Eurostar baggage allowance | Can I bring all my luggage on board?
Eurostar is the high-speed train that links the United Kingdom (UK) to France and Belgium, via the Channel Tunnel. It has definitely changed the way people travel around Europe and it is quite popular among young professionals and travellers. Today, the railway service connects the UK with over 100 destinations, via Paris, Brussels, and Lille.
Ready to ship?
When traveling with Eurostar, passengers who have purchased an adult ticket can bring 2 pieces of luggage with them. Those who have purchased a Business Premiere ticket can bring 3 pieces of luggage instead of 2. These should be up to 85 cm long and can include rucksacks, bags, suitcases or ski equipment.
Passengers can also carry a personal item, such as a handbag, a laptop bag or a briefcase. Pushchairs and prams are also welcome aboard, as long as the passenger will fold them and store them in the luggage rack above the seat. As for the children, they can bring 1 piece of luggage and a small bag with them. However, children under 4 have no baggage allowance.
It goes without saying that anything that is inherently dangerous is not allowed when travelling by train. Some items that are strictly forbidden when travelling with Eurostar are guns, knives, lighters, and explosives. If you are unsure about a specific item that you want to bring on board, you can directly contact the company.
Eurostar baggage allowance:
- Adult ticket: 2 pieces of luggage (up to 85 cm long) & a personal item
- Business Premiere ticket: 3 pieces of luggage (up to 85 cm long) & a personal item
- Children’s ticket: 1 piece of luggage (up to 85 cm long) & a personal item
- Children under 4: No baggage allowance
I have more suitcases. Will I have to pay extra baggage fees with Eurostar?
Maybe you were on a shopping spree in France and now you have too many bags with you. Or you could be moving from London to Brussels and need to take all your personal belongings to your new home. Whatever the case might be, you will be required to pay extra baggage fees for the additional luggage you want to bring.
Eurostar extra baggage fees
When a passenger brings more than the standard number of suitcases on a Eurostar train, he/she will be required to register their luggage. The same happens when the suitcase exceeds the 85 cm length limit. All the suitcases will be stored in a designated part of the train and the passenger will need to pay for them. The prices for each suitcase start from £30 (33€) and can be up to £55 (61€).
Alternative solution: Ship your suitcase with Eurosender
Tired of carrying your heavy baggage around the train stations and paying extra for their storage? You can always ship them directly to your destination. Eurosender can help you find the most affordable option to ship your items to any destination in Europe.
Can I bring my bike on board? | Eurostar baggage allowance
Passengers can bring their bikes when travelling with Eurostar but only on specific routes. If you want to take your bike with you, you should book a space separately to the train ticket. To make sure that the bike will actually travel on the same train, you should reserve this space in advance. If the bike is fully assembled, you should pay around £35 – £55 (38-61€). Bikes that have been packed in a box will cost less, usually up to £40 (44€).
Can I travel with my guitar or my snowboard? | Eurostar baggage allowance
When travelling with Eurostar, you may bring your musical instrument or sports equipment with you, as long as you pay attention to the company’s policy. Extra charges usually apply, especially when the items are quite large in size.
- Eurostar musical instrument policy clarifies that you can take your violin or guitar with you on board. To be more precise, any musical instrument that is under 85 cm long it is considered to be part of the passenger’s baggage allowance. That, however, means that the passenger will be able to carry fewer suitcases with him/her. If the passenger needs to carry a cello or any other medium-sized instrument, he/she will have to buy a companion ticket. You will need to contact the train company and learn how much it will cost for your specific route. You should also register bigger instruments that are over 136 cm long, such as harps, at least 48 hours before the departure. The price for this can be around £40 (44€). However, we would recommend you to contact the train company beforehand.
- Eurostar sports equipment policy states that passengers can bring their sports equipment along their journey, as long as they register their items before their departure. The price for sporting goods, such as golf clubs, can be £30 (33€). Given the fact that an exhaustive list of every type of sports equipment and its costs is not provided, we would recommend contacting the company. You should definitely do so when travelling with a large piece of equipment. At this point, it is worth mentioning that in certain Eurostar train routes, passengers are allowed to bring their ski equipment on board, without extra charge. This applies for trains going to Bourg-St-Maurice, Lyon, Avignon and Marseille.
Can I bring my pet onboard? | Eurostar baggage allowance
Only registered guide and assistance dogs can board Eurostar trains. Also, they are specific routes on which pets are allowed. These routes include London-Paris, London-Brussels, London-Lille, and London-Calais. Please, keep in mind that, when entering or exiting the UK, passengers should hold specific documents for their dogs. You can find these documents in DEFRA’s (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) website.
Can I ship my items instead? | Eurosender
For some train passengers, shipping their suitcases, musical instruments and sports equipment is a more affordable and convenient solution. At Eurosender, we regularly help travellers transport their items from one place in Europe to another.
Eurosender is a platform for booking logistics services, anywhere in Europe. Many of our customers are avid travellers and mobile people who need shipping services to escape the hassle of carrying their luggage around. Why are they choosing our services? Because we have developed a user-friendly engine that instantly finds the lowest price for every shipping route in Europe. Also, our services are door-to-door, which makes it extremely convenient for our customers.
Why should I send my suitcase with Eurosender?
- Our services are door-to-door. That means that the selected courier provider will pick-up your items from your doorstep and deliver it to another address, which can even be a hotel reception. Maybe you visited Paris for a shopping spree or you are moving to Brussels for your new job at the European Commission. You do not have enough hands for all these bags. Or maybe you are going on a ski trip in Bourg-St-Maurice and you need to bring your ski equipment. We assume that the last thing you want is to carry your heavy items from the train station to train station and all the way up to your mountain cabin. Shipping your items will help you travel with your hands-free.
- Safety is our priority. You might think that our affordable prices mean that we compromise the quality of our services. However, Eurosender only collaborates with the best logistics providers that operate in Europe. We keep track of each company’s performance and take the safety of each shipment very seriously. Our low prices are a result of our constant negotiations. Since there is a great number of shipping services booked through our platform, logistics companies are more willing to lower the prices for us. We, in turn, enable our customers to access these prices. If you are planning to travel with valuable items from one country to another, think about it twice. Although your belongings will be safe on the train, moving around the train stations will expose them to great danger. Thieves and pick-pockets usually target travellers and train or bus stations are their favourite lurking places. Shipping those items with a reliable company can be a safer solution. Eurosender can also offer you the possibility to track your shipment online, so you can always feel relaxed, knowing where your parcel is located.
- You can count on us. Certain items are not always allowed on trains. For example, bikes are not always welcome on specific train routes. However, biking can be the most fun and affordable way to explore new places in Europe. We do not want our customers to change their travel plans according to what they can board a train (or bus or aeroplane) with. We might not be able to ship your pets, but we can assist you when it comes to various inanimate objects. Want to use your favorite bike in another city? We have your back! Not only can we offer you a competitive price for shipping this bike, but we have created a detailed guide on how to properly pack it! We have many other similar guides for various objects that you might be clueless on how to pack them. At the same time, you can always contact us by phone or e-mail and we will be more than glad to help you out.
Additional considerations | Eurosender
Your items might be too large, too heavy, too many or oddly shaped for a standard shipment. However, we can still be your logistics partner! All you need to do is ask for an individual offer and we will come back to you with an offer that you can accept or decline. Unsure on whether you should ask for an individual offer or simply go through the standard shipping process? We have developed a shipment size checker calculator that will give you the answer. All you have to do is measure the dimensions and weight of your shipment.
*The information concerning Eurostar’s baggage allowance is based on data collected from the company’s website on 06/09/2018.