How to ship a violin across Europe and worldwide
Musicians, online music stores and individual shippers want to know the best way to ship a violin with courier services, to ensure their valuable instrument will arrive in one piece. At Eurosender, we understand how precious musical instruments are to our customers and the importance of packing and shipping violins properly for safe international shipping. Check our step-by-step guide on how to ship an electric or acoustic violin across Europe and worldwide, before booking low-cost and reliable courier services in a few easy steps.
ARE YOU A BUSINESS?
Sending violins and accessories abroad
THE BEST WAY TO SHIP
Sending a violin abroad with Eurosender
Do you have different requirements? Request an individual offer
How to pack a violin for shipping abroad
When deciding to ship a violin and bow internationally, follow these easy guidelines to ensure your instrument can be transported safely:
- Wrap the tailpiece with foam wrap and secure it with the packaging tape around the tailpiece.
- Protect the bridge by using two foam blocks of about 2.5cm thickness, place them under each side. You can also use paper towels.
- Cover the scroll with bubble wrap and secure with tape.
- Secure the bow by placing inside the case in its designated niche.
- Wrap violin including the scroll and chinrest with bubble-wrap.
- Fill any extra space with additional packing material to ensure pieces are unable to move.
- Close the case and secure all latches and zips.
- Place into cardboard box or violin shipping box with approximately 2-3cm of room on either side. Fill the bottom and extra space with packing peanuts around the violin case.
- Seal and label the box with ‘This side up’ or ‘Fragile’ to minimise the risk of damage from mishandling.
REASONS TO SHIP
Why people choose to ship a violin internationally with Eurosender
- Buying or selling a violin
- Sending a violin for repair or replacement
- Send your violin directly to your performance
- Relocation and removals
How much does it cost to ship a violin abroad via courier services?
Frequently asked questions about shipping a violin abroad via courier
Where can I find materials for packing a violin for shipping?
Due to its fragile nature, we always recommend wherever possible to use a violin case and violin shipping box to transport your violin safely. These are available to purchase from music stores as well as online. All additional materials such as bubble-wrap, cardboard, packing peanuts and paper can be found in stationary or hardware stores, and you may also find some which can be reused around the house or office.
Is there insurance included for shipping a violin?
With Eurosender, every shipment is covered by basic insurance included in the price. Additional insurance is also available to purchase during the booking stage. Please have in mind that insurance may not apply when shipping restricted items such as fragile violins.
Is insurance available for shipping an antique violin?
Insurance may not apply for fragile or valuable items such as antique violins, as these are considered restricted and prohibited items by most courier companies. Individuals who choose to ship fragile and valuable violins do so at their own risk. For more information on shipping valuable items, please see our dedicated page or reach out to our experts who will be happy to advise you.
Take into consideration these guidelines when shipping a violin abroad or domestically. Nevertheless, please consider that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. In case you decide to ship valuable items such as violins and musical instruments, Eurosender will not be responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.