TGV baggage allowance | Do I have to pay for the excess baggage?
TGV stands for “Train à Grande Vitesse”, which means “high-speed train” in French. It is France’s intercity high-speed rail service and it is operated by the national operator SNCF. TGV is very popular among the French citizens and foreign travellers, since it connects Paris with many major cities across the country. These cities include Marseille, Bordeaux, Strasbourg and Rennes. The train service also links France with other European countries, such as Spain, Italy and Belgium.
Ready to ship?
According to the TGV baggage allowance policy, there are no limitations regarding the (number of) luggage each passenger can bring on board. However, it is important that passengers are able to carry their bags themselves. Also, keep in mind that there might not be enough space to store all their belongings in the designated luggage areas. Moreover, there are no specifications about traveling with a musical instrument or sports equipment. Therefore, if you are planning to bring your guitar or skis onboard, we recommend contacting the company directly. Another thing you should keep in mind is that the train company offers door-to-door services for those who cannot lift their own luggage. However, there are no prices indicated for such services, but they can vary depending on the distance between the train station and the passenger’s address.
Can I travel with my pet?
TGV pet policy states that dogs and other pets are allowed onboard. Each passenger can travel with up to two animals and a ticket has to be bought for them. In case you are planning to travel with a different type of pet, such as a miniature pig, you should contact the company.
|TGV pet policy for animals that weigh less than 6 kg:||The pets must travel in a bag or basket (up to 45 cm x 30 cm x 25 cm)||The fare will be 7€.|
|TGV pet policy for animals that weigh more than 6 kg:||The animals must wear a muzzle during the entire journey||Their fare will be 50% of the full 2nd class|
Are bikes allowed onboard?
TGV baggage allowance policy states that passengers are allowed to bring their bikes onboard, without extra charge. However, the bike must be folded to 90 cm x 120 cm or smaller. Otherwise you can remove the wheels and pack them in a carrying bag with the frame.
Cars and motorcycles on TGV trains | SNCF Auto/Train service
SNCF has a service called Auto/Train that enables passengers to travel by car or motorcycle. However, SNCF Auto/Train service must be booked at least seven months in advance. Prices for this service start from 119€.
OUIGO Baggage Allowance | Can I bring all my luggage onboard?
OUIGO is an independent subsidiary of the French national rail company SNCF that also uses some of the TGV trainsets. It is basically a low-cost high-speed train service that operates on the French rail network, connecting cities like Paris, Lyon, Marseille and Nantes.
OUIGO baggage allowance policy states that each passenger can bring one piece of hand luggage and one item of carry-on luggage, free of charge. The carry-on luggage must not be larger than 55 x 35 x 25 cm and passengers should place it under their seat. The hand luggage must not be larger than 36 x 27 x 15 cm and should be placed on the passenger’s knees during the journey. Families with small children can bring their pushchairs, without paying extra baggage fees.
OUIGO baggage allowance:
- 1 carry-on suitcase up to 55 x 35 x 25 cm;
- 1 personal item (e.g. a purse, a laptop bag…) up to 36 x 27 x 15 cm.
Wait, I have more suitcases. Do I need to pay excess baggage fees?
Passengers travelling with OUIGO can bring more suitcases onboard by purchasing the “extra bag” option. This will cost 5€. However, if the passenger does not select this option before the day of departure, they will have to pay 20€. At this point, please keep in mind that you will be able to bring only to additional bags by purchasing this service.
Alternative solution: Ship your suitcase with Eurosender
Carrying your heavy baggage from train station to train station can be exhausting. When you visit a new city you want to be refreshed and full of energy for further explorations. That is why we would recommend you to ship some, if not all, your items to your destination. Do you want the most affordable and safest way to do it? Then you can count on Eurosender.
Are bikes allowed on OUIGO trains?
OUIGO’s website mentions that passengers are allowed to take his/her bike onboard. They are treated as extra bags and you will be required to pay 5€. However, there are no specifications on of whether they should be folded or not and if there are any dimension limits. Therefore, for more information, contact the company directly.
