How to ship real fur clothing abroad
Since the beginning of time, fur has embodied the humans’ need to adapt to cold climatic conditions. For our ancestors, wearing fur was a matter of survival. Thanks to the invention of heating and synthetic materials, the use of furs for clothing has lost its vital importance. Nevertheless, genuine and faux furs enjoy constant popularity worldwide. Many people order such clothes online, some of us travel to Greece to buy a much-coveted mink fur coat and stylish garments for a reasonable price, but have no space in our suitcase to transport it by plane. Hopefully, it’s possible to ship real fur clothing abroad. All you need is a good courier company and some basic guidelines on how to pack a fur coat for transport. With our platform, it will take you no more than a few clicks to send a natural or a faux fur coat internationally cheaply and safely!
How to send a natural or a faux fur coat internationally
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will be provided with the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to prepare your items for shipping.
So, you’ve bought a nice fur coat or jacket overseas, but are you travelling with low-cost airlines? Obviously, you will not be able to take a lot of luggage with you. No need to say that everyone wants to avoid excess baggage fees. In many cases, it will be cheaper and safer to opt for shipping fur items by courier.
On this page, we will also explain how to prepare and pack a fur coat for transport.
Here are some things to consider if you need to send a natural or a faux fur coat internationally :
- Measure your package properly before booking the service. Use the size checking tool below to determine the best shipping service for this type of items. Depending on the size of your package, it will be a standard shipment or a pallet (if you ship several large packages at a time). Since genuine fur products are considered as luxury goods, it will be reasonable to opt for an individual offer.
Check your parcel dimensions
- Before shipping fur items by courier, check if you need to print a label. In most countries, it will be done by the delivery company. However, there are some exceptions. If you’ve decided to send a natural or a faux fur coat internationally using our platform, you will get all the necessary information by email.
- If you intend to ship real fur clothing abroad, make sure you book the delivery service at least 2 business days before the planned pick-up date. If you can’t ensure your presence at the pick-up address, ask someone else to hand over your package to the driver.
- In order to send a natural or a faux fur coat internationally during summer or before winter holidays, we recommend booking delivery services in advance to be able to avoid high season delays.
If you have any questions about the best way to ship real fur clothing abroad, as well as the correct way to pack a fur coat for transport, don’t hesitate to ask our multilingual customer support team. Our logistics experts will be happy to help you.
How to send a faux fur coat internationally?
With the advent of the digital age, you can order everything on the Internet. You’ll have a wide choice of hats, vests, jackets and accessories made of genuine or fake fur in online stores. Faux fur products are gaining popularity in the context of animal protection campaigns, which are supported by many influential designers and luxury fashion brands, such as Michael Kors, Jimmy Choo, Gucci, Giorgio Armani, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein and many others, as well as a large number of mass-market retailers (Tommy Hilfiger, Zara, Bershka, Massimo Dutti, H & M …).
If you wish to send a faux fur coat, jacket or accessory internationally or domestically, you only have to pack your items properly for transport, and Eurosender will take care of the rest. We will make all the necessary arrangements with the courier company on your behalf and will guide you through the packaging and shipping processes.
Let’s have a look at the list of materials you’ll need to ship real fur clothing abroad:
- Cardboard box or suitcase – to ensure secure valuables transportation.
- Garment bag – to provide optimal protection for your coat/jacket during transit. Attention! Never use plastic bags as it’s not a breathable material. Synthetic packaging is to be avoided. A cotton bag would be an ideal choice.
- Crumpled paper or other cushioning materials – to fill in the empty spaces inside the box/suitcase.
- Adhesive tape – to secure the packaging and seal the box.
How to prepare a fur coat for shipping
When packing a natural fur item, keep in mind that it fears moisture, light and insects, unlike faux furs that can suffer only from friction. Of course, the optimal way to ship a mink (fox, rabbit, etc.) fur coat would be to transport it vertically on a hanger. When shipping fur items by courier, be careful not to place any heavy objects on your coat.
So, how can you pack a fur coat for transport? Here’s the optimal scheme:
- Make sure that the fur coat is not wet. This goes both for natural and fake fur clothes. If your items have been exposed to moisture, shake them and hang them (avoid using metal hangers) in a well-ventilated room to let them dry completely. Avoid placing fur clothing near radiators, as they can damage your items.
