Claim procedure & refunds
When can I start a claim procedure?
If your parcel arrived damaged or the selected courier company declared it officially lost, you are entitled to start a claim procedure. In case of a damaged shipment, it is important that you inspect its integrity when the courier delivers it and file a report together with the courier driver.
How does the claim procedure work?
In case of loss or damage of the parcel, Eurosender offers free assistance in submitting complaints to the logistics service provider. We will carry out the entire process on your behalf, from gathering the entire documentation to keeping the communication with the selected courier provider. Whenever a new event occurs, we will send you updates on the situation.
The claim procedure, step by step.
There are a few things you need to keep in mind when starting a claim procedure.
1. File a damage report together with the courier driver
Once the parcel reaches the destination, don’t sign the delivery confirmation without hesitation. Instead, check its condition in the presence of the courier driver. In case the parcel has clear signs of damage, ask the courier driver to file a damage report. The damage report should have both your signature and the one of the courier driver.
Without a damage report, the claim is likely to be rejected by the courier company. Please note that allegations that the courier driver left too fast or that the damage was discovered only after unwrapping/opening the parcel, will not be taken into consideration by the courier company.
2. Report the event to Eurosender
Once you have the document and other supporting information to report your case, send us an email at email@example.com. The email has to be sent no later than 48 hours after you have received your shipment.
3. The necessary documentation
Upon receiving your e-mail, Eurosender will send you a special form to fill out. The information that has to be provided are:
- The list of the damaged/missing item(s) and their value;
- The content and the estimated value of your item(s);
- The method of packaging and photos of the parcel;
- The proof of collection and invoice(s) of the lost/damaged item(s). In case you will not able to provide the invoice(s), you will be asked to provide an estimated value of your damaged or lost item(s).
4. The submission of the documentation
After gathering all the documentation, Eurosender will submit them to the logistics service provider in charge of the delivery. We will keep you updated about the progress of the claim procedure via email. During the process, we might ask you to provide us with additional information, so we recommend checking your email regularly.
5. The duration of the claim procedure and its conclusion
Upon receiving the documentation of the claim, the logistics service provider has up to one (1) month time to render a decision.
In case the claim is rejected, we will inform you about the reason for rejection and potential explanations.
In case the claim is accepted by the courier company and the insurance company (if you had purchased additional insurance), we will communicate the exact amount of money that is granted to you by the courier company and by the insurance company. The amount of compensation is calculated based on the evaluation of the logistics service provider. In this case, we will need the bank account details in order for us to transfer the compensation to you. The money transfer is carried out within 30 business days.
The decision on the admissibility of the claim and on the amount of refund is made independently by the logistics service provider. Please note that once the courier company issues a decision, the claim procedure is considered concluded. No appeal can be made to their decision.
What is the amount I will be compensated for?
If your claim is accepted, you will be compensated according to the actual costs of repair/replacement of your damaged or lost items, but limited to:
- 200 € for packages or suitcases if you didn’t purchase any additional insurance;
- the additional insurance coverage purchased for packages or suitcases;
- the value established by the CMR Convention for freight if you didn’t purchase additional insurance; or,
- to the value of your shipment, in case that you purchased additional insurance for freight.
How does the claim procedure work in case I had purchased additional insurance?
The process is similar as described above. The logistics provider will have to render a decision about the admissibility of the claim. Only if they have accepted the claim, the insurance company providing the additional insurance will also compensate. If the claim is rejected by the logistics provider, the amount covered by the additional insurance will not be granted.
How soon shall I start a claim of my shipment was damaged?
If your shipment was damaged and you filed a damage report, please let us know as soon as possible. We will send you the instructions and you will need to send us all the necessary information in maximum 48 hours.
The courier companies we work with have different time limits for submitting the claim documentation. Time is crucial, therefore make sure you inform us as soon as possible.
If my parcel contained prohibited items, am I still entitled to receive compensation?
If you had placed items that are forbidden from shipping, you will not be entitled to compensation. This is because the insurance applies only if the shipment contains allowed items for shipping and it is packed in the recommended way for transportation with logistics providers.
What are the reasons for a courier to refuse a claim?
The courier company can decide to refuse a claim for different reasons, such as, but not limited to forbidden content, missing damage report, filing the claim after the time limit imposed for such matters, inappropriate packaging etc.
What happens if I don’t have the damaged report filed with the courier driver?
The damage report is a necessary document to start a claim. Eurosender can still send the incomplete documentation to the courier company, but it may not be accepted by the courier company.
If my claim is accepted and reimbursement is granted, how soon will I receive the money?
Once you are informed that the reimbursement is granted, according to our Terms and conditions, you will receive a refund within 30 days from the moment we informed you about the admissibility of the refund.
What information do I need to provide in order for the money to be transferred?
If reimbursement is granted, you will need to provide us with one of the following details:
- Bank transfer – IBAN number, SWIFT code, name and address of the payer;
- PayPal – the correct email address linked to the PayPal account;
- Credit Card – if your chosen payment method was Credit Card, we don’t need any further details.
If I paid with one payment method, can I receive the reimbursement through a different one?
You will always receive the reimbursement through the payment method chosen when placing the order.
In case you paid for the service via bank transfer, you can arrange to receive the reimbursement via PayPal instead. For Credit Card payments, you will always receive the refund on the same Credit Card.
Things to take into consideration before starting a claim procedure
- The insurance is only valid if the items have been properly packed in accordance with our guidelines. Proper packaging for shipments includes an undamaged and strong cardboard box or a hard-shell suitcase, covered with stretch wrap. For freight shipments, the use of a pallet and other special packaging materials are recommended in order to fix the shipment and allow for easier handling by the courier service provider. On our website, you can find more information about how to properly prepare the packages and freight shipments for shipping.
- The insurance will not apply if your package or freight shipment contains prohibited items. For a complete list of prohibited items, please read section 10.4 of our Terms and Conditions.
- If you are sending items of high value or items sensitive in nature and which are more prone to damages during transportation, you are strongly advised to purchase additional insurance.