P&O Cruises luggage allowance policy
P&O Cruises in one of the favourite lines amongst brits. The Southampton based company has been offering routes since the 19th century. With a current fleet of 7 vessels, many choose this company to embark on a cruise for the first time. The Britannia flagship of the cruise line was officially named by Queen Elizabeth II 10 March 2015 and features one of the largest Union Jack Flags in the world!
As with many other cruise lines, the P&O cruise luggage allowance policy is not very limiting when it comes to size and weight. However, due to the particularities of ocean travel and the strict security standards on board, there are many forbidden luggage items on P&O cruises. Travellers have to be aware of the P&O luggage restrictions for cabin luggage and the permitted hand luggage on a P&O cruise.
Furthermore, if your cruise includes a flight to the starting stop your luggage will have to follow the airlines’ luggage policy, which is likely to be way more restricting than the P&O cruise line luggage rules. You can ship your luggage through Eurosender and have your suitcases moved directly to the embarking point.
Take more than the P&O cruise luggage allowance by shipping your extra luggage with Eurosender
P&O cruise luggage allowance policy
What is the P&O cruise luggage weight limit? Usually, travellers with luxury packages or special requirements can bring a bit more luggage. However, for every traveller, P&O cruise luggage rules allow:
- 2 luggage items: 140cm x 60cm x 40cm and weighting not more than 23 kg.
- Hand luggage: a small bag or suitcase you can carry yourself to the cabin.
- Cruise Connect: if your cruise includes a coach connection, you will be allowed 2 pieces of luggage 23kgs per piece plus only one item of hand luggage.
- Southampton roundtrip: as many luggage items as you can fit in your cabin, as long as they weigh less than 23 kg.
During the embarkment, the crew will take your luggage and bring it directly to the cabin. If your suitcases or bags are over the P&O cruise luggage allowance weight limit, you may be asked to repack or remove some items. If the luggage is still too heavy, there is the possibility that it will not be loaded to the ship. As for the carry-on bags on a P&O cruise line, as in most cruises, you should bring all the important documents with you, your ID, tickets, medications, jewellery, watches and personal items.
What to do with extra luggage?
If you have booked a cruise that includes a charter flight to the embarkment destination, you will have to follow the airline’s policy, that will probably be more restricting than the P&O cruise luggage allowance policy. This can be problematic, especially if you plan a longer trip. Remember you have to follow the airlines’ luggage policy, and sometimes adding a couple of extra pieces of luggage is much more expensive than the ticket itself!
Ship your luggage with Eurosender!
If you are travelling with restricted items and will like to ship your luggage home before getting to the last destination port you can book with our platform and have your luggage delivered directly to your door. Check now with our tool below what particular service would fit your needs.
Do not hesitate to contact our support team and they will gladly assist you with your shipment. If you are shipping items that need special transport conditions or want to send multiple packages you can also ask for an individual offer tailored to your particular needs.
- Bring a change of clothes in your carry-on or hand luggage just in case your luggage does not reach your cabin before dinner.
- Bring a bathing suit on your carry on so you can enjoy the pool.
- If you are disembarking, remember the crew will remove your luggage from the stateroom the night before you get to your destination. Make sure you have enough space in your carry-on bags for all the items left in your cabin, such as toiletries.
- If you take daily medicine, bring a few extra just in case there are any delays or problems during the journey.
Please note all suitcases and bags go under inspection and X rays before they are loaded into the ship. If you are travelling with forbidden items on P&O cruises they will be seized and they will not be loaded on the ship.
Forbidden luggage items P&O cruises
In addition to the P&O cruise luggage weight limit, one must also consider the fairly extensive list of forbidden items onboard a P&O cruise. There are many restrictions and the crew will always prioritise onboard security. If you are carrying any of these items or you buy them on a port or city during and excursion, they will be seized.
