Moving to Prague. Things to consider before you immigrate to Prague
Things to know about living in Prague
the Czech Republic
Czech koruna (CZK)
On the right side
The moving cost to Prague. International removals to Prague with Eurosender
With Eurosender, you can take advantage of affordable shipping services for expats with lower than the average cost of moving house to Prague.
Visa regulations for the Czech Republic
If you are immigrating to Prague from the EU, the EEA, or Switzerland, you do not need a visa to work or study there. You just need to register with local authorities and report your local address. People moving to Prague from outside EU, need to apply for a visa before relocating. There are 3 visa types for expats moving to the Czech Republic or immigrating to Prague:
- Student visa. The Czech Republic is famous for its high-quality education. Foreigners from non-EU countries should apply for a student visa by providing the requested documents and certificates.
- Work visa. As Prague is the economic, political, and financial centre of the country, it offers many opportunities to expats moving to Prague for work.
- Family reunification visa. If one of your close relatives is a citizen or a permanent resident living in Prague, then you can apply for this type of visa.
Property information in Prague
If you are moving to Prague alone for work or study, then probably a 1-bedroom apartment or a private room would be the most convenient option for you. A private room in Prague for a student costs around €300-€400, while the average rental cost for a 1-bedroom apartment is between €500 -€1,000.
If you want to buy property in Prague, consider that the prices are very high in this city. The minimum cost of 1 square meter will be about €3,000 in the suburbs and more than €4,000 in the centre. However, there are many affordable housing options for expats moving to Prague with family and that prefer living outside of the city.
Get a quote for relocating to Prague
People trust our expertise
LIVING IN PRAGUE
The cost of living in Prague
- The average cost of living as a student in Prague ranges from €350 to €750 per month, including meals, accommodation and public transport.
- The average monthly cost for a family of four is €2000 without rent.
Do you need to send urgent documents to Prague to secure a place to stay before moving?
Eurosender offers fast envelope delivery with our Express delivery service.
Job opportunities in Prague
There is a variety of job opportunities for expats and immigrants in Prague, so you can choose the most appropriate one for your qualification and education levels. Prague remains the city with the largest industrial sector in the Czech Republic, but its economy has gone through a transformation recently. There are many jobs in Prague for English speakers in the IT sphere, real estate, finance, consulting, and advertising. Expats moving to Prague also work in metallurgy, automotive industry, electronics, and textiles.
Those who want to immigrate to Prague for employment reasons should secure a job and sign a contract with an employer. Afterwards, it is possible to apply for a work visa which automatically grants a temporary residence permit in the country.
Studying in Prague. School system and education
If you are moving to Prague with children, you should know that the classes in public schools are conducted in Czech. There are also international schools in Prague with the British or American curriculum that cost between €3,000 and €12,000 per academic year. The most popular international schools among expat children are Meridian International School, Riverside School, American Academy in Prague, and Sunny Canadian International School.
Healthcare in Prague
The healthcare system of the Czech Republic aims to ensure equal access to a wide range of medical services to all citizens and legal residents. Foreigners and expats immigrating to Prague prefer private healthcare insurance. Even though you will have to pay slightly more, you will be able to use the services of the private medical institutions which usually grant a better quality of medical services, shorter queues, and more English-speaking professionals.
Driving in Prague: should I get a driving licence in the Czech Republic?
If you prefer renting a car or buying a new one in Prague, you need to substitute your driving licence with a local one. While driving in Prague, you should stick to general rules and use common sense.
- You must have a zero alcohol level in your blood while driving in Prague.
- When driving in the Czech Republic, remember that you have to drive on the right side of the road.
- All passengers and occupants must use seat belts.
What else you should know about living in Prague
Living in Vienna might be a little different from living in your home country. So, that is why we have listed several things that both expats and locals pointed out to us.
- Local people living in Prague are very friendly and tolerant. They are welcoming foreigners who are willing to immigrate to Prague.
- Prague and the entire Czech Republic have a record low unemployment rate. It means that this city offers many opportunities for expats who are moving to Prague for employment or business reasons.
- The higher education institutions offer quality education services with no tuition fees. If you are going to immigrate to Prague for study purposes, consider that almost all the educational programs and courses are in Czech.
Van delivery service
Relocate to Prague with Eurosender
People trust our expertise
The most popular countries from where people immigrate to Prague
Moving to Prague from the USA
Immigrating to Prague from the United States is certainly a powerful life experience. Take advantage of the international removal services to Prague that Eurosender offers, as we partner with reliable logistics service providers operating globally. Benefit from stress-free and pocket-friendly shipping solutions when you move house to Prague.
Moving to Prague from the UK
Eurosender’s solutions for international removals will save your average moving costs to Prague. Use our booking tool to get an instant quote on most shipping services. Enjoy the convenience of the global logistics network Eurosender provides for your immigration to Prague. Discover the cheapest way to move furniture to Prague from the UK.
Moving to Prague from Canada
Enjoy the convenience of the door-to-door shipping when moving to Prague from Canada. Eurosender provides the most convenient and cost-effective way to relocate to Prague with family or alone. Benefit from the wide range of shipping options we provide for international removals to Prague and worldwide.