- Fold your coat carefully without pressing too hard. To avoid wrinkles, fill the sleeves with crumpled paper. Turn the shoulders inside out without touching the sleeves. If it’s a long coat, fold it in half lengthwise.
- Now you can put your coat in a cotton bag.
- Fill in all the empty spaces inside the box with padding materials (packing peanuts, crumpled paper). If you ship your coat in a suitcase, you can surround it by other clothes to ensure extra padding.
- If you’re using a suitcase to send a natural fur coat internationally, close it and wrap it in plastic foil.
- If you’re using a cardboard box to ship real fur clothing abroad, seal the box with adhesive tape. Apply tape across all seams on the top and bottom parts of the box to secure it. You can also label the package with stickers saying “Fragile” or “Handle with care”. However, such warnings cannot guarantee that a package will be treated with special care, which is why they can never substitute the correct packaging methods and adequate protection.
Congratulations! Now you’ve properly packed your fur coat for transport. Thus, it’s ready to be safely shipped!
What makes people ship real fur clothing abroad?
Here are the most popular reasons for shipping fur items by courier:
- Online shopping. The online stores offer a large selection of genuine and faux fur items.
- Shopping abroad. Some travellers enjoy visiting popular luxury outlets during their trips to Paris, Milan, London, Los Angeles or New York to buy outfits from world-famous fashion designers. Others go to Greece and Italy to buy garments made of this noble material. Interestingly, tourists from Eastern European countries love to go hunting for fur coats to Athens, Kastoria (the Greek fur capital) or to Crete. According to the data published by the Kastoria Chamber of Commerce, Greece comes in second in the world in terms of fur production, thanks to an exceptional price/quality ratio. Some Greek regions rely on more than 400 years of fur trade experience. On the other hand, in France, one can find magnificent faux fur haute couture creations.
- Purchasing a second-hand fur coat. Did you know that the lifespan of some types of fur exceeds 50 years, the average being between 25 and 40 years? Moreover, tailor-made accessories of all kinds (hats, mittens, cushions, ornaments for shoes and even decorations for your smartphone case) are a nice way of recycling an old fur coat.
- Buying old and rare furs at auction. Among our clients, there are collectors claiming that some well-maintained fur items can last more than 100 years, provided they are treated with the necessary care.
- Remodelling a fur coat. Given the extremely long lifespan of clothes made of this noble material, many people want to have their garments restyled. Remodelling of outdated fur clothing is an extremely popular service. However, finding a specialized workshop may be a real challenge. It often happens that our customers find a good workshop is in another city or even in another country. In such cases, shipping fur items by courier to a reputable workshop is the best possible option.
- Moving houses. Those who need to carry their belongings to a new address sometimes lack information on how to pack a fur coat for transport, as they’re planning to send it with other items and furniture. If this is your case, no worries, Eurosender is here to make life easier for you. By following our packaging tips, you’ll find it easy to send a natural or a faux fur coat internationally.
Whether you are a traveller having decided to buy a luxury outfit, an online shopper or the owner of a ready-to-wear store, by choosing our platform to ship real fur clothing domestically and abroad, you will always get the best price offer, regardless of the frequency and size of your shipments. If you’re interested in shipping fur items by courier, Eurosender will suggest you a simple, fast and secure option at the lowest price.
When shipping fur items by courier across the country or abroad, you must understand that luxury goods are considered as restricted items, which implies that the insurance will not apply. This does not mean that you cannot ship them. Correct packaging will minimize potential risks. Our clients who have already sent a natural fur coat internationally (outside the EU) for their personal use strongly recommend cutting the labels before shipping. This will help you avoid additional charges at customs.
However, if you send a faux fur coat internationally, your parcel will be insured up to 200 EUR, provided that you have kept the original invoice.
If you have any questions about the best way to ship fur garments or if you need more tips on how to pack a fur coat for transport, do not hesitate to contact our customer support team. Our logistics experts will gladly answer them.
Take these guidelines into consideration when shipping fur items by courier. Nevertheless, please bear in mind that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. In case you decide to ship real fur clothing abroad using our platform, Eurosender will not be responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.