How to ship a bottle of whiskey throughout Europe
Scottish, Irish or even Canadian, lots of people enjoy the unique experience of drinking whiskey. The variety of tastes and blends makes this drink one of the most popular drinks in the world. And because some people may like to buy a special bottle of whiskey during their holidays, or send a unique blend to a friend for a special occasion, they may find themselves asking how to ship a bottle of whiskey? At Eurosender we want to make sure that you have all the tools to ship a bottle of whiskey safely and therefore we created some guidelines and instructions with everything you need to know about how to pack and ship a bottle of whiskey for shipping by courier.
Shipping with Eurosender is simple, quick and reliable. All you have to do is:
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will be provided with the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to pack your items for shipping.
How can I ship a bottle of whiskey with Eurosender?
Get informed on how to pack and ship whiskey in a few minutes. Before you start booking the service at Eurosender and begin to pack your bottle(s) of whiskey, take a look at the following tips on how to ship whiskey at Eurosender:
- To find out the exact price of your shipment, it is fundamental to determine the dimensions and weight of the package. To do this, you can make use of our free Dimensions tracker, so that you will know the exact measurements of your shipment.
Check which service to choose
- When shipping from Sweden, Spain and Poland or, be aware that you must print and attach the label to the package by yourself. In all other European countries, this is done for you.
- When you are planning to go on holiday or leave the delivery address for any other reason, please make sure that you place the order at least two days prior to your departure. You could also decide to have someone else be present at the delivery address while you are away.
If you have any questions regarding the booking process or your shipment, feel free to contact our customer support team.
Why shipping with Eurosender?
- Eurosender has a 24-hour delivery service for national deliveries;
- Free second delivery is provided in most cases;
- The friendly Eurosender Customer Support team provides 15 languages;
- If needed, we can provide you with proof of delivery.
How to pack and ship whiskey
Shipping a bottle of whiskey may be a little tricky since glass bottles are fragile and in case that damage occurs to the parcel, also other parcels may get damaged. However, it is possible to safely send a bottle of whiskey internationally. With the right packaging materials and methods, you can prevent damage and be confident that your alcohol is well-protected. This gives you ease of mind when you want to send a bottle of whiskey as a gift for example.
See the packaging materials below on how to ship whiskey:
- Three cardboard boxes of consecutive size. You can most likely buy them at your local hardware store, stationary or post office. For an environmentally and budget-friendly solution, you can also use second-hand boxes from any shop or supermarket. In this case, check if the boxes have any damage such as dents, holes, tears or missing edges. The boxes should be strong enough to carry the weight when you send a bottle of whiskey.
- Extra Cardboard carton for between the bottles. When shipping more than one bottle of whiskey, you must use cardboard to separate the bottles in the box. This is necessary because otherwise, they could damage each other.
- Wrapping and cushioning materials. Bubble wrap is the most suitable wrapping material to wrap your bottle(s) of whiskey. However, you may not have any bubble wrap at home. Don’t worry, it’s also perfectly fine to use any of the following materials to pack your bottle: packaging peanuts, (news)papers, or other materials that are used for protecting fragile products. If you have any doubts, you can find more info on cushioning here.
- Plastic bags to give extra protection to your bottle(s) of whiskey. This prevents leaking to other parcels when the bottle breaks during transport. It is highly recommended to use a Ziplock bag or any other bag that can be completely closed so that the liquid cannot leave the packaging.
- Adhesive tape: necessary to seal and cover the shipment. Make sure that you have enough of it. When sending whiskey as a gift, make sure that you don’t damage or spoil the label with the tape as you want it to be in perfect condition.
- Scissors to cut the materials such as bubble wrap and tape.
Tips for packing whiskey for shipping
When you pack your shipment correctly and with care, you can prevent your parcel from breaking and therefore run into additional costs. Follow the guideline below to make sure that your whiskey is shipped safely:
- Wrap the whiskey bottle(s). Put the bottle(s) in a closed plastic bag (preferably a Ziplock bag) to prevent damaging other parcels in case your bottle(s) break. All the materials described before can be used but it is best to use bubble wrap. Be sure that you tape everything as good as possible so that nothing escapes the packaging in case of damage.
