Cheap shipping to an island, what does that mean?
Whether you are on holiday on Sicily, or you are enjoying a secluded life on the island of Frösö in Sweden, shipping to an island may raise some questions. Even though this is often just as easy as to any other address, there are some exceptions. For example, when the island is very remote or when there are only a few towns on the island. And what about customs clearance for island shipping? Also, the means of transport and the number of delivery days could differ. Whatever the reason may be, you don’t want your delivery to fail, just because you live on an island. So, let’s go through all the things you should be aware of when you are in search of cheap shipping to an island.
How to place an order with Eurosender?
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will be provided with the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to prepare your items for shipping.
Which things are different when shipping to an island?
Let’s take a look at some of the things that are different when it comes to courier service to an island, and how these things can have an effect on your shipment.
- Means of transport: Most standard deliveries go by van, but parcel collection from an island with a vehicle is not possible from every island. In that case, transport by air or by sea is necessary, and this may lead to higher costs.
- Customs: When the island is a country by itself as well (for example Cyprus or Malta) customs clearance is also something that can differ. Customs clearance for island shipping differs from shipping to the mainland.
- Pick-up and delivery days: Depending on the size of an island, there might or might not be courier depots. When this is not the case, usually with smaller islands, courier companies often only serve the area once or twice a week (for example, every Friday (morning). This means that your shipment will take more time and you should be home on this exact day to receive the delivery. This essential when you want to know how to effectively ship to an island.
- Price: Due to extra expenses because of transport, storage, or other surcharges that might be charged, rates for delivery to an island could be higher. However, when you book your shipment with Eurosender, you always see the final price after you select the pick-up and delivery address.
- Delays: Shipments could be delayed compared to a delivery to a regular address. Reasons for that are the means of transport (for example transport by ship may take longer than by truck), the weather (for instance the island can’t be reached due to severe weather conditions) or the number of delivery days on the island.
What are things to pay attention to when using a courier service to an island?
Besides the beforementioned differences when it comes to shipping to an island, there are also several things you should keep in mind when preparing your shipment to an island. Let’s quickly go over them and see what parcel collection from an island involves.
- Pick-up from an island: Eurosender is available worldwide, and we try to serve any town or city around the globe. Despite that, your location might not be served. Contact our customer service when you have questions about your parcel collection from an island.
- Shipping documents: Depending on the location of the island, you will have to prepare shipping documents for the customs clearance for island shipping. Usually, this is not necessary when you ship to countries within the EU. However, when you send items to an island that is part of the EU but which is not located in Europe (for example the Canary Islands), your shipment will still go through customs, as this island could be considered a territory outside the EU. Things that you may have to prepare so that customs authorities can quickly asses your shipment, include:
- Commercial invoices
- Purchase orders
- Certificates of origin/ declarations of responsibility
- Insurance: All shipments with Eurosender are covered with our standard insurance. However, you might feel more at ease with additional insurance for just a little extra.
- Packing: When your shipment has an island as the destination, it might be transferred several times. That is why your packaging has to be the cream of the crop. Our detailed packing instructions, complete with a brief video, guarantee the best protection for your package.
How to write the address when delivering to an island.
Like with any shipment, writing the address correctly is essential for a successful delivery. However, the address is one of the most frequent reasons for failed deliveries. That is why we have prepared an example address field with all the details. This way you can be sure that your address bar is impeccable.
Choose the country of pick-up/delivery.
- Name & Surname
Add the full name of the consignee.
Ex.: Alejandro Cuevas
Fill out the street name in full and the number.
Ex.: Carrer del General Balanzat 6
- Additional info – Optional
This area is not always taken into consideration by the courier, so avoid writing essential information here.
- Zip code
Add the zip code, please double check if it’s the right one.
Add the full name of the town or city.
Ex.: Sant Antoni de Portmany
- Phone number
Add the phone number, change the area code if needed.
Ex.: +34 20 1234 1234
What is the best service for cheap shipping to an island?
We often get questions about how to effectively ship to an island. Choosing the right service for your shipment helps you to easily save both time and money. Let’s take a look at the services Eurosender has to offer regarding courier service to an island and what you should pay attention to when preparing your package.
- Standard Shipping: When not exceeding the dimensions below, your package is suitable for standard shipping. Some items that are suitable for this service are wedding dresses, cosmetics or food supplements. When you have several things, it is good to know that you can send multiple packages in one order.
- Maximum weight of 40kg (30kg in some cases).
- A maximum length of 175 cm.
- Length (in cm) + 2x width (in cm) + 2x height (in cm) < 300 cm.
Check which service to choose
- Freight Service: Do you want to ship something bigger than the maximum dimensions for standard shipment? Then our Freights service is the right choice for you. The only thing you have to do is choose the right pallet, pack your items on the pallet, and place your order.
- Dedicated Van Delivery: Using this service means that a van is reserved for you that will only carry your shipment directly from pick-up to the point of delivery. Keep in mind that this service is only available when the island can be easily reached by car.
- Individual offer: Your item doesn’t match the services mentioned above? Don’t worry! Our logistics experts will be glad to provide you with an individual offer, ensuring that you have the most cost-effective way of shipping your items to an island of choice.
- Dedicated services: Different people and organizations have different wishes when it comes to shipping their items. No matter whether you are an individual, company, expat, student, intern or even an NGO, with Eurosender you can rest assured that you benefit from cheap shipping to an island.
When you need a parcel collection from an island and your island is not on our list, please contact us and we will inform you about the possibility of shipping to your location.