Can I ship a gift basket to a hospital? And other frequently asked questions.
When a dear friend or a loved one is in the hospital, you want to make sure that they are treated well, and you want to show them that you are thinking of them or that you are really happy for them. Unfortunately, you cannot visit them in person, you are abroad for studies or work or holidays. This should not stop you from sending them something nice. In this article, we will give you some tips and tricks and we answer some FAQs like ‘Can I ship a gift basket to a hospital’.
The do’s and don’ts if you want to ship a gift basket to a hospital
If you decide to ship something nice to a friend or loved one in the hospital, make sure you DO:
- Call a close relative or friend ahead, seeing if it is possible and in good spirit to send them something. You cannot ship flowers or food to someone who is in intensive care …
- Call the hospital and ask the following questions:
- Can the patient have flowers, chocolate, etc in their room? Are the conditions favorable?
- Can you send items to the hospital? You cannot send items to a specific room, but in many cases, you can give up the address of the hospital and your items will be delivered to the reception.
- Ask if they are willing to receive the parcel and if yes, ask for the exact the hospital and details of the reception desk, such as contact person, etc.
- Ask them as well, between which times they would recommend items being delivered. If you have chosen for our standard courier service, the courier will probably deliver your parcel between 8h and 19h, you can add the time indication anyway.
3. Read this entire article!
These are the things you can do; the following list contains what you CANNOT do:
- Send forbidden and prohibited items. Check our blog article for more information.
- Ask the courier to deliver straight to the patient’s room.
- Send items that are harmful in a hospital environment like electronic device that emit some sort of radiation.
Can I …
Can I ship balloons to a hospital?
The content of floating balloons is helium, which is a non-flammable substance. So, in theory, there are no restrictions to ship a balloon to a hospital. The fragility of a balloon, on the other hand, makes it not the most recommended item to ship. For more information, visit our page on how to ship fragile items for packing tips.
Can I ship chocolate to a hospital?
A classic hospital gift is a box of chocolates. A simple but delicious box with good things that can be shared as well. Many people worry about shipping chocolate with a courier service, but it is easier than it seems. The most important thing when shipping chocolate, is that you have the proper packaging. Check out our Ship chocolate internationally page for more information, nevertheless, we do not recommend shipping any sort of food that can be spoiled.
Can I send food to a hospital?
Not only chocolate but food, in general, is a common gift in hospitals. Whether it is because the food is not that good or because your soup has healing powers, shipping food is more common than you think. Nevertheless, we do not recommend shipping any sort of food that can be spoiled.
Can I send a bottle of champagne to a hospital?
Nothing says congratulations with your new baby more than a bottle of champagne. Even though a bottle of champagne is very fragile, with the proper packaging and preparation, you can send bottles of champagne across the world. Read our article on how to do so!
Can I ship plants or flowers to a hospital?
Sending potted plants via courier is also possible, but there are certain restrictions related to their transportation. We will provide you helpful shipping and packaging guidelines for potted plants, evergreen trees, outdoor and inland plants. So, you can make their hospital room a bit nicer.
So, can I ship a gift basket to a hospital? Yes, you can! Shipping gifts across the world are what we like to do best. If you have any questions regarding our services, do not hesitate to contact us!
Last modified: July 4, 2019