Ship a drone internationally
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV’s), also known as drones, have become immensely popular over the past few years. With a wide range of drones now available for professional and amateur use, prices have also dropped. Many people like to take their drones when they are travelling so that they can make astounding pictures and videos. Unfortunately, this may lead to some problems. Excess baggage is expensive , and some airline companies might refuse to take your drone. However, there is a better and cheaper solution. When you ship your drone with Eurosender, you can be sure that we find the cheapest and most reliable courier company for you. The only thing you have to do is pack your drone and we will take care of all other details. In our guide on how to pack and ship a drone abroad, you will find the instructions on how to pack a drone for shipping, which materials you need, how to ship a used drone and much more.
Get informed on how to ship a drone in a few simple steps.
Shipping with Eurosender is simple, quick and reliable. All you have to do is:
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will be provided with the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to pack your items for shipping.
Make sure to place an order at least two days prior to the pick-up date and have someone at the address to give the package to the courier.
Check the dimensions and weight of your parcel in the shipment size checker below. If it is too big, too heavy or oddly shaped, ask for an individual offer.
General tips for when you ship a drone abroad
When shipping items with Eurosender, there are some basic guidelines that you have to follow. Don’t worry, they are not complicated as you can see below.
- When you want to ship a drone internationally, it is fundamental that you know the dimensions of your package. You can measure these with our free Size Dimensions Tracker. You will automatically see in which category your shipment belongs.
Check which service to choose
- Courier companies in most countries will print and attach the label for you. But be aware, when the pick-up address is in Sweden, Spain or Poland, you will have to print and attach this by yourself.
- When you are going on holiday and you are having your drone picked up for shipment, make sure that you place the order 2 working days before your departure date. This way you can avoid problems with the pick-up.
- Standard insurance of up to €200 is included for all items, but you can add additional insurance at low rates. Want to know more? Check our special insurance guide!
With the packing materials described here, you can be confident when you ship a drone internationally. You can use both new and second-hand material but be sure that they are not damaged in any way.
- Cardboard box: The box should be sturdy and big enough.
- Bubble wrap: Use the thinner kind of bubble wrap as all details of the drone are rather small.
- Cushioning material: Use packing peanuts or other material such as a blanket, pillow, shredded paper or pieces of cardboard.
- Adhesive tape: Use this to seal the box.
- Scissors or Stanley knife: Use this to cut and size that materials.
How to pack a drone for shipping
The question: How to pack and ship a drone? Is easily solved with the instructions below from our logistic experts. If you still have the original box from when you purchased the drone, complete with polystyrene, you can use this box. Simply seal it and it will be ready for shipment. Keep in mind that there are many small details in drones such as propellers, action cameras, flight controller and motors. These parts have to be properly protected and packed individually.
For electronic devices: the customer needs its original invoice and the item has to be shipped in its original packaging for the additional insurance to be valid.
- Disassemble: The first thing you want to do, when you ship a drone abroad, is to disassemble all outer parts. This is an easy way to avoid damage to your shipment. Be careful not to lose any screws or small details as they can be tiny. Depending on the number of details, you can decide if you put them in separate bags or all together in one bag. For the bigger parts, such as the propeller and the camera, we recommend wrapping them in bubble wrap for better protection.
- Wrap the disassembled drone in bubble wrap: Do this at least several times and then seal it with tape.
- Take the box: Fill the bottom with cushioning material, for example packing peanuts or shredded paper.
- Place the bubble–wrapped drone in the box: After that add some more cushioning material on top of that.
- Place the bag with details in the box: Make sure that there is enough cushioning material between the bubble wrapped drone and the bag with details.
- Fill up the box with cushioning material and close the box: Pick the box up and shake it a bit to check if something moves.
- Seal the box with tape: When the pick-up address is Poland, Spain or Sweden, don’t forget to print and attach the label.
Reasons why people ship a drone abroad
At Eurosender we frequently get requests for shipping drones. Now that you know how to pack a drone for shipping, let’s take a look at the reasons people have when they ship a drone abroad.
- Work: Nowadays many photographers, journalists, video bloggers and others use drones for work-related activities. Therefore, they often need to ship a drone abroad. Whether you are an individual client, or you are looking for transport for your business, Eurosender finds you the easiest and cheapest solution.
- Shipping a used drone: With the widespread use of drones nowadays, there are many options to buy a second-hand drone. That’s the reason we often get the question: how to ship a used drone? When shipping a used drone, make sure that you take pictures of the drone and all its details before you pack it. This way you can easily avoid disputes with the buyer about damage when shipping a used drone
- Travel: Making photo and videos with your drone on holiday gives a unique experience to the things you have experienced. You can even picture things that are not visible from the ground. With Eurosender you can cheaply ship your drone internationally to your holiday destination.
- Present: No matter near or far, you will surprise anyone when you send them a drone for their birthday or any other celebration. Unfortunately, not every shop delivers abroad and on online marketplaces the delivery costs often have to be paid by the buyer. Eurosender will help you find the best deal among many well-known courier companies such as DHL, GLS and DB Schenker when you ship a drone abroad.
People who send drones with Eurosender, also read the following guides:
When sending drones overseas, it is important to note that lithium batteries are forbidden for any items transported by air. For international shipments to and from Greece sent through Eurosender, courier services providers will not transport batteries or any type of electronic device including these batteries of drones. When placing an order, check that the transport of your drone will be done by road, in which case lithium batteries are allowed for shipping.
Take into consideration these guidelines when shipping drones. Nevertheless, please consider that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. In case you decide to ship a drone, Eurosender will not be held responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.
When you have any other questions about how to pack and ship a drone, feel free to contact our Customer Support by mail or telephone. They will be glad to further assist you.