Shipping a care package to a student abroad: a complete guide
When one of your loved ones is studying far away from home, you can send them a care package to show them that you are thinking of them. You can fill it with products like pictures, pieces of clothing, cosmetics, etc. Receiving a care package is pure bliss as you know that someone is thinking of you and wants to show you how much they care.
When you are a concerned parent, a loving aunt, or just a friend, shipping a care package to a student abroad is always a nice gesture. Whether you are shipping to a first-year freshman, or to a seasoned student in the exam period, sending an exam care package will put a smile on their face for sure. In this article, we will tell you what you can include in a student care package, how to prepare your parcel, and how to get student discounts.
What do you have to think of when sending an exam care package to a student?
Eurosender helps people book affordable door-to-door shipping services in a matter of seconds. Many students, parents, and organizations have turned to our shipping services for sending an exam care package across the world. In addition to providing a simple booking system, through our platform, our customers can instantly see the price for most routes, without having to compare any quotes themselves. The couriers we work with can pick items up from houses, apartments, offices, hotels, and airports. The most important thing when shipping a care package to a student abroad is to provide a valid and accessible address for the pick-up and delivery. Also, ensure that the shipment is well protected for transportation.
What is not allowed to send as a student care package by courier?
- Home-cooked food, how delicious it might be, is located in a grey zone when it comes to shipping. Especially when using a glass jar or a food container. However, shipping dry foods such as cookies, dried fruits or nuts doesn’t cause any problems as long as you pack it properly.
- It is not prohibited to ship electronics, as long as the electronic equipment is packed appropriately. However, keep in mind that when shipping electronic devices (such as televisions, mobile phones, computers, etc.), the original packaging and invoice should always be attached. Without it, the shipping insurance does not apply.
- Batteries are also an exception. They are not forbidden on all routes but only when the transport is done by air. If you are not sure whether the transport to your selected destination will be carried out by road or air, please contact us for more details.
Standard shipping service
To determine whether your parcel is eligible for our standard shipping service, your parcel has to comply with a few restrictions. Enter the dimensions of your parcel hereunder to see which service suits you best.
Check your parcel's dimensions
How to prepare a student care package for courier shipment?
People send packages to a student for many reasons:
- Because the student forgot books, a laptop, clothing, etc.
- Because you want to send them a gift for their birthday.
- Because you want to send them a musical instrument like a guitar, cello or drumkit.
The most important part of sending an exam care package is the preparation of the parcel. Make sure that you check out our pack and ship pages on more specific items to learn how to pack them properly, visit our general pack and ship page to get started. You can find specific packing instructions for every single item on our website (see previous links). The basic things you need for most shipments are:
- Cardboard Box(es)
- Cushioning material
- Bubble wrap
Which address should I put on the parcel?
Even though it seems like the simplest task of all, but many people do not fill out the address section the right way. Write out addresses fully and clearly. You have to state not only the zip code, town, and the street with number but also information like access codes and apartment numbers: Addresses should be written out fully and clearly. However, the address bar often contains inaccuracies, and this could result in a failed delivery. Not only should you give the zip code, town, and street with a number, but also information regarding possible access codes and/or apartment numbers:
Choose the country of pick-up/delivery.
- Name & Surname
Add the full name of the consignee.
Ex.: University of England Dormitory, Edward Livingston
Fill out the street name in full and the number.
Ex.: 221b Baker Street
- Additional info – Optional
Here you can add additional information.
Keep in mind that the courier doesn’t always take this info into consideration.
Add the zip code, please double check if it’s the right one.
Ex.: NW1 6XE
Add the full name of the town or city.
- Phone number
Add the phone number, change the area code if needed.
Ex.: +44 20 1234 1234
If you want to send a student care package by courier to a dorm, you might want to add the dorm number. When there is a reception, you can ask them if they receive parcels during working hours and ask them if you can put them down as consignee.
We also recommend double-checking the import and export regulations when shipping a care package to a student abroad. You are responsible for researching restrictions when it comes to shipping across the border. Read more on the topic in our dedicated article about shipping outside the EU.
Shipping a care package to a student abroad with discount!
Everyone loves a good discount, especially students. There are several direct and indirect ways to save on shipping with Eurosender.
- We offer the possibility to add a coupon code during the payment process.
- Over the years, we have established partnerships with different types of organizations, such as housing organizations for expats, student communities, etc. Due to our partnerships, it possible to combine our shipping services with the ones that these organizations offer, making your shipment cheaper.
- When booking a shipment, let your customer agent you know that you are interested in booking a return shipment as well. They will tell you what your options are and how much you can save.
- Together with our partners, we also launched several promotions from time to time, like a semester kick-off or a back-to-home promo. Look for your local partner and ask if they already cooperate with us.
- Check our Instagram page and Facebook for discounts.
We hope this article will have brought you useful information. If you need more information on sending an exam care package or shipping a care package to a student abroad, then please do not hesitate to contact one of our agents. And we hope to see your shipment soon!