How to ship antiques and antique furniture abroad
Professional businesses including antique collectors and individual owners are often looking for a safe and reliable antique courier. With thousands of logistics providers to choose from, spending hours comparing each offer to find the best deal can be a nightmare. At Eurosender, we have already helped many businesses including antique furniture stores to ship antique furniture by courier, saving them time and money by combining the capabilities of our vast network of logistics carriers and pre-negotiating the best price available. So, all you have to worry about is how to pack your antiques for safe shipping.
ARE YOU A BUSINESS?
Worldwide courier services for businesses
Join thousands of other businesses who have registered with Eurosender and are already benefiting from their own personalised logistics dashboard to ship antiques by courier services. Increase efficiency with faster booking and convenient payment options. Your own logistics watchtower allows you to keep track of all your logistics processes in one place, access to a network world-renowned logistics carriers and unbeatable prices for domestic and international services for shipping antique furniture.
THE BEST WAY TO SHIP ANTIQUES
International antiques delivery services – with Eurosender
Depending on the size of your antique furniture shipment, we have a solution to suit any shipping requirement:
Do you have different requirements? Request an individual offer
How to pack antiques for safe shipping
- Wrap each item separately: First, wrap with paper then bubble wrap on the outside, wrap each item several times. Secure with adhesive tape.
- Place into a small box: Placing a layer of cushioning material first, then place the antique piece into the box, filling any remaining space with additional cushioning. Ensure your item is unable to move by shaking the box gently. Seal the box with tape.
- Wrap outside of the box: Using extra foam sheets, wrap the outside of the smaller box for extra protection of your antique shipment
- Place into a larger box: Adding additional cushioning material to the inside to prevent the smaller box from moving during transport. Then seal the larger box with tape.
Shipping antiques on a pallet
- Prepare the item for transport: Before you start shipping antiques on a pallet, ensure all drawers are taped shut, and loose parts are secured with cables.
- Protect edges with cushioning: Use padding and foam cushioning, wrap the item to prevent any damage to the item during transport.
- Place the item on the pallet: Placing a layer of corrugated cardboard underneath the item, place the item in the centre of the pallet.
- Wrap with additional layers or use a crate: Wrap the entire antique furniture shipment with extra layers of foam cushioning and bubble wrap. We recommend to use as many layers as possible, and a variety of materials to add extra protection. If you have a crate, place the crate on top and fill any extra space with padding.
- Stretch foil and strap securely: Wrap the outside of your item with stretch-foil, securing it to the bottom of the pallet. Use straps to secure the outside of the pallet.
Restrictions on sending valuable items by courier
For individuals: Shipping valuable or fragile items such as antiques of high value is not recommended, and individuals choose to do so at their own risk.
For businesses: Shipping valuable items is possible through pre-agreed terms with specialised antique furniture logistics companies. If you are still unsure of the best way to ship antique furniture, don’t hesitate to contact our team of experts who can provide assistance and advice regarding any type of shipment.
Get an instant quote for your shipment
Frequently asked questions for shipping antiques across country and abroad
How do I find out the best way to send antiques and antique furniture abroad by courier?
When you have prepared your antique for shipping, carefully measure the entire package or pallet. Insert the dimensions and weight into our size checker to find out the service which is best suited to the size of your antique shipment.
How do I find out the cost of shipping antiques abroad and book the service?
For Express, Standard and Pallet delivery (in Europe), you will receive an instant price for shipping antiques abroad. Then you can simply accept the offer and pay for the service to book the shipment. You will receive a confirmation by email, including any additional instructions.
For a larger international shipment or unusual requests, you will need to request an individual offer. Simply enter your details and our team of experts will prepare a tailor-made offer for the best price available on the right service for transporting antiques.
Can an individual ship antiques and antique furniture abroad?
As antiques and antique furniture can be of higher value and are often fragile, we do not recommend individuals ship these. Any damage or losses caused by shipping antiques by courier are the responsibility of the shipper, and insurance does not apply for sending valuable items by courier or fragile items.
If you do wish to ship antiques abroad, or book removal services for antique furniture, you can do so at your own risk. For more information on shipping prohibited and restricted items, please see our dedicated page.
Is insurance included when shipping antiques overseas and domestically?
- For individuals: Unfortunately, insurance does not apply for shipping prohibited and restricted items such as fragile items and those of high value.
- For businesses: Depending on the type of courier service, basic insurance may apply and additional insurance may be available to purchase during booking.