How to ship olive oil
Shipping food products can be a rather complicated task as such items often require temperature-controlled transport. This, however, is something that standard courier services do not include. If you are thinking about shipping olive oil, there are certainly some things you have to take into consideration. Your primary concern should naturally be the packaging, which is crucial in ensuring maximum security during transit. In case you are wondering which olive oil packaging to use for safe transportation, we have prepared some simple guidelines for you.
*Liquids, including olive oil, belong in the prohibited and restricted items lists of most courier companies. However, people are shipping olive oil via courier on a daily base. The insurance does not cover any damages occurred while transporting restricted items. Shipping such packages is the sole responsibility of the customer.
How to place an order for shipping olive oil?
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will immediately receive the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to pack and ship olive oil.
After placing an order and preparing your shipment for the pick-up, you can relax as we will organize the delivery with one courier service provider. Your parcel will be collected from your chosen address and deliver it to the destination of your choice.
If you have more questions about how to ship olive oil or if you need advice about anything else, you can turn to our customer support team and you can be sure that they will answer you in a timely manner.
How to ship olive oil
Shipping olive oil requires some care and planning as the shipping process can have an effect on its quality. When exposed to light or changes in temperature, the oil can rapidly become rancid. This is why it is crucial that you choose proper olive oil packaging as well as the best courier service to carry out the delivery.
Here are some tips before booking shipping services with Eurosender:
- First check that the dimensions and weight of your parcel as the final price will depend on these two parameters. At Eurosender, the Shipment Size Checker is designed to guide you towards the right type of shipping service.
- If the pick-up country of your choice is either Poland, Sweden or Spain or if you chose “First possible pick-up time” service upon booking, you will have to print the label and put it on your parcel yourself. In other cases, the courier will do this for you.
- If you are not always present at the pick-up address or if you plan to leave the delivery location in the near future, make sure you place the order at least 2 days before your departure to avoid any complications.
Check the size of the box you are using to ship olive oil to find the right shipping service
Olive oil packaging materials
We cannot stress the importance of proper olive oil packaging enough. It ensures that the quality of the oil does not get affected while also preventing the bottles from getting damaged. The packaging materials needed for safe olive oil packaging are the following:
- Three cardboard boxes of various sizes – the boxes you are planning to use need to be sturdy and without any dents. If you cannot find a new box, you can also get used ones at your local supermarket. However, you need to check their quality and state before using them for your shipment.
- Cardboard carton – you will use the carton to separate the bottles of olive oil in order to prevent them from crashing into each other during transit.
- Wrapping material – bubble wrap is ideal for protecting the glass bottles. It can be bought at any stationery or hardware store.
- Polystyrene – it should be thick enough to secure and keep bottles in place.
- Adhesive tape – will be needed for sealing and thoroughly covering the shipment.
- Scissors – for cutting the cardboard box and/or other materials into suitable sizes.
How to prepare olive oil for transportation
Even though shipping olive oil by using standard shipping services can be a little problematic, especially as the packages are not transported in a temperature-controlled environment. The couriers are also not always obliged to handle such packages with care. But despite this, carefully securing a few bottles in an ordinary package and sending them away is neither impossible nor uncommon. In case you are sending a small number of olive oil bottles and plan to send them using standard courier services, you just need to make sure that you pack them properly.
Packing bottles of olive oil is practically the same as packing wine bottles.
- Find the right bottles. You can buy special bottles that can withstand low and high temperatures. These are perfect for shipping olive oil as they ensure constant temperatures and prevent the oil from turning rancid. If you cannot find special bottles, make sure that you at least use glass bottles instead of plastic ones. Used plastic bottles are not ideal for long transportation of olive oil as they cannot be sealed well and are not particularly damage-resistant. Closely follow our guidelines to ensure proper packaging.
- Wrap the bottles. To ensure maximum protection, wrap each bottle individually. For this, you can use bubble wrap, tissue paper, carton or any other material that will effectively protect your bottles against shocks that they might encounter during the transit and handling.
- Put the bottles into a small carton box. When the bottles are wrapped and protected, put them into a smaller box. Make sure you separate the bottles from one another using cardboard dividers. You can make these at home. Then use additional cushioning material to fill any empty spaces left and seal the box.
- Place the smaller box into a slightly bigger one. Put a sealed smaller box into a bit larger one. Again, fill any empty spaces using cushioning materials, then secure the boxes together and seal them with tape.
- Protect the box containing the smaller one. Take some sheets of polystyrene and cut them so they fit all the sides of the bigger cardboard box. This structure will act as an additional layer of protection against any shocks your olive oil might encounter during transportation. Secure these sheets to each side of the box with tape.
- Put everything into the third box. Fill any empty space left with cushioning material. Cover the smaller inner box with more layers of polystyrene before closing and sealing the third box.
- Seal the biggest box. Close the box and seal all the flaps and corners with tape. Moreover, you can also add a sign “Fragile” or “Handle with care” on the top of your olive oil packaging. Even though the courier is not required to take this warning into consideration when handling your shipment, the sign can still act as an indication of your parcel’s content.
The reasons for shipping olive oil internationally
When we asked the customers that had booked olive oil shipping with us about their reasons for sending the oil, these were their most frequent answers:
- Buying olive oil abroad. When traveling to Greece or to any Mediterranean country, it is difficult to resist the temptation of buying a nice bottle of olive oil. The customers traveling only with cabin baggage then had to find an appropriate solution for shipping olive oil internationally and found the services offered at our website the perfect fit.
- Selling olive oil. Some of our customers are also selling olive oil online and therefore frequently need to ship olive oil to their buyers. They agree that the shipping services offered through Eurosender come in very handy when they need the transportation.
- Sending olive oil as a gift. Expats or exchange students living abroad like to teach their friends and family back home about the culture or food in their new country of living. Therefore, they will frequently send samples to people they care about.
Shipping liquids is not recommended by the majority of courier service providers. However, by choosing the right packaging materials and securing the bottles well, you will avoid any damages during the transportation and ensure safe delivery.
In case you have any additional concerns regarding your olive oil transportation or if you are still not sure how to ship olive oil safely, you can always turn to our customer support team and they will be more than happy to help you.
Take into consideration these guidelines when shipping olive oil. Nevertheless, please consider that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. In case you decide to ship olive oil, Eurosender will not be held responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.