- Put the bottle(s) in the first (smallest) box. When shipping more than one bottle of whiskey, you will have to separate the bottles with cardboard so that they don’t damage each other. Then fill up the box with the cushioning materials described before, close the box and seal it with tape so that nothing can escape from it.
- Put the first (smallest) box into the second one. After placing the first box in the second box, just can repeat the same procedure as applied before, i.e. you stuff up the box with cushioning material and seal it with tape so that it is completely closed.
- Secure the second box. You can use polystyrene sheets or bubble wrap to protect all the sides of the second cardboard box. This extra layer of protection prevents it from damage during transport. After finishing this, you tape the sheets to box and make sure that nothing is sticking out.
- Insert everything in the third box. Now you put the second box in the third (biggest) box and fill the empty space around the box with cushioning materials. To make sure that everything is decently packed, you can shake the box a bit to see if any extra material is needed.
- Seal and label the box. (labelling is only needed in Spain, Poland and Sweden) Close the box and check that there isn’t anything sticking out. Finally, you wrap the box with tape for the last time. The tape is the last layer of protection, so make sure you use enough of it. If needed (in ES, PL and SE), print the label and attach it.
You can also add warnings like “Fragile” or “Handle with care” on the top of your whiskey packaging. However even though this might increase the chances that the package will be handled with care, bear in mind that the courier is not obliged to take this warning into consideration when handling your shipment.
Shipping alcohol in Europe
In the shipping world, liquids are considered as dangerous goods and are, therefore, non-recommended to ship, which means that if such packages are not handled with care, they can cause harm in transit. However, shipping alcoholic beverages is still possible, but you will be doing it at your own responsibility. That’s why you have to really take care of how to properly package wine for shipping to ensure maximum security during transit.
When it comes to alcohol shipping in Europe, most courier companies do not allow the transport of alcoholic beverages. However, there are still some companies that allow shipping alcohol under specific circumstances. Pay attention that there is a big difference between travelling with alcohol in Europe and shipping alcohol in Europe via a courier company.
There are two factors that shippers should take into consideration when deciding whether they can ship alcohol or not:
- The restrictions and prohibitions of each courier company.
- The import restrictions and prohibitions of the country they send alcohol to.
At the same time, each European country has its own rules and regulations regarding alcohol shipping. Each country’s import regulations are set by the local government and they are binding by law. We would, therefore, recommend you to search for the rules that apply in the pick-up and delivery countries of your shipment. To give an example, in general, any kind of alcohol cannot be shipped to Great Britain and Ireland.
At this point, we should clarify that, although alcohol shipping is not recommended, many people ship bottles of wine, champagne, whiskey and other alcoholic beverages on a daily basis. Being informed about each country’s import rules and learn how to pack parcels containing liquids is essential before sending alcohol in Europe.
Reasons for packing whiskey for shipping
Lots of people enjoy the unique experience of drinking whiskey. That is why many of us would like to ship a bottle of whiskey to their loved ones for different reasons, which may include:
- Gifts: What says more that you love someone than a good old bottle of whiskey? Whether it is a birthday, wedding anniversary or any other celebration, your friends and loved ones will be excited to receive such a wonderful gift as a bottle of whiskey. But you might also want to surprise your business contacts with an amazing present every now and then.
- Availability: Many kinds of whiskey are made throughout all corners of the world. So, it could easily happen that your favourite brand is not sold in your local shop. Now you don’t have to worry about that anymore, you can just ship your whiskey right to your front door.
- Investment: Nowadays people invest in whiskey as they do in real estate, art or the stock market. As the value of a good bottle of whiskey increases over time, you will not only get back the money you spent on shipping, but you will also make a profit when you decide to sell your whiskey.
- Cooking: What do you do when you love cooking and have found the best recipe ever, but it asks for that particular whiskey that is not sold where you live? You could drive all over Europe to find it, but of course, it would be much easier to have it delivered to your door with Eurosender.
If we have not answered all of your questions regarding shipping whiskey as a gift, do not hesitate to contact us. Give us a call or write an e-mail and we’ll get back to you with all the information you need for easy and pleasant shipping.
Take into consideration these guidelines when shipping alcohol in Europe. Nevertheless, please consider that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. In case you decide to ship alcohol, Eurosender will not be held responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.