How to sell on Depop
Depop is a marketplace for selling and buying unique items, vintage & luxury fashion, sneakers, art, illustration, books and records. It is actually a community, where people chat, comment, like and share items that catch their eye. Selling on Depop is simple as long as you follow certain rules and build the community of buyers. Check our guide on how to sell on Depop.
Start selling on Depop
Whether you have decided to clear your wardrobe and sell the clothes you do not need or you want to sell books, arts, records, etc., these are the steps to follow:
- Download an app and sign up. Depop is a free to download app, compatible with IOS and Android devices. You can sign up with your Facebook account or with a valid email.
- Carefully choose your username and profile photo. Choose the username that is easy to remember. Fill in the details of your profile and select a picture of yourself.
- List your items. Include photos, title, description, price and shipping options.
- You will need a PayPal account. In order to sell on Depop, you will need to set up PayPal and connect it to Depop. You will be asked to enter your personal details and confirm your email address. By verifying your PayPal account, you will be provided with additional protection when buying and selling. Make sure to add the correct bank account, card details, mobile number and email address.
How much does it cost to sell on Depop?
Listing of items is free, but 10% fee on the total transaction amount will be charged when you sell an item (including shipping costs). There are further transaction charges. For example, PayPal transaction fee (depends on the country) for the UK is 3.4% + £0,20.
More tips on how to sell on Depop
If you want to attract more buyers and followers, the rules of selling on Depop are similar to those of other marketplaces. You will need to:
- Take care of the images. Good photographs are one of the most important factors for selling on Depop. Think about how you would best present your items so that they look attractive. Choose an interesting background, like a wooden floor or an interesting rug, add some accessories like flowers or model in them. Make sure that your item is the one that stands out and not the background or the accessories. Shoot in a daylight and use different angles to get more than one picture of your item. When taking videos, be careful about the noise, so rather find a quieter place.
- Take time to write a right description. It will help users to find your items and convert them into buyers. Be as descriptive as possible, include sizing, describe the materials, give style ideas. This will also leave potential buyers with fewer questions and you will look more trustworthy.
- Be honest. Tell the truth even if the item is not perfect. You want to avoid unhappy customers and negative ratings.
- Be active. Depop is a social platform, so staying active is a key. Do not post everything at once. You have to stay in people’s feed regularly. Share your listings on other social media and use Depop related hashtags. Add a Depop widget to your blog or website. Follow other users, like, comment, make connections with users. This way you will build your community and get more attention. Check also Depop community rules.
- Interact and communicate. Respond to comments and answer questions you get from potential buyers. If they have a good experience with you, they are more likely to convert and come back.
- Do not exaggerate with price and consider discounts. Especially when selling preowned stuff, be careful when setting a price. Making sale is important, so consider offering a discount here and there, especially for items you are struggling to sell or maybe for buying multiple items.
- If on holidays, put your shop on hold. Let your community know that you will be absent for a while. Add a note in your bio with the coming back date. Before leaving mark all sold items as sold or delete them do no one can buy them in meanwhile.
There also prohibited items to sell on Depop, which you would want to check before listing.
Steps after selling on Depop
Once you sell your item on Depop, you will have to ship it. Make sure the payment has cleared before you send out an item. And do not worry! Eurosender is here to help you full fill your shipping needs. With the help of our simple shipping engine below, you will get an instant quote with the best option for your shipping destination.
Use our free shipping platform to get access to a wide range of courier services and competitive prices. You will have all the information about your shipping in one place. The coherent interface allows you to see all the historical data about your past and current shipping. You can also give access to your account to any other member of your team. Besides this, registered business users get rewards and exclusive offers. And by selecting user credit as a payment method you can benefit from discounted prices. Make Eurosender your daily shipping platform.
Create a free account
It is important to communicate with your buyer also in the after-sales stage. First, thank your buyer for their purchase and let him/her know when you plan to ship their item.
You will have to provide the buyer with a proof of postage and a tracking number in a private message. We will send the tracking number to you and you can simply forward it to your customer. You want satisfied and happy customers, who will become returning buyers. Adding a personal note to a package will help improve someone’s buying experience. Check our comprehensive how to pack and shop guides for packing guidelines.
Selling on online marketplaces is simple and fun as long as you follow the rules. We have put together guides for selling on Gumtree, ASOS and Etsy. Check them out!