When traveling around the world, you might like to visit some famous wine regions, such as in France, Italy, Argentina or New Zealand. You might also want to buy some wine bottles to send as gifts to your friends and family or simply to enjoy them yourself back home. In this case, you might find yourself asking how to properly pack a bottle of wine to ensure safe transit and what is the best wine courier service to send it?
Well, there are certainly some things you have to take into consideration when deciding on shipping a bottle of wine by mail or courier service. Before shipping your wine, make sure you understand certain legal limitations and restrictions that should be taken into account when sending wine or any other alcohol in Europe. Besides this, shipping food products can be a rather complicated task as such items often require temperature-controlled transport and warehousing. This, however, is something that standard courier services do not include.
Once you decide to ship a bottle of wine to your friends and family by post or courier service, you will only have to pack it properly for shipping. But do not worry, we have compiled these packing guidelines to ease the process of packing in order for you to a send wine gift to your friends and family.
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will be provided with the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to package wine for shipping.
Your only task is to pack your shipment correctly and book the service on our website. We will take care of everything else and organize the delivery with the selected courier service provider. Your parcel will be collected from your chosen address and delivered to the destination of your choice.
If you are not exactly sure how to send a bottle of wine or what are the exact rules and guidelines on wine shipping, do not hesitate to contact our friendly customer service specialists. They will provide you with the necessary information.
Shipping wine requires some care and planning as the shipping process can have an effect on its quality. Especially when exposed to changes in temperature.
Many food products are unsuitable for standard courier services due to the fact that they need special transport conditions. A suspicious smell coming from a package should be enough for the courier staff to check the parcel thoroughly and return it to the shipper. This is why it is crucial that you choose proper packaging as well as the best wine courier service to carry out the delivery.
We prepared these simple guidelines to help you properly pack and send a bottle of wine safely.
Shipping alcohol in Europe
In the shipping world liquids are considered as dangerous goods, and are, therefore, non-recommended to ship, which means that if such packages are not handled with care, they can cause harm in transit and added costs to you. However, shipping alcoholic beverages is still possible, but you will be doing it at your own responsibility. That’s why you have to really take care of how to properly package wine for shipping to ensure maximum security during transit.
When it comes to alcohol shipping in Europe, most courier companies do not allow the transport of alcoholic beverages. However, there are still some companies that allow shipping alcohol under specific circumstances. Pay attention that there is a big difference between travelling with alcohol in Europe and shipping alcohol in Europe via a courier company.
There are two factors that shippers should take into consideration when deciding whether they can ship alcohol or not:
At the same time, each European country has its own rules and regulations regarding alcohol shipping. Each country’s import regulations are set by the local government and they are binding by law. We would, therefore, recommend you to search for the rules that apply in the pick-up and delivery countries of your shipment. To give an example, in general, any kind of alcohol cannot be shipped to Great Britain and Ireland.
At this point, we should clarify that, although alcohol shipping is not recommended, many people ship bottles of wine, champagne, whiskey and other alcoholic beverages on a daily basis. Being informed about each country’s import rules and learn how to pack parcels containing liquids is essential before sending alcohol in Europe.
Proper wine packaging is of crucial importance in order for your parcel to safely arrive at the chosen destination. It ensures that the quality of wine does not get affected while also preventing the bottles from getting damaged. The packaging materials needed for pack bottles for wine delivery are the following:
1. Three cardboard boxes of various sizes – the boxes you are planning to use need to be sturdy and without any dents in order to handle heavy weight. If you cannot find a new box, you can also get used ones at your local supermarket. However, you need to check their quality and state before using them for your shipment.
2. Cardboard carton – which will act as a platform for the bottles of wine. You will use the carton to separate the wine bottles in order to prevent friction between bottles or even one bottle crashing into another during transit.
3. Wrapping material – bubble wrap is ideal for protecting the glass bottles. It can be bought at any stationery or hardware store. You can also use paper, carton or any other material instead.
4. Polystyrene – it should be thick enough to secure and keep bottles in place.
5. Adhesive tape – needed for sealing and thoroughly covering the shipment.
6. Scissors – for cutting the cardboard box and/or other materials into suitable sizes.
Shipping wine by using standard shipping services can be a little problematic, especially since the packages are not transported in a temperature-controlled environment. But despite this, carefully securing a few bottles in an ordinary package and sending them away is neither impossible nor uncommon. In case you are sending a small number of bottles of wine and plan to send them using standard courier services, you just need to make sure that you pack them properly.
1. Wrap the bottles. To ensure maximum protection, wrap each bottle individually. For this, you can use bubble wrap, tissue paper, carton or any other material that will effectively protect your bottles against shocks that they might encounter during the transit and handling. You might also want to wrap each bottle in a plastic bag, which will protect your package as well as other shipments in case of spillage.
2. Put the bottles into a small carton box. When the bottles are wrapped and protected, put them into a smaller box. Make sure you separate the bottles from one another using cardboard dividers. You can make these at home. Then use additional cushioning material to fill any empty spaces left and seal the box.
3. Place the smaller box into a larger one. Put a sealed smaller box into a larger one. Again, fill any empty spaces using cushioning materials, then secure the boxes together and seal them with tape.
4. Protect the box containing the smaller one. Take some sheets of polystyrene and cut them so they fit all the sides of the bigger cardboard box. This structure will act as an additional layer of protection against any shocks your bottles of wine might encounter during transportation. Secure these sheets to each side of the box with tape.
5. Put everything into the third box. Fill any empty space left with cushioning material. Cover the smaller inner box with more layers of polystyrene before closing and sealing the third box.
6. Seal the biggest box and label it (if needed). Close the box and seal all the flaps and corners with tape. Be generous since wine bottles are heavy and you do not want them to fall out of the box. Moreover, you can also add a sign “Fragile” or “Handle with care” on the top of your wine packaging. Even though the courier is not required to take this warning into consideration when handling your shipment, the sign can still act as an indication of your parcel’s content.
There are many reasons why our customers decided to ship a bottle of wine using a courier service. These were their most frequent ones:
In case you have any additional concerns regarding wine delivery or if you are still not sure how to send wine gift safely, you can always turn to our customer support team and they will be more than happy to help you.
Shipping liquids is not recommended by the majority of courier service providers. However, by choosing the right packaging materials and securing the bottles well, you will avoid any damages during transportation and ensure safe delivery.
Take into consideration these guidelines when deciding for wine delivery. Nevertheless, please consider that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. In case you decide to send a bottle of wine, Eurosender will not be held responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.