Have you found yourself in a situation that you have ordered something online and then realized you do not need it? Then, you can refuse its delivery. But how to refuse a delivery when the package is already on its way?
What does “Receiver refused the delivery” mean?
It means that the consignee refused to accept the shipment. There are several cases why would a customer refuse its delivery:
- The consignee was not expecting any packages.
- He/she is not the person who was supposed to receive the shipment.
- If the customer expects not to be home at the delivery time and wants to pick it up from a designated place of the courier company.
- The consignee decided that he/she does not want/need the package anymore.
How to refuse delivery from online stores like Shopee, or couriers like UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc?
- You have ordered an item on Shopee and you decided you do not need it anymore. You can refuse the delivery if you have selected Cash on Delivery (COD) and the item will be returned to the seller. If you have selected any other paying method you would have to get in touch with the seller to see if you can get a refund and return the item. However, it is easier if you cancel the order before it has been shipped. The seller will then not have to pay any applicable fees for the order.
- You received a package from courier companies like UPS, FedEx, DHL etc. You can refuse the delivery even with couriers. If you are at home, when the courier driver comes, just let him/her know that you are refusing to accept the package. You will also be asked to provide a reason, as this is relevant information that the courier driver has to write down. However, if you are not at home, you can also put a written note on your door (or any other typical delivery location) that you want to refuse the delivery. In case they leave the package in front of your porch, do not open it, and call the courier company to return it to the nearest depot.
Can I refuse the delivery if I have shipped through Eurosender’s platform?
A shipment booked through our platform can be refused upon delivery. However, keep in mind that once the parcel is collected and is on the road, refunds are no longer possible.
And why would the courier refuse to deliver the package?
Couriers can refuse to deliver a package in the following circumstance:
- If the package is considered (or discovered) to be counterfeit.
- If the courier driver suspects the content of the package has drugs or other prohibited items.
- If they cannot physically get to the location.
- If there are bad weather conditions.
- If the receiver refuses to sign, the courier driver might refuse to leave the package.
What if the parcel was mistakenly flagged as “refused by the receiver”?
If the courier driver did not find you at home when trying to deliver the parcel, or if the courier had not even turned up (it could simply mean that he knocked at the wrong door), get in touch with the courier company. This way, you will avoid any additional costs or unwanted returns.
What does the courier do with the refused parcels?
Some couriers will either send the packages back to the sender or keep the parcel in their depot until the situation is clarified.
Once the parcel is processed for return, there is little you can do to change its route and it will most probably imply additional costs. Therefore, it is a golden rule is to always check to follow the transit of your parcel.
Last modified: February 26, 2020