How to ship olive oil
Are you an individual willing to send a few local products to your family and friends or a company interested in shipping olive oil nationally and internationally to your clients? Get informed about how to ship olive oil safely and cost-effectively. Have a look at the regulations related to mailing different quantities of this product. Eurosender will provide you with the best shipping solution tailored to your needs.
ARE YOU A COMPANY SELLING OLIVE OIL?
Shipping services for businesses
Join thousands of businesses that have chosen Eurosender as their permanent shipping platform:
- Pay with user credits to save on every shipment;
- Optimise your logistics accounting by getting consolidated invoices;
- Have all relevant delivery information in one place.
HOW YOU CAN SHIP
Services you can use to send olive oil through courier
Choose one of the transportation methods that fit your needs.
How to pack olive oil
The general guidelines for packing olive oil are similar to those for shipping wine. Follow these simple steps:
- Choose the bottle that can withstand low and high temperatures.
- Surround it by absorbent pouches.
- Secure the bottle with bubble wrap.
- Put it in a plastic bag.
- Put the bottle into a small carton box.
- Use cushioning materials to fill empty spaces inside the box.
- Place the smaller box into a slightly bigger one.
- Fill the bigger box with cushioning materials.
- Seal the box.
- You can add warning labels saying “Fragile” or “Handle with care”.
- Prepare the pallet for large olive oil shipments. Stack the boxes one onto another.
- Fix them with a packaging rope and wrap them in plastic foil to make sure they cannot move on the pallet.
Get an instant quote for your shipment
FAQs about the best way to ship olive oil
Can you send olive oil in the mail?
Yes. According to the Universal Post Union regulations, securely closed packages up to 1L should be accepted.
Do people send olive oil through courier?
Yes. This product is regularly shipped through courier services by many people, especially within the European Union, as in these cases, the parcels do not undergo customs controls, except for the islands such as Ireland or the UK. Given that senders do it at their own risk, proper packaging is of paramount importance.
Can you send olive oil from Greece or Italy or any other country to the US?
Technically, it is possible, even though it is not recommended. Before sending olive oil either through courier services or through the mail overseas, keep in mind that your shipment will be scrutinized customs officers at the border. In many cases, as a result of shipping olive oil overseas from Europe to the United States, you will see its initial cost double or even triple. For this reason, many travellers opt for transporting olive oil to the US in checked luggage as a cheaper alternative.
Is there any insurance for shipping olive oil?
In most cases, no, because it is a liquid and a fragile item, even though it depends on the courier’s Terms and Conditions, as well as on the quality of packaging.
How much will it cost to ship olive oil abroad?
Many senders would like to know the actual price of olive oil transportation abroad before placing their order. Keep in mind that prices always depend on the route, the parcel dimensions and the courier company’s or postal operator’s pricing policy.
Can olive oil spontaneously catch fire during transportation?
Even though genuine virgin olive oil is flammable, spontaneous combustion is highly unlikely during transportation. For it to happen, olive oil must reach its flammable level first. It means that it needs to be heated. Before catching fire, olive oil will start boiling. To prevent such a scenario, shippers should always think of thermal insulation when preparing their package.