How to safely ship antiques and antique furniture abroad by courier
More and more people are looking to ship antiques and antique furniture abroad. Professional businesses and antique collectors are often looking for a safe and reliable antique furniture courier. We know that shipping antiques on a pallet or in a crate involves huge responsibility. At Eurosender, we are aware of the challenges of shipping internationally, which is why we are partners with a variety of logistics companies specialized in different types of shipping and in different routes. In this article, we will go over some of the hurdles of shipping antiques and how to properly pack antiques for safe shipping.
How Eurosender can help you ship antiques abroad by courier
That’s how simple it is! We will organize everything else and act on your behalf when arranging the transport with the courier company. We only ask you to carefully read this article on how to ship antiques abroad.
Should you have any questions regarding the ordering process or your shipment, do not hesitate to contact our friendly support team.
How to pack antiques for safe shipping?
The most important part of the shipping process is the preparation: gathering the right packaging materials and making sure your items are safely packed. Before we tell you how to pack antiques for safe shipping, there are some other things to consider when shipping items with Eurosender.
- Enter the final dimensions and weight of your parcel in the dimension Calculator below and find out which service is the best for you. If your shipment exceeds the requirements for standard shipping, ask for an individual offer.
- After you have booked a shipment, Eurosender will let you know whether or not you need to print and attach the label to your parcel.
- We suggest you book your shipment at least two working days before the desired pickup date. In case you won’t be present at the pickup address on the collection date, please make sure you leave someone you trust responsible for handing over the goods to the courier driver.
Packaging materials for shipping antiques by courier
Since antiques are very valuable, it is very important to select proper packaging materials in order to ensure safe transport. These are the materials we recommend to pack antiques for safe shipping:
- Styrofoam sheets, which have to be thick enough to protect delicate items.
- Packing paper and foil for wrapping the items.
- Strong adhesive tape and scissors for sealing the boxes and cutting materials.
- Two cardboard boxes of different sizes. You can buy them at a stationery or hardware store or you can also use old ones, which you can get at your local supermarket. Just make sure that they are in good shape, showing no signs of damage.
- Cushioning materials, like packing peanuts, bubble wrap, air bags, foam, blankets, crumpled paper will give extra protection to your shipment. You can buy them at a stationary or hardware store.
- A pallet that is in good condition, for shipping bigger items like antique furniture.
- A strap kit to secure the items on the pallet.
- A crate on the pallet for optimal protection.
How to pack antiques for safe shipping: step by step explained
Follow these steps to ensure the safe transport of your antiques:
- Wrap each item with paper followed by layers of bubble wrap. Secure the wrapping materials with adhesive tape.
- Fill your box with Styrofoam sheets for internal cushioning. And put a base layer of cushioning material like crumpled paper or bubble wrap.
- Place your items in the box and add more cushioning material. Make sure that the antiques are securely, centrally placed in the box and that they can’t move. You can do this by gently shaking the closed box. To finalize this, seal the box with tape.
- Use more Styrofoam sheets to protect the box from the outside. Cut and attach the sheets to all sides of the box with adhesive tape.
- Put the smaller box into a larger one. Fill the empty space with cushioning materials.
- Seal the box and label it if needed. Close the box and use sufficient adhesive tape to secure the box. You can also mark the package with the label “Fragile” or “Handle with care”. Even though it makes the courier aware of the content of the parcel, he or she is not obliged to handle the parcel in such way.
Shipping antiques on a pallet
- Prepare the item for transport.
Before you start shipping antiques on a pallet, you need to make sure that your items are transport-ready! Make sure that drawers are taped shut, loose parts can’t fall off and that cables are wrapped.
- Take care of the padding and place the item on a pallet.
Take some corrugated cardboard and put it on the pallet surface before you transfer your antique on it. Place the item central on the pallet.
- Use several layers of protection or simply build a crate around the item.
Once your items are safely loaded on a pallet, it is time to add a few layers of protection. You can wrap antique furniture like chairs, commodes, and lamps with bubble wrap, blankets and some cardboard. We always recommend using several different protective materials at once to create more layers and finishing with something like thick foam wrap. Secure this structure with stretch foil and tape so it will stay in place.
If you have a crate, place the wrapped items in it and add internal cushioning.
- Strap well.
You can wrap the entire pallet and content with some stretch foil for protection. Use bands to strap all the items and boxes to the pallet. Wrap the bands around the items several times and in several different ways to make sure they are safely loaded.
Why shipping your antique furniture abroad by courier through Eurosender
- You will get the best offer on the market with a price discounted up to 70%.
- We cooperate with logistics companies specialized in different kinds of shipping and for different routes so we can always find the best solution for your antique furniture shipment.
- User-friendly platform and simple ordering process.
- Tracking number to track your parcel online.
- Friendly support staff speaking 15 local languages.
Looking for a B2C antique furniture courier?
Eurosender brings opportunities to new businesses that do not have high bargaining power in establishing contracts with logistics companies yet. We provide full guidance on how to pack your antiques’ shipment and our team of experts can help you understand and explore your business’ shipping options anytime.
What Eurosender can do for your business when you need an antique furniture courier?
- Help you save time and effort needed to identify and compare the best shipping rates and the most reliable logistics providers, giving you access to the services offered by the most trusted logistics operators in the world.
- Act on your behalf in any interaction with the logistics providers.
- Offer shipping solutions by combining the capabilities of many logistics providers.
- Give prompt solutions in case of service unavailability – any shortage can be easily solved by temporarily shifting to a different provider.
Removal Services for Antique Furniture
Eurosender doesn’t help just businesses. Therefore, if you are looking for a good, safe and affordable removal service for your antique furniture you came to the right place. Whether you are moving to another city or country, Eurosender can help you arrange the shipping of your antique furniture abroad by courier.
Please note that regular insurance doesn’t count for packages that are not recommended for shipping and the same goes for additional insurance. This is why it is very important you take extra care when packing your antiques for shipping. Take a look at our dedicated article for more information on shipping insurances and at the list of restricted items.
If you have more questions on how can Eurosender help find an antique furniture courier or how to place and ship antiques on a pallet, you can always call or write an e-mail to our support team. They will be more than happy to give you the answer you are looking for.
Take into consideration these guidelines when you ship antiques abroad. Nevertheless, please consider that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. In case you decide to ship antiques abroad, Eurosender will not be held responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.