Can I travel with my pets?
OUIGO pet policy states that pets, such as dogs and cats, are allowed onboard. Passengers can carry small animals (under 6 kg) as “hand luggage”. However, that means that they will not be able to bring an additional small bag. The fee for bringing animals that weigh more than 6kg is 30€. If you are planning to travel with a different animal, such as a ferret, we recommend contacting the company for further information.
Can I bring my guitar or snowboard onboard? | Bringing musical instruments and sports equipment in OUIGO trains
OUIGO baggage allowance policy does not include much information on musical instruments and sports equipment. That is why we would recommend you to check whether your items can fit into a case with the dimensions specified on the “extra bag” option. If you want to travel with a big musical instrument or sports equipment, we recommend you to contact the company or look for an alternative solution to bring your belongings to your destination.
Can I ship my items instead? | Eurosender
For some train passengers, bringing their luggage on board is not achievable. Maybe they are moving houses and cannot lift all their belongings. Or their age and any possible health issue might prevent them from lifting even the lightest of bags. In some occasions, the train company might prohibit certain items, such as musical instruments onboard. Whatever the case might be, shipping services can be a solution. Many people do not think of this option when traveling by train, bus or airplane. Therefore, they end up adding more costs to their travel budget, while lifting all these heavy bags along the way. Eurosender can help in this situation, by finding the most affordable and reliable shipping service provider for your needs.
But why should I choose Eurosender?
At Eurosender, we aim to assist individuals and business owners in the search of shipping solutions. There are various ways in which we try to put our customers above all:
- We help you save money. Our company has created a broad network of shipping service providers, with whom we collaborate. We constantly negotiate prices with them, while monitoring their performance. Due to our high volume of shipments, we are able to “unlock” the best prices that are available on the market. In return, low prices for shipping services are available to anyone in Europe. You do not have to be a big business owner to benefit from reduced prices. You can be a student, an employee, an artist or a small business owner.
- We like to spoil you. We might not be able to offer you a foot massage but all of our services are door-to-door. Not all shipping services offer the luxury of not stepping out of the comfort of your own home to ship a suitcase or parcel. After booking a service through Eurosender, a courier provider will pick-up your shipment from your doorstep and deliver it to the address you have indicated in the order form. We know that many of you might not have a car to move around in search of a drop-off location. Maybe you live in an apartment building with no elevator. Or it could be physically impossible for you to carry your shipment. Door-to-door shipping services can be very helpful in these cases.
- We abide by the rule “safety comes first”. Eurosender only collaborates with the most reliable logistics companies in Europe. We monitor their performance and make sure that they are dedicated to offering the best service. When booking a service through our platform you can rest assured that your shipment will be in good hands –whether it is a suitcase or a parcel. To make you feel even safer, we include basic insurance of up to 200€ in the final price, without any additional costs from your side. Of course, we offer you the possibility of purchasing additional insurance at very low rates. Last but not least, we always provide you with a tracking number which enables you to be informed about your shipment’s journey.
- We are always available for to hear you. Do you have any questions regarding the packaging of your shipment? You are not sure what service you should choose? There is no need to worry. You can always give us a call or write us an e-mail. Our friendly customer support team will be more than glad to help you. At the same time, we make sure that the most important information is always available on our website. For example, you can always check our shipping guide, where we help you with the packaging process of specific items.
Additional considerations | Eurosender
Apart from the standard shipping services, Eurosender offers customized offers as well. For example, your items might be too large, too heavy or too bulky for a standard shipment. In this case, you can ask for an individual offer and we will come back to you with an e-mail. You can later accept or decline the offer. You are not sure if you should ask for an individual offer or simply go through the standard shipping process? We have developed a shipment size checker calculator that will give you the answer. Just make sure to measure the dimensions and weight of your shipment.
*The information concerning SNCF’s TGV and OIGU baggage allowance is based on data collected from the company’s website on 10/09/2018 and it is subject to change.