P&O luggage restrictions and forbidden items:
- Alcohol and other beverages: alcohol Is not permitted onboard. The alcohol bought on ports or excursions or on the duty-free shop onboard will be placed under custody until the end of the journey. As for other drinks, each passenger is allowed to board with a maximum of 12 non-alcoholic canned drinks, loosely stored in a bag or suitcase. Plastic and glass-bottled liquids, tetra pack drinks and other beverages are prohibited.
*The day of the embarkment, each passenger, aged 18 or older, is allowed to bring one bottle of wine, Champagne, beer, spirits or liqueur up to one litre subjected to a £20 corkage charge when consumed in open spaces.
- Food: most cruise lines allow passengers to board with pre-packaged, ready to eat food such as packed snacks. However, perishable foods of any kind, including local specialties, will be seized upon embarkment.
- Electric appliances and electronics: Travellers may use some personal electric devices such as hair straighteners, curling irons, and shavers, as well as laptops, laptop chargers, camera chargers, etc. However, devices that produce heat, such as irons, kettles, and coffee machines are strictly forbidden.
- Pet policy. No animals are allowed on board. The only exception is assistance dogs, that must travel with the proper documents, such an Assistance Dogs ID book (for the UK). If you are interested in bringing an assistance or guide dog with you, we recommend you contact the cruise line before boarding to make sure all is in order.
- For more information about travelling with guide or assistance dog from the UK please contact the Pet Travel Scheme Helpline: Telephone: +44 (0) 370 241 1710 or via e-mail: email@example.com – Please include your postal address and a day time telephone number.
- Samsung Galaxy 7: To be able to travel with this smartphone, travellers must turn off the device and disconnect it any charging equipment. You must disable all applications that could activate it and protect the power switch. The device has to be carried on at all times, kept close to the owner and it is not permitted to place it in the checked luggage.
- Medicines: according to the P&O cruise luggage rules if you take medicines or need any special medical care, the policy indicates you should notify the cruise before the boarding date.
- Firearms and ammunition: including realistic replicas or antiques.
- Sharp objects: razor blades and small grooming scissors are allowed.
- CBD Oil: CBD and other CBD products are forbidden and will not be returned.
- Electrical extension cords
Shipping luggage with Eurosender
Now you are more familiar with the P&O cruise luggage allowance policy and are ready to plan your trip. Although the P&O cruise luggage rules are not very strict regarding weight and size, there are many forbidden luggage items on P&O cruises. If you want to buy local produce or quality wines overseas, you can send wine, olive oil, honey and many more though Eurosender, and have those presents reach your loved ones while you keep on sailing. Furthermore, if you are travelling with children or plan a longer trip, the P&O cruise luggage allowance policy may not be flexible enough for you.
Are you interested in shipping your luggage with Eurosender? Ask for an individual offer and we will create an offer tailored to your needs.
What can Eurosender do?
Do you think you will have trouble with the P&O cruise luggage rules? Do you want to save the high airline fees included on a fly-cruise? Are you planning on travelling with luggage items not allowed on board and want to enjoy them while on location?
You can send food, beverages, souvenirs or extra items of clothing to and from the excursion spots and dodge the P&O luggage restrictions. Ship your luggage through Eurosender and pick up your luggage directly at the port, hotel or resort and have it embarked to the ship without having to worry about it. Shipping with us is easy: all we need is a complete postal address and a contact person who will be there to collect and deliver your packages.
P&O recommends that, if you are taking a flight back from your final port destination, you choose a courier service to have it shipped back to your home. Why not choose Eurosender? Our potent search engine will compare hundreds of routes and find the most suitable option for your shipment. Our logistics experts will work hard to ensure your luggage reaches its destination safely and on time. You can send your suitcases or boxes as a standard shipment or request an individual offer if you are sending multiple packages or a heavy parcel.
Are you still not sure about your options for shipping luggage overseas with Eurosender? If you want shipping tips for your suitcases and bags if you still a have a question about how to safely pack and ship luggage through Eurosender or want to know more about the different transport and logistic services that we offer you can contact us. Our logistics experts will gladly help you.
The information above comes from online sources. To check up-to-date luggage restrictions, prices of extra luggage or forbidden luggage items please check the official website of P&O Cruise.