Why forklifts are necessary when handling pallets
Shipping pallets may become quite a challenging task. First of all, you have to make sure that your pallet is properly stacked and secured. To safely ship your pallet, we recommend using a forklift. Forklifts are small industrial vehicles invented at the beginning of the 20th century that help you to lift and carry heavy pallets around. Forklifts are mainly used in warehouses, but they are also very useful when it comes to freight shipping.
If you wish to send a pallet via Eurosender, you need to keep in mind that you are also responsible for its safe transportation. Ideally, along with the pallet, you would need to provide a forklift to move it. A forklift might be a great investment in your business, as it allows you to move your palettes quickly and safely. By purchasing a forklift for your company, you will save yourself a lot of time and effort and will not be dependent on forklift rental or forklift leasing. However, if you don’t own a forklift yourself, it is not a problem, as courier companies can bring their own – but you need to make sure to ask them about it in advance. The couriers might also charge extra if you decide to rent a forklift for a day.
Forklifts are ideal for both wooden pallets and plastic pallets, but please keep in might that these kinds of pallets have their pros and cons: wooden pallets are more flexible but more susceptible to damage; plastic pallets are lighter and sturdier but not as flexible. Plastic pallets can also be reused multiple times, unlike wooden ones.
What is the difference between a forklift and a pallet jack?
The main difference between a pallet jack and a forklift is that the first one is operated manually. Therefore, it is perfect for lightweight pallets and moving freely. A forklift is much bigger and requires storage place and fuel, but it is also much more powerful and can lift several heavy pallets at once.
What kind of forklift do I need for pallets?
There are many different types of forklifts. Depending on the number and the size of your pallets and where you would like to transport them, you can choose between the following types of forklifts:
- Counterbalance forklifts are the most common types of forklift trucks, usually used in warehouses. They require a forklift license.
- Three-Wheel Counterbalance forklifts offer more maneuverability and are perfect for narrow aisles.
- Reach trucks are commonly used in warehouses where the racks are stacked high and you need a forklift to move them down or put them back up.
- Powered pallet trucks or Walkies run on electric energy and are often used to carry small loads.
- Sideloaders have the forks built in on the side, thus allowing them to pick up longer and wider loads.
- Teletrucks or telescopic forklifts are often compared to small cranes as they are able to reach heights and angles that other forklifts cannot.
Forklifts also differ in types of fuel:
- Electric forklifts might be more expensive initially, but they serve longer and are cheaper in consumption. Moreover, they produce no emissions and operate quietly, therefore they are perfect for working indoors.
- Gas forklifts move faster and can lift heavier loads.
- Diesel forklifts are recommended for outdoor heavy lifting.
How to protect pallets from forklift damage
- Properly train forklift operators. Hire drivers that possess forklift license or train your personnel.
- Make sure pallets are stacked evenly. Unbalanced stacks can easily fall over and cause pallet damage.
- Lift pallets instead of pushing them – never bulldoze the pallets around, lift them up in the air before moving them.
- Slow down before lifting a pallet. Do not slam into your pallet on full speed – it will only result in damaging it.
- Never shortfork – fully insert the forks when you are lifting the pallet, otherwise, the balance will be offset.
Pallet delivery with a forklift via Eurosender
Shipping your pallet with Eurosender is the right choice for you! Please inform the sales team in case you need a pallet delivery with a forklift, and we will make sure that the selected courier company comes with it. Eurosender will help you find the perfect balance between price and quality as well as offer you additional discounts if you are our business client. Make your first international pallet shipping with Eurosender today:
Last modified: March 14, 2019