Shipping a care package to a crew member, worldwide and fast!
Do you want to surprise a family member who works on a cruise? Or perhaps your friend has forgotten his laptop while visiting you while he was on land? Don’t worry, Eurosender helps you when shipping a care package to a crew member all over the world. Birthdays, holidays as Christmas and Newyear, or for any other occasion that you want to show someone that you care about them, shipping a care package to a sailor or a crewmember is always a good idea. Therefore, we have created this guide with all the in’s and out’s about shipping a parcel to a crew member.
What to do when shipping a care package to a sailor?
When shipping a care package to a sailor, choosing for Eurosender allows you to benefit from the cheapest door-to-door shipping services. Through our platform, you are provided with the best deals for your destination. This is a result of the immense network of courier providers we work with. So, when you want to show someone who is far away from home, that you care about them, you want your shipment to be handled with care. In the steps below, we will show you exactly how to get you ready for shipping a parcel to a crew member.
Shipping a care package to a sailor with Eurosender
Care packages are most appreciated when the receiver feels that you put some time and effort into it. You can do that by handpicking the items yourself, decorating the box with wrapping paper or other decoration material or by adding a letter and photos. When it comes to the things you can ship, here are just some ideas to kickstart your care package:
Find the correct shipping address
Determining the address of the person you want to send the care package to is something that deserves extra attention. If the cruise comes back to the same port every week, then there is no problem, but if the crew is for more than a month on the water, you will have to think ahead when shipping a parcel to a crew member.
When shipping to a port, you might have to call ahead to the crew or an office and ask the following questions:
- Is it possible to send a care package to a crew member? If yes, what is the protocol?
- What’s the postal address?
- To whom do you ship? Is it to the crew member or to an office, receptionist or someone else?
- Will there be someone to receive the parcel?
- Between which hours parcel delivery can take place?
Here are a few alternatives on shipping a care package to a sailor or how to better organize the delivery of your parcel at a port:
- Dedicated offices: In many cases, cruise ships have a dedicated office in different ports, contact the company beforehand and ask if it is possible to give them up as a pick-up or delivery address. Explain to them the situation you are in, and they will surely help their staff. They might even help you organize the transport. And as soon as the crew arrives at the port, they can easily visit them and drop off or pick-up your shipment.
- Port house or office: In other cases, the port may have an office with a luggage room where your suitcase can be stored safely. Call them up and see what the possibilities are, to find out if the port has such services.
- Luggage depot: When visiting major ports, there could be a luggage depot nearby. These are operated by one of our partner couriers or by an independent company. At some locations, Eurosender can also help you with storage. These depots know what to do when a courier comes to pick-up your suitcase, and they might even help you organize the transport.
Writing down the correct address
After you determined the address, it is crucial that you correctly fill in the address field. In the example below, you see an example of what this should look like. When you have questions about the address, or you are not sure how to fill in the details of your delivery point, you can always contact our customer service to help you out.
Choose the country of pick-up/delivery.
- Name & Surname
Add the name of the ship or port, followed by the full name of the consignee.
Ex.: Celestial Cruises, Linda Brooks
Fill out the street name in full and the number.
Ex.: Antoniou Ampatielou 8
- Additional info – Optional
Here you can add additional information.
Keep in mind that the courier doesn’t always take this info into consideration.
- Zip code
Add the zip code, please double check if it’s the right one.
Ex.: W185 36
Add the full name of the town or city.
- Phone number
Add the phone number, change the area code if needed.
Ex.: +30 21 6400 9999
Packing tips for shipping to a crew member
With our specific packing instructions, you have access to a wide range of shipping guides of various items, ranging from perfume to chocolate to a smartphone. With the right packing material and the proper packing advice, your package is ready for the road ahead.
Track and trace
Thanks to the current technology, anyone who books the shipping service on Eurosender platform will be able to use international parcel tracking tools online. Regular updates of the information about global package tracking are available from the moment the package is collected until it reaches its destination.
What keep in mind when shipping a parcel to a crew member
Prohibited items to ship
With such a wide range of items that you can ship, you want to keep in mind that there are certain rules about shipping. Let’s take a look at some of the things you should know.
- Don’t add any prohibited or restricted items when compiling your care package.
- You can freely ship electronics to your friend or lover, but they have to be accompanied by the original packaging and the original invoice. You may also want to take additional insurance into consideration when shipping something valuable. When the item contains batteries, you should know that these are not allowed in air transport.
- Shipping documents are important, especially when shipping internationally. Whether it is an invoice, shipping label or insurance documents, when shipping a parcel to a crew member with Eurosender, all of this is taken care of.
Extra insurance when shipping a care package to a crew member
Shipping with Eurosender means that your shipments are automatically insured with our Standard Insurance. But when shipping a care package to a crew member with great value, it is a good idea to cover your shipment with additional insurance (up to 1000€, 2000€ or 5000€.)
Do you have any other question regarding shipping a care package to a crew member or on the organization of shipping to a crew member? Then please, do not hesitate to contact our agents and give them all the information you have of your shipment. They will then help you as soon as possible.