Moving to Sri Lanka: Things you should know before you immigrate to Sri Lanka
Learn how to move to Sri Lanka with Eurosender
Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
Sri Lankan rupee (LKR)
Sinhala and Tamil
On the left side
The cost of moving to Sri Lanka – International removals to Sri Lanka
Eurosender will calculate your cost of moving to Sri Lanka, for you, with our fast booking tool, matching you with the right service at the best price. If you’re looking for the cheapest way to move furniture to Sri Lanka, you can be sure you are getting the lowest price available on international removals to Sri Lanka.
Visa regulations for Sri Lanka
For those wishing to immigrate to Sri Lanka from UK, India or anywhere else, there are 4 different types of visas:
- Employment visa: for those who have secured a job in Sri Lanka with a public or private company, you must provide a signed contract to obtain a residency permit.
- Investor visa: for those immigrating to Sri Lanka to invest in their local economy or conduct business
- Student visa: for moving to Sri Lanka to study, you must obtain a student visa first.
- Family unification visa: for those immigrating to Sri Lanka to join family members and close relatives.
To visit for less than 30 days without working in Sri Lanka, foreigners must apply for a tourist visa. For detailed visa regulations for Sri Lanka, please see the Sri Lankan immigration website.
Send my documents express
Property in Sri Lanka
Many expats moving to Sri Lanka choose to rent apartments in Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte and Colombo, as the costs of renting an apartment in Sri Lanka are quite reasonable.
- Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte: For a single person moving to Sri Lanka, a one-bedroom apartment will cost around 40.000.00 LKR per month (€200). If you are thinking of immigrating to Sri Lanka with your family, a 3 bedroom-apartment in Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte will cost approximately 130.000.00 LKR per month (€650).
- Colombo: For a single bedroom apartment in the centre of the city, expect to pay between 40.000.00 LKR – 150.000.00 LKR (€200 – €750) per month. For a family immigrating to Sri Lanka, a 3 bedroom apartment in the centre of Colombo will cost between 75.000.00 – 300.000.00 LKR per month (€370 – €1.400).
You’re probably wondering, what is the cheapest way to move furniture to Sri Lanka? Eurosender’s shipping engine will give you a quote on any type of international shipment, so you can calculate the cost of moving to Sri Lanka right now. Eurosender will match you with the best service for international removals to Sri Lanka at the best price available, and offer express and standard delivery for up to 70kg.
LIVING IN SRI LANKA
The cost of living in Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka is a popular tourist destination, so prices tend to go up and down depending on the season. If you are moving to Sri Lanka from the USA, UK or Australia, you will certainly notice the cost of living in Sri Lanka is reasonable. For a daily meal, you can expect to pay as little as €2.
Do you need to send documents urgently to Sri Lanka to help secure a place to stay before moving?
Eurosender offers fast envelope delivery with our Express delivery service.
The job market in Sri Lanka
Expats looking to enter the job market in Sri Lanka can find opportunities in IT, marketing and finance, as well as the tourism industry, investing in small business and of course their world-renowned agriculture and textiles industries.
Schools and education in Sri Lanka
Expats immigrating to Sri Lanka with children tend to prefer to send them to private schools, and there are many international schools in Sri Lanka to choose from, especially in Colombo and the capital. The school system in Sri Lanka includes:
Healthcare in Sri Lanka
Healthcare in Sri Lanka is universal, giving access to both traditional Sinhalese and modern medicine for all citizens and legal residents. Expats living in Sri Lanka also choose to take out private healthcare for their length of stay, to access extra services provided by the many western-style hospitals and private healthcare in Sri Lanka.
Driving in Sri Lanka
Driving in Sri Lanka, you will notice the traffic conditions in major cities can be chaotic. However, you can expect good quality roads due to the tolls throughout the country. Driving in Sri Lanka is on the left, and when you immigrate to Sri Lanka you will need to have an approved International driving permit or a temporary permit from Sri Lanka’s Department of Motor Traffic.
Send urgent documents
What else to expect when living in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan cuisine is known to be very spicy, so if you love hot food, you will love living in Sri Lanka.
- Moving to Sri Lanka, you should be careful of local trickery and scams against foreigners, as they tend to prey on rich tourists and expats.
- The cost of living in Sri Lanka is very low, so if you are moving to Sri Lanka from the USA, UK or Australia, you will no doubt live quite comfortably.
See the most popular destinations people move from
Moving to Sri Lanka from the USA
Relocating from the USA to Sri Lanka, you will no doubt notice a lower cost of living, but did you know you can also save on the cost of moving to Sri Lanka? Eurosender’s booking engine for shipping from the USA to Sri Lanka will provide you with the best service for international removals to Sri Lanka. You can get an instant quote for express or standard shipping to Sri Lanka, and save on the average costs of moving house, whether you’re moving a few boxes or a whole house.
Moving to Sri Lanka from the UK
With a shared love of tea, many expats are choosing to immigrate to Sri Lanka from the UK for business and to enjoy a different lifestyle. Eurosender is trusted by so many expats living in Sri Lanka to provide low-cost international removals to Sri Lanka, to help take the stress out of moving and save on their cost of moving. You can estimate a price right now, and start to plan your costs of moving to Sri Lanka.
Moving to Sri Lanka from India
More and more expats from India who are looking for the cheapest way to move furniture to Sri Lanka from India, trust Eurosender to provide the best service. With fast and reliable international removals to Sri Lanka, you can be sure your belongings will arrive in one piece, at the best price available and in the shortest time possible. We provide a free, instant quote so you can start to calculate your average moving costs to Sri Lanka, and offer express delivery for parcels up to 70kg.