Shipping outdoor plants abroad or domestically
Many people consider growing various plants and flowers in their gardens or simply keep potted plants in their homes as a decoration. Sometimes, it is difficult to find some types of flowers or trees in your home country, so there is a necessity for shipping outdoor plants abroad or across the country. Sending potted plants via courier is also possible, but there are certain restrictions related to their transportation. That way, we will provide helpful shipping and packaging guidelines for potted plants, evergreen trees, outdoor and inland plants. You will also get an instant delivery quote for potted plants and for those growing outdoors.
Place an order and get a delivery quote for potted plants
Shipping with Eurosender is very convenient owing to door-to-door shipping services. We will organize your shipment and take over the communication with logistics companies.
- First of all, you need to prepare your plants for transportation. You need to do it properly either before sending plants via courier or shipping outdoor plants to another city. For that purpose, we have prepared some packaging guidelines for potted plants, evergreen trees, and bare roots plants. Check them and secure your shipment properly.
- Before shipping outdoor plants abroad or domestically, you need to nest them in the box while packaging. Afterwards, take its dimensions and insert them into the Shipment Size Checker. This tool will help you to determine which type of shipping services suits you best.
- When you plan shipping outdoor plants abroad, you need to check the official regulations for shipping plants and trees internationally. Some courier service providers have plants and trees on the list of prohibited or restricted items. Check if any documentation is needed for plants while shipping restricted items via courier in order to avoid any unexpected or unpleasant situations.
- As most plants are rather fragile and delicate, you can use a pallet to send several packages with plants in one order. Using a pallet significantly enhances the safety of your items during transportation. If you are not sure what shipping option is the most suitable for you, contact our logistics experts for detailed information on the case.
- It is very easy to book shipping services on our platform and the entire ordering process will take less than 5 minutes. It is very important to provide exact shipment details and correct personal information.
- Place an order at least 2 business days before the expected pick-up date.
- Another benefit is that Eurosender insures each shipment for up to €200 automatically. Given that plants and flowers are on the list of restricted items, you need to check the items that are not covered by shipping insurance. It means that sending potted plants via courier is at your own risk.
Sending potted plants via courier is easy. In case you need more information and details, our customer support agents will gladly assist you. Moreover, they will provide an instant delivery quote for potted plants, evergreen trees, or any other kind of plants.
Materials you need to pack plants for shipping
As plants are rather delicate items, you have to take the appropriate packaging materials to protect them during transit. Here is the list of materials you will need to prepare plants for transportation.
- Paper towels – take moist paper towels to cover the roots of your plant.
- Bubble wrap – it is essential to cover fragile and delicate parts and items.
- Packing peanuts – for the internal cushioning of the box.
- Plastic bag – it is needed to cover the roots of the plant.
- Newspapers – they are helpful for covering the top of the plant.
- Cling film – for covering and protecting the plant itself.
- Cardboard boxes – you need to take at least two of them for packing your plants.
- Cardboard scrap – cardboard scrap pieces are essential to separate items from each other if you are going to send several plants in one box.
- Adhesive tape – for fixing the items and sealing the box.
- Pallet – when you decide to send several plants or trees, it is better to take a pallet and secure the boxes to it.
You can take used packing materials if they are sturdy and without scratches or damages. However, you can purchase some new ones in the hardware or stationery stores in your area.
Packaging guidelines for potted plants and other types of plants
If you consider sending potted plants via courier, it is necessary to prepare them for transportation. Follow the guidelines below to pack your plants appropriately. That way, the risks of damage are minimized so that your package will be delivered safe and unscathed.
- Water your plant. Make sure that a plant is properly hydrated before transportation. This is crucial especially when you plan to export outdoor plants abroad.
- Prepare potted plants for transportation. If you are sending potted plants via courier, you need to remove its roots from the soil first. Carefully remove the plant from its pot and shake it slightly in order to remove as much soil as possible. If you decide to ship a plant in its pot, cover the pot with bubble wrap, put several pieces of cardboard scrap on the soil, and secure it properly.
- Protect the roots of the plant. Take several moist paper towels to cover the roots. That way, you will ensure appropriate hydration of the plant during transit. Afterwards, cover the roots with bubble wrap and a collar of cardboard. Place them in a plastic bag then and fix it with adhesive tape. Put some pieces of cardboard scrap around to protect the roots of the plant.
- Protect the top of the plant. Take some newspapers or cling film to cover the tops of the plant so that it does not get crumpled.
- Put a plant in the box. Stand a plant upright if possible and put some packing peanuts inside the box. They will restrict the movement of the plant inside the box and minimize the chance of damage.
- Seal the box. When you are sure that the items do not move inside the box, you can seal the box and secure its seams with adhesive tape.
- Put a label. Consider labelling a box with “Fragile” or “Perishable”. However, note that such a warning cannot guarantee that a package will be treated as such and should not substitute proper packaging.
- Prepare a pallet. As you know, shipping plants on the pallet is rather safe. If you decide to ship several packages with plants via courier, it makes sense to use a pallet.
Is it possible to export outdoor plants abroad?
When it comes to the delivery of plants to another country, it is necessary to check official requirements and regulations related to international plant transportation. Being aware of legislative procedures will help you to avoid any unpleasant or unwanted situations, especially on the customs control.
Depending on the type of the plant you are planning to ship, check whether it needs a phytosanitary certificate. European Union applies strict regulations to plants that are sent from outside of the EU. However, there are no legal requirements for additional sanitary check and certificates if the plant is grown and transported across the EU.
Small quantities of plants, trees, or plant products could be transported for non-industrial, non-commercial, or scientific purposes.
If you need more information about shipping outdoor, indoor, or potted plants with courier services, contact our experienced logistics experts.
Take into consideration these guidelines when shipping plants. Nevertheless, please consider that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. In case you decide to ship plants, Eurosender will not be held responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.