What you should know about cost-effective delivery to a remote area
Living in the countryside gives you the chance to enjoy both peace and quiet. Fewer people, greener surroundings and a slower pace of life. Despite all these benefits, there are also things that are a bit more complicated in a remote area. Roads might be in poor condition; signs could be absent, or your address may not be included in the GPS system that the courier company uses. To avoid having problems with deliveries to remote areas, you should first know what a remote area is.
A remote area is defined as a place that is not close to any larger city or any other point, where local depots of courier companies are located. Courier companies consider these areas difficult to reach, and therefore, additional costs may apply. Problems when shipping to a remote area is a possibility when shipping to these destinations:
- Ski resorts;
- Small towns and towns that are far away from the courier company’s hub.
How to place an order with Eurosender?
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will be provided with the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to prepare your items for shipping.
Important information when shipping to a remote area
In most cases, cheap transport to remote areas is not more complicated than shipping to an urban area, for example. However, to be sure that your delivery is successful, let’s take a look at several things you should keep in mind for cost-effective delivery to a remote area.
- What are examples of a remote area?
- Islands, ski resorts, suburbs, and small towns and sparsely inhabited places that are far away from the courier’s depot.
- What if I’m not sure if it is a remote area or not?
- You can check this online of the websites of courier companies. When you don’t have the info at hand, contact our customer service. They will then check whether you the address you want to ship to is considered a remote area by the courier companies we work with.
- Are there any surcharges for remote locations?
- Depending on the distance to the location of the depot of the courier company might add remote area surcharges. When you book your shipment with Eurosender, you always get the final price at once. We will also let you know if any surcharges apply, which depends on the courier company will provide the delivery of your package.
- Is it possible that the delivery is delayed when shipping to a remote area?
- Depending on the circumstances, this is possible. These could include weather conditions and scheduled delivery times in the area. Also, keep into consideration that deliveries in remote areas can be carried out not daily but only on certain days of the week. When you need more info about the delivery days in your area, contact the courier company or our customer service.
How can you avoid problems when shipping to a remote area?
The delivery is carried out by the courier company, but there are also several things you can do to avoid delays and surcharges. Follow the instructions below to keep your costs low and the delivery as fast as possible.
- Ship to a different location: Explore the possibilities of shipping your items to another location. A good example could be your workplace, as this is a place where people often spend a lot of time. This way, you avoid the pitfalls of delivery to remote areas, and you enjoy a speedy delivery at a place where you are present anyway. Keep in mind that when you ship to your workplace, you should also pay attention to the address details such as entrance, building and other and name of the consignee.
- Choose the right service for your shipment: At Eurosender you can opt for Standard Delivery, Freight Service or Dedicated Van Delivery. When your item(s) require special care have specific dimensions, feel free to contact our logistics experts for an individual offer. This way you can be sure that you have access to cheap transport to remote areas.
Check which service to choose
- Communication with the courier company: When shipping to a remote location, contact with the courier company is vital to make sure that your delivery is successful. You can always check the website of the courier company, but an even better idea is to contact our logistics experts to check if your location is remote, and if so which consequences it has for your package.
- Courier depot: Consider having your shipment sent to a courier depot. This way, you avoid remote are surcharges, and you can decide by yourself when you want to pick up your shipment. When choosing for this option you contact the courier company for the procedure for delivering to a depot. It is also good to know that Eurosender offers storage facilities at attractive prices.
How to write the address when delivering to a remote area
You would think that something essential as writing the address is not complicated, but it often causes problems when shipping to a remote area. These problems can be easily avoided when looking at the example below. In the table, you find comments on each line in the address bar.
Choose the country of pick-up/delivery.
Ex.: the Netherlands
- Name & Surname
Add the full name of the consignee.
Ex.: Bjorn Jansen
Fill out the street name in full and the number.
Ex.: Rembrandtstraat 45
- Additional info – Optional
This area is not always taken into consideration by the courier, so avoid writing essential information here.
- Zip code
Add the zip code, please double check if it’s the right one.
Ex.: 1008 DG
Add the full name of the town or city.
- Phone number
Add the phone number, change the area code if needed.
Ex.: +31 20 1234 1234
Shipping advice for individuals and businesses
Everyone wants a successful delivery that is organized quick, cheap and straightforward. Shipping with Eurosender is a combination of all these things. As we like to share our knowledge with our clients, here is some advice for both individuals and businesses for cost-effective delivery to a remote area.
- Shipping advice for individuals
- Day and time of the pick-up: For an optimal pick-up and delivery, always check when the courier company serves your area.
- Delays: Sometimes, delays can’t be avoided. These are some of the most frequent reasons for delays and things you can do to be aware of them.
- The weather: Check the weather forecast for extreme weather conditions such as storms, heavy snowfall, or floods.
- Traffic: When your courier is stuck in traffic, this will delay the delivery. Check your local traffic conditions on the day of delivery to see what the situation is on that specific day.
- Low volume of deliveries that go to the remote area: The number of deliveries for the area might be too low, and the courier company decides to hold off the delivery for some time.
- Shipping advice for businesses
- Planning: Shipping to remote locations usually takes longer than regular shipments. Keep this in mind when you plan your orders.
- Communication: Always keep your customer informed about their order. With our tracking system, you can track your package 24/7, and if you have any further questions, you can always contact our customer service. They will be glad to inform you about cheap transport to remote areas.
Have you read our article but are still wondering about your shipment? Perhaps the measurements are unusual or your shipments has other unique requirements? Then get in touch with our logistics experts that will provide you with an individual offer. This way you know that your experience the best delivery to a rural area for your items.
Send a me quote