Shipping with DHL: Check the list of restricted & prohibited items
DHL is a renowned courier company that offers shipping solutions all around the world. Before booking their logistics services, it is important to get familiar with DHL’s list of restricted and prohibited items to ensure your shipment is fully compliant with the carrier’s rules. Read on to find out what can you send with DHL and organise your delivery stress-free.
DHL Express Restricted items
- Alcoholic beverages
- Antiques and works of art with a shipment value above the threshold
- Banderols / Tax stickers with a shipment value above the threshold
- Commemorative coins and medals
- Dry ice
- Jewellery and watches and with individual values in excess of EUR 5,000
DHL Express Prohibited items
- Bullion of any precious metal
- Clinical testing kits, including COVID-19 tests
- Firearms, ammunition and explosive devices
- Flowers and plants
- Biological substances
- Cigarettes, cigars, tobacco products and electronic cigarettes
- Dangerous, hazardous goods & flammable compounds
- Financial and monetary commodities – examples include activated SIM cards for mobile phones, blank or activated credit or cash dispenser cards, blank cheques, event tickets, lottery tickets, money or postal orders, pre-paid phone cards, tickets (blank stock), traveller’s cheques, vouchers/tokens, unused stamps etc.
- Medicinal cannabis
- Aftershaves, aerosols
- Toy guns, firearm parts, tasers and replica ammunition
- Hunting animal trophies
- Human remains or ashes
- Illegal goods, such as counterfeit goods and narcotics
- Live animals
- Loose precious and semi-precious stones
- Money – banknotes, coins, travellers’ cheques
- More than 2 mobile phones, laptops and other small electronic items
- Pornography in film, print or digital format
Understand the difference between DHL Restricted & Prohibited items
DHL classifies as restricted items those goods that are not allowed to be transported unless the shipper has a specific contract with DHL. To obtain such permission, the shipper must provide the necessary documents and certifications proving that they are allowed to ship such items and establishing the conditions for the transport service.
Articles that are not allowed to be shipped in any condition, either by individuals or business users, are considered by DHL as prohibited items.
Consequences of shipping prohibited items with DHL
Shipments that contain any item included on the list of prohibited shipping by DHL are not covered by any insurance or liability. If the DHL courier discovers the restricted or prohibited item upon collection, he may refuse to pick up the parcel without the possibility of a refund. If the item is discovered during regular or customs scans/check-ups during transit, it may be destroyed or returned to the sender. In most cases, DHL will contact you when this happens to inform you of the next steps.
In any situation, we strongly advise against inserting wrong information on the content field when placing your order or purposely lowering the value of your goods to avoid taxation. Once discovered, your shipment will be held, and you will be at risk of being fined for releasing or retrieving your items.
DHL Shipping restrictions based on countries
Besides the DHL shipping regulations for restricted and prohibited items, every shipment is also subject to the laws and regulations of the countries involved in your delivery. This means that, even if an item is allowed by DHL, you should still check if it falls under any specific regulation on the countries of origin and delivery. While going through customs procedures, any additional documents required or fees incurred will be forwarded to the customer.
Shipping with DHL via Eurosender
At Eurosender, we work with a wide network of logistics providers, including DHL and several other international couriers. To ensure your delivery goes as planned, we strongly advise making sure your shipment is fully compliant with the DHL list of prohibited and restricted items and any other shipping restrictions. Once everything is checked, use our booking tool below to instantly check the price of shipping provided by multiple courier providers and schedule your delivery right away!
READY TO SHIP?
NEED MORE INFORMATION?