How to successfully ship to a residential area
Living in a residential area or a gated community may offer you all that you desire such as safety, tidiness and a convenient location. When you want to ship or receive a parcel to a residential area there are some aspects to keep in mind. A delivery to a gated community, or any other form of a residential area, can be problematic since it can be hard for the courier driver to locate the correct address or to get access to the premises. In this article, we will answer all questions regarding shipping packages to a residential area and how to avoid the most common reasons for a failed pick-up or delivery to a gated community.
Get an immediate quote to ship a package or a pallet to a residential area
How do I give the correct address for a delivery to a residential area?
Before you start shipping packages to a residential area, you need to know what it is. A Residential area is an area designed for housing and not for industrial or commercial purposes. There are many varieties of residential areas but to name a few:
All these types of residential areas have often a shared entrance, which may cause trouble when the courier wants to deliver a package to the address. To avoid this, it is of the utmost importance that you provide the correct, detailed address. Follow the instructions below to fill correctly the address when you have to ship something to a residential area.
Choose the country of pick-up/delivery.
- Name & Surname
Add the full name of the consignee.
Ex.: Karen Jones
Fill out the street name in full and the number.
Ex.: Pine street 11 Residential complex: The Old Oak.
- Additional info – Optional
Here you can write additional info as for example the job title of the consignee or perhaps a second consignee. Important: As these comments are optional, the courier doesn’t always take them into consideration.
- Zip code
Add the zip code, please double check if it’s the right one.
Ex.: K1A 0B1
Add the full name of the town or city.
- Phone number
Add the phone number, change the area code if needed.
Ex.: +1 20 1234 12345
Some things to pay extra attention to when shipping to gated communities or other residential areas
What is the best shipping service for my delivery to a residential area?
Shipping packages to a residential area is easy when using the services of Eurosender. The kind of service you need depends on the size and weight of your shipment. So, when you are shipping packages to a residential area, you can choose from the categories below.
Standard shipping service: With our standard shipping service you can ship anything from a backpack to a bulky suitcase. To make sure that your shipment qualifies for our standard shipping service, it is essential that it doesn’t exceed the maximum dimensions which you see below.
- Maximum weight of 40kg (30kg in some cases).
- A maximum length of 175 cm.
- Length (in cm) + 2x width (in cm) + 2x height (in cm) < 300 cm.
Best way to prepare your shipment to a residential area
Like with any other shipment with Eurosender, you only have to think of a few things when preparing your order for shipping to a gated community or a residential area. Below you can find a brief summary of the most important things.
What are things that might go wrong when shipping to a residential area and how to avoid it
Shipping to gated communities, or any other kind of residential area, can go wrong for different reasons. Let’s take a look at the most common issues so that you can avoid them and enjoy shipping packages to a residential area hassle-free.
Things you can do to ensure correct pick-up and delivery in a residential area
The courier company will try to do everything for a successful pick-up and delivery, but there are also several things you can do to avoid problems concerning delivery to a gated community or a residential address. Below you can find the most useful tips on how to effectively ship to a residential area.
- Business addresses are in some cases easier to access and you might be at the premises of your workplace a longer time during the day than at your home address. Consider having the shipment picked-up or delivered at your workplace.
- Always provide as much information as possible on the address label and maybe even more important, always double-check the information on the shipping label.
- Check the address details with the receiver. Does the doorbell work? Is the name of the recipient visible on the door? Does the telephone number of the receptionist work? Does the intercom work?
- It might be a good idea to inform the neighbours, the security guard or reception about the pick-up or delivery of your package. You could also decide to leave the package with them when you are not able to be present.
- Always track your parcel with our easy online tracking system. This way you have a good idea where and when your shipment will be delivered.
If you have some additional questions on how to ship to a residential address or you need to send or receive a package to a residential area feel free to contact our logistics experts.