How to pack lamps for shipping
Whether you own an online shop selling lamps and lampshades to customers around Europe or moving to another country and need to ship lamps, shades or chandeliers, it is important to follow certain packing steps. Maybe at first it seems a very tricky task, but our logistics specialists have put together some guidelines to make packing lamps and lampshades an easy task.
How to order a shipping service with Eurosender?
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will be provided with the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to pack a lamp for shipping.
How to ship lamps
When it comes to shipping lamps, lampshades or chandeliers it is important to know that these items are fragile and can easily break if not packed properly. The shipping insurance cannot cover fragile items such as lamps! The first step for shipping lampshades and lamps is to choose the right courier service. You should keep in mind the following when using door-to-door shipping services with Eurosender:
- In order to choose the right service, check the dimensions and the weight of your parcel. You can use our size calculator below to help you.
- Make sure to print the label if necessary. In most cases, the courier will bring the label and put it on the package, but this is not the case in Poland, Spain and Sweden.
- If by any chance you are planning to leave the pick-up address in the near future, make sure you place the order at least 2 days before your departure.
Check which service to choose
Packing materials for shipping lamps and lampshades
It is crucial to choose proper packing materials for the lamps you ship. You will need the following, which you can find in most of the stationary shops or hardware stores:
- Cardboard boxes – they have to be sturdy enough, without dents, holes or tears. You can use a new or used one, which you can get from your local supermarket. Make sure they are not too big or too small.
- Cushioning materials – like packing peanuts, foam, wrapping paper, bubble wrap to protect and secure fragile parts.
- Polystyrene sheets – for extra protection of your shipment.
- Adhesive tape and scissors – to secure the package and cut the materials.
How to pack lamps and lampshades for shipping
If you put some effort into packing lamps, lampshades or chandeliers, it should not be difficult and your items should be safe during transport. We have put together some simple steps for you to follow in order to secure your shipment:
- Disassemble the lamp and wrap each part separately. Try to disassemble as many parts of the lamp as you possibly can and wrap them in a foam, wrapping paper or bubble wrap. Remove the light bulb. Wrap also the electric cord. Secure the wrapping materials with tape.
- Put the items in the box. First, fill the box with some cushioning materials. Place the wrapped items in the box and fill the empty space with more cushioning materials. You can use packing peanuts or crumpled paper. Make sure that the items do not move. You can check this by closing and slightly shaking the box.
- Pack the lampshades in a separate box. Fill the bottom of the box with packing peanuts or crumpled paper. Put the shades in the box in the upright position and fill the empty spaces with more packing peanuts or crumpled paper.
- Close the boxes and seal them. Use adhesive tape to close the box.
- If you want you can use the double box technique for extra safety. Use polystyrene sheets and cut them to fit all sides of the boxes with your items. Secure them with tape. Take an empty box which is slightly bigger than your first box and place the smaller box into a larger one. Repeat the procedure with the second box.
- Close the boxes and label them (if needed). Use adhesive tape to secure the boxes and add a shipping label if needed. You can also add warnings such as “Fragile” or “Handle with care”, but this should never replace the proper packaging. The courier provider is not obliged to take such labeling into consideration.
If you are moving abroad and need to ship lamps and other fragile items, simply check our dedicated page about how to ship fragile items.
We recommend you to keep the original invoice about the purchase. It can serve as the proof of the value of lamps in case you start a claim procedure following your shipment.
Do you still have questions on how to ship lamps or the ordering process? Do not hesitate to contact our customer support team and they will be more than happy to help you.
Take into consideration these guidelines when shipping lamps and lampshades. Nevertheless, please consider that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. In case you decide to ship a lamp, lampshade or other lighting, Eurosender will not be held responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.