Choosing the best envelope for your shipping needs
Save money on packaging materials and consider using an envelope instead of a box for your shipment, where possible. Learn about different types of shipping envelopes from padded to poly mailers and where to buy them cheaply. Whether you are mailing important documents, clothes, books or small items in envelopes, Eurosender has an easy and cost-effective shipping solution for you.
Get a quote
Choosing the right envelope for your shipment
Envelopes used for mailing vary in terms of material and strength. It is important to choose a suitable envelope depending on the document or item you are shipping.
- Standard paper envelope – the most common envelope, ideal for sending letters and documents.
- Cardboard envelope – sturdy envelope, recommended for sending items such as books or CDs.
- Padded envelope or bubble mailer – envelope lined with bubble wrap to protect small items.
- Plastic envelope or poly mailer – lightweight waterproof envelope, often used for sending T-shirts and other clothes.
Different shipping envelope types and sizes
Shipping envelopes come in different types and sizes. The best envelope for your shipment will depend on the documents or items you are sending. The international standard sizes of the most commonly used envelopes are listed below:
- C6 (11.4 x 16.2 cm): ideal for A6 sheets or small items such as micro SD cards;
- DL (11 x 22 cm): ideal for mailing letters and documents (up to 4 or 5 sheets);
- C5 (16.2 x 22.9 cm): recommended for greeting cards, invitations or small brochures;
- C4 (22.9 x 32.4 cm): allows you to send A4 sheets without having to fold them;
- B4 (35.3 x 25 cm): ideal for documents that cannot be folded, such as certificates or photographic plates;
- C3 (32.4 x 45.8 cm): large envelope, ideal for posters or discs.
Where to buy envelopes for shipping
You can buy shipping envelopes in various stores and also online. It is also possible to reuse paper, cardboard or padded envelopes for your shipment as long as they are in good condition. You can buy shipping envelopes from the following places at cheap prices:
- Stationery stores
- Specialist stores
- Amazon and other online stores
- Post office
HOW TO SHIP
Shipping documents and other items in an envelope
HOW TO PACK
How to pack an envelope for shipping
Check our general guidelines below on how to pack documents or other items in an envelope:
Choose a suitable envelope for your item type and size.
If necessary, wrap the item or document in extra material for better protection.
Place the item or document inside the envelope.
Close and seal the envelope and attach the shipping label.
ARE YOU A BUSINESS?
Join thousands of businesses that have chosen Eurosender as their
permanent shipping platform and get immediate access to multiple benefits.
Set up a business account
NEED MORE INFORMATION?