Moving to Sweden: Things you should know before you immigrate to Sweden
Things to consider when moving to Sweden
On the right side
The cost of moving to Sweden – International removals to Sweden
The cost of moving to Sweden depends on the shipment size and its urgency. Eurosender offers multiple options for international removals to Sweden:
Visa regulations for Sweden
The Swedish economy and opportunities attract skilled immigrants from all over the world. For the European Union citizens, there are no visa requirements when moving to Sweden. Citizens from Non-EU countries need to apply for a visa. In this case, there are 2 visa types according to the length of stay: Less than 90 days and more than 90 days. Visas can be granted on various reasons such as tourism, medical reasons, family reunion, employment, and others.
Property information for Sweden
In the recent years Sweden has experienced a housing shortage. Thus, the cost of renting an apartment or a house in Sweden is high. Most expats are moving to one of Sweden’s five main cities: Stockholm, Malmö, Gothenburg, Uppsala, or Solna. In these Swedish cities, the minimum house rent is 10,700 SEK per month (€980). For basic utilities such as electricity, water, heating, and cooling, expats can expect to pay somewhere between 550–880 SEK (€50–70).
Van delivery service
Get the best rate on moving to Sweden
People trust our expertise
LIVING IN SWEDEN
Cost of living in Sweden
Do you need to send documents urgently to Sweden to help secure a place to stay before moving?
Eurosender offers fast envelope delivery with our Express delivery service.
The job market in Sweden
With the average salary in Sweden being around €2,200, the Swedish job market seems attractive to many. Let’s take a look at some handy tips for your job hunt:
- When you are an EU citizen, you don’t need a work permit but you do when you are from a non-EU country. The process of getting a work permit may take quite some time, so make sure that you start the process well before you go over there.
- There is a labour shortage list in Sweden. You will have a way bigger chance to find a job in an area that is listed.
- A great option to start your working career is to do an internship in Sweden. This way, you can get used to the Swedish way of working and make valuable contacts for your further career.
School and education in Sweden
With modern and high-tech education facilities, the Swedish education system is famous all around the globe. In Sweden, children ages from 2 to five can attend a preschool (förskola), but it’s not mandatory. When you move to Sweden with children, you need to know that local compulsory schooling consists of four stages:
- Förskoleklass (‘preschool year’),
- Lågstadiet (age 7-9),
- Mellanstadiet (age 10-12),
- Högstadiet (age 13-15).
Gymnasium (upper secondary school or high school) is optional.
When you complete your upper secondary education, you can go on to study at one of the acclaimed Swedish universities. EU citizens can study for free in Sweden. For non-EU citizens, the tuition is sky-high with prices in the range of €8.000- €20.000 per academic year.
Healthcare in Sweden
The healthcare system in Sweden is funded with tax-payers money, and most healthcare-related services are free for the public. Healthcare in Sweden is not completely free of charge, make sure that you budget the SEK1.100 (€90) that you have to pay yearly for your regular doctor check-ups.
When you are from an EU country, you can use your medical insurance. When you are from a non-EU country, you first have to get a personal ID number which is possible after you get your visa and work permit. With that number, you can register at the Swedish Social Insurance Agency.
Driving in Sweden: Should I have a driving licence in Sweden?
People who want to drive in Sweden and have a driving licence obtained in the EU or the USA can do so. When you got your licence in another country, you will have to get an International Driving Permit, for which you can apply at your local driving authority.
Below you can find some of the most important rules regarding driving in Sweden.
- Headlights must be on all the time.
- Seatbelts must be worn by the driver and every passenger on board.
- From 01-12 until 31-03 every car is obliged to have winter tires. This also goes for foreign (non-Swedish) cars.
- Be aware of wild animals crossing the roads when you drive in the countryside.
- In the major cities (such as Stockholm, Malmo, and Gothenburg), traffic jams occur daily.
What to expect when living in Sweden
When you are moving to Sweden as an expat, check what to expect when you start your new adventure:
- Love your coffee. Swedes are one of the biggest coffee lovers in the world. For those who don’t like coffee, you may drink tea instead.
- Parental leave is not only for moms. In Sweden, men also have a little less than 500 days of paternal leave. So be ready to see many fathers going around with strollers.
- Sweden is pretty much closed in July. Most companies and schools are closed during this month as everyone goes on vacation.
- Winters are chilly and dark in Sweden. When you are not used to this, it may seem daunting at first, but later on, you will get used to this just like any other Swede.
- The Swedes are punctual people, so don’t be late for a meeting or an appointment.
Relocate to Sweden with Eurosender
People trust our expertise
See the most popular destination from where you can move to Sweden
Moving to Sweden from the United States
Moving to Sweden from the US can be a huge journey. Eurosender helps you get your items across the ocean in the fastest and cheapest way. Your sole responsibility is to pack your items and place the order. From there on Eurosender will take over and make sure that your relocation to Sweden is smooth and safe.
Moving to Sweden from Australia
Thinking about moving to Sweden from Australia? Even though Australia is a popular expat destination itself, many Aussies are looking for a change of surrounding. So when you finally chose to immigrate to Sweden from Australia, Eurosender will help you find a budget-friendly solution for your shipping needs. You can organise your move in a few simple steps and start thinking of other things.
Moving to Sweden from the United Kingdom
Moving to Sweden from the UK is a step towards a calmer lifestyle, being more in touch with nature. Eurosender offers you a stress-free and affordable solution for international removals to Sweden. When moving to Sweden from the UK, choose the best shipping method for your needs and move house to Stockholm with the best rates.