How to safely ship a telescope abroad
Are a true astronomer, a kid that aspires to become the new Galileo or you are a small business selling telescopes? With Eurosender everybody can ship a telescope abroad! We can arrange the transport for both professional telescopes as well as beginner models. No matter how big or small your telescope is. In this article, we will go over our telescope packing guide and we’ll mention some cases where a customer sends a telescope by mail.
Send a telescope by mail with Eurosender
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will be provided with the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to pack your items for shipping
Before you send a telescope by mail, there are a few things to consider:
- Be present on the pick up address: Always place the order 2 working days before your planned departure date in case you decide to leave the pick-up address
- Choose the proper insurance plan: Every standard shipment is insured up to €200 but we also offer additional insurance at low rates. If your telescope is valuable, please tell us and our sales agents will tell you about our additional insurance possibilities.
- Double-check the dimensions of your package: The dimensions of the shipment determine the price. With our handy Size Shipment Tracker below you easily measure the dimensions of your package when you ship a telescope abroad.
Check your parcel's dimensions
Telescope packing guide
The most important when you ship a telescope abroad, proper preparation is crucial in ensuring a successful and, above all, stress-free delivery process. In the following sections, we will go over the recommended materials to send a telescope by mail and a step by step guide on how to pack a telescope.
Telescope packing guide: recommended materials
When you ship a telescope abroad you want to have the right packing materials to ensure the most optimal protection while being transported. The materials below are available in your local supermarket or in any hardware store
- Plastic bags: Try to find bags that you can easily close and open. There are also bubble wrap bags available, which are extremely useful for packing fragile items.
- Cardboard box: Big enough to give room to all the parts plus some additional space for the cushioning material.
- Bubble wrap: When you don’t have bubble wrap, try using blankets or newspapers wrapped in foamy material.
- Cushioning material: Packing peanuts are made for cushioning and are widely available. When you don’t have them, you can always use something else like shredded paper or bubble wrap.
- Pallet: make sure you get your hands on a decent sturdy pallet.
- A wooden crate for maximum protection.
- Pallet straps: to securely attach your telescope to the pallet.
Telescope packing guide: preparing your parcel
If you are about to send a telescope via standard service:
- Wrap the individual parts by wrapping them with bubble wrap or padded foam sheeting. Put small items in plastic pouches.
- Put the telescope and bags central in the box.
- Secure with appropriate cushioning materials such as the peanuts, crumpled paper and bubble wrap.
- Seal and label the box (if needed). Use adhesive tape to seal the box. You can label it with a sign saying “Fragile” or “Handle with care”. However, note that such a warning cannot guarantee that the package will be treated as such and should not substitute adequate packaging.
If you are about to ship a telescope abroad as a freight shipment:
- Prepare the telescope in advance. Remove the detachable parts and pack them separately in plastic bags. Label the contents of the bags. Tape any loose parts.
- Pack cables and cords in plastic bags and/or bubble wrap.
- Protect any parts that cannot be removed with bubble wrap so that nothing moves during transport.
- Wrap the telescope entirely in bubble wrap, together with cushioning materials.
- Place the telescope central on the pallet and make sure it is placed centrally. If you have a crate, place the telescope inside for maximum protection.
- Attach everything to the pallet. Use several pallet straps to fix the items on the pallet. The straps must fit under the pallet and be pulled over the cartons.
If you wish to ship a telescope that is a bit bigger/more valuable, by pallet or crate, we ask you to contact our sales agents for an individual offer.
Send a me quote
Why use Eurosender?
Reasons why people ship a telescope abroad
- Professional use
Are you working in the field of astronomy and do you need to transport a specific telescope abroad? Then Eurosender can help you save time and money shipping all over the globe. When you have large amounts to ship be sure to check out our page for businesses and shipping an entire pallet.
If you are moving abroad, you might want to bring your or your kid’s telescope with you. The safest way is to ship them with a courier whose mission and business exists in safe shipping.
- Selling/buying a telescope
When you are looking at ads on online marketplaces such as eBay or OLX, you can often find a budget-friendly option for your needs. Eurosender can help you send a telescope by mail so that you don’t have to worry about anything when it comes to shipping.
Whether you have questions about how to ship a telescope abroad or about our telescope packing guide, you can always contact our outstanding Customer Support team. They will be happy to help!