How to pack and ship wine bottles by mail or courier
Are you a business owner looking for the best way to ship wine to your customers and partners internationally? Or would you like to send a bottle of wine as a gift to your friends and family? Find here the best logistics solutions for shipping wine by courier within Europe or abroad. Check how to properly pack a bottle of wine to ensure safe transit and get the best wine courier service to send it.
Wine shipping solutions for business owners
Are you a producer or a distributor looking for the best shipping quotes on wine delivery? Do you need a reliable logistics service to ship wine internationally to your customers or business partners? Enrol in Eurosender platform and create your own logistics department right now. At no additional cost, you get immediate access to a personalised dashboard that will empower your company to increase and expand your business globally.
How to send wine bottles internationally with a courier company?
When sending wine bottles within Europe or abroad, you can choose between different shipping services to better match your needs.
How to pack wine bottles for shipping internationally
For businesses shipping wine using the pallet delivery service, we suggest following the packaging steps below:
- Place some liner paper on the pallet and place the boxes containing the wine bottles on it.
- Add liner paper between each layer you stack, to decrease friction and spread the weight evenly.
- Fix the shipment to the pallet with straps and secure it with stretch foil or bubble wrap. Attach the shipping label.
Shipping wine with a courier may seem a little tricky. However, proper wine packaging when sending a few bottles among other belongings in an ordinary package assures a safe delivery and is neither impossible nor uncommon.
- Wrap the bottles individually with bubble wrap to protect your bottles during the transit. You can also place each wine bottle in a leak-proof plastic bag to protect your package in case of spillage.
- Put the wine bottles into a carton box. Fill any empty space left with cushioning material.
- Close and seal the shipping box. Attach the label if needed. You can also add a sign “Fragile” or “Handle with care” on the top of your wine packaging.
Regulations on shipping wine internationally by courier
Having wine delivered by mail or courier from online stores is perfectly legal. However, when it comes to individuals wanting to ship wine, most courier companies include alcoholic drinks on the list of restricted items to ship. Still, many people decide to ship properly packaged wine bottles internationally.
Depending on the countries of collection and delivery different rules may apply. Generally, freight shipments of wine bottles done by licensed companies, are perfectly legal and are even covered by CMR insurance.
Get an instant quote for your shipment
Many people ship wine internationally on a daily basis and here’s why
- Buy wine abroad – When travelling to France, Italy, Spain or another country famous for its wines, you may want to send a bottle home or as a souvenir. Ship a bottle of wine from France to the UK, from Portugal to the USA or to any other destination with Eurosender.
- Sell wine online. E-commerces selling wine online and distributors shipping wine to resellers use logistics services every day to send bottles of wine to their customers.
- Send a bottle of wine as a gift. Wine can be a great gift to a friend or a relative. Ship wine bottles in the EU or abroad using our door-to-door delivery services.
FAQs on wine shipping within Europe and internationally
Do people still ship wine by mail?
When travelling to France, Italy, Spain or another country famous for its wines, it is difficult to resist the temptation of buying a bottle of tasty wine. Even though wine is not recommended for shipping by courier companies, many people still send bottles of wine every day at their own risk. Proper packaging wine bottles for shipping ensures maximum safety during transit.
Is shipping alcohol from Europe to the USA legal?
Licensed companies that have a special shipping contract with a courier company may legally ship wine internationally. Shipping alcohol, including wine, from EU countries or the United Kingdom to the USA is not allowed for private individuals.
Does insurance apply when shipping wine by mail or courier?
Businesses shipping wine internationally as freight are covered by the CMR insurance and may purchase additional insurance directly from the carrier. Private individuals and companies may ship wine at their own risk via standard service. In this case, the shipment will not be covered by insurance in case of damage.
Take into consideration these guidelines when organising for wine delivery. Nevertheless, please consider that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. In case you decide to send a bottle of wine, Eurosender will not be held responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.