloaded until they reach the delivery point, meaning that there is less chance for the items to get damaged.
- Tracking PTL shipments: With partial truckload shipping services through the Eurosender platform, you have access to our online 24/7 tracking system.
- Extra services: Unlike standard shipping, PTL shipments offer you the possibility to use services such as liftgates, pick-up, and delivery inside (regardless of the floor), and so on. Keep in mind that freeze protection is currently not provided by Eurosender.
- Fast: Less time in transit and fewer stops on the way to its destination make PTL delivery a speedier option than LTL shipping.
Type of items that can be shipped through PTL
Depending on the needs of your organizations, you may rarely or often use partial truckload shipping. Below you find a brief list of things that are often shipped using PTL services.
PTL shipping costs
The following things are involved when calculating PTL shipping costs. Depending on the category, the cost of partial truckload shipping services increases.
- Weight and size
- Type of shipment
- Additional services
Requesting a PTL quote. How does it work?
Requesting a quote at Eurosender is as easy as ABC.
- Measure the dimensions of your shipment. That means the length, width, height and weight of your shipment (including the packaging). Also, the pick-up point and the delivery address are vital.
- Contact our logistics experts for an individual offer. They will then identify the best solutions for your shipment in our sophisticated supply-chain network.
- Prepare your items for shipment.
Preparing PTL shipments and PTL packaging materials
Just like with any shipment, the packaging of your items is of the utmost importance. When keeping the advice below in mind, you can be sure that your shipment is transported safely.
- Packing tips for PTL shipments
- The most substantial items should go on the bottom whereas the lightest items go on the top.
- Shipping crates are a good option for electronic devices, machines, and smaller items.
- Once you finish packing your pallet, it is recommended to seal it with shrink wrap to keep everything together.
- Although not required for PTL shipping, making your pallets stackable will also improve their sturdiness.
- Don’t overload the pallet and make sure that nothing is hanging over the edges to avoid damages.
- The type of pallet you need for your shipment depends on your location and the items you want to ship.
There is more to preparing your partial truckload shipping services than just packing your pallets. The following things should also be kept into consideration.
- PTL shipment documentation: A complete Bill of Lading (BOL) is obligatory for PTL shipments. In the BOL you will find things like your name, name and phone number of the consignee, type of goods, packaging, etc. Customs clearance procedures are also part of the documentation you have to prepare when shipping internationally.
- Insurance: When placing your order, also discuss the insurance options that Eurosender provides.
- Pick-up: Have all your goods packed on pallets and ready for pick up.
PTL shipping through Eurosender
Eurosender is a digital logistics platform that allows businesses to create their own online logistics department. By utilizing our extensive network of courier companies, we provide you with the best rates and will enable you to improve your efficiency and profit. Would you or your organization also like to benefit from a decreased cost of partial truckload shipping services and partner with Eurosender? Set up an account (free of charge) and start experiencing the benefits of adding speed and scale to your business. Also, 24/7 tracking PTL shipments is possible with this account.
More questions about PTL shipping costs, PTL delivery, or tracking PTL shipments? Contact our multilingual customer support team to get an answer to all your questions and to provide you with useful advice where possible.