How to safely pack and ship glass products internationally
Shipping services come in handy when one needs to ship glass products internationally as he bought some glass itmes online or when travelling abroad or even when shipping glass framed pictures or stained glass to a friend as a gift.
We have compiled this guide to save you some time researching how to pack and ship glass products by courier. Solid guidance as laid out below and Eurosender’s innovative digital platform, capable of instantly choosing the most reliable and affordable solution for your shipment, make the transport of glass items an easy and worry-free task.
How to make an order for shipping glass internationally with Eurosender?
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will be provided with the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to pack glass products for shipping.
That’s how simple it is! After choosing the right service all you have to do is prepare your glass shipment for the pick-up. We will organize everything else and act on your behalf when arranging the transport with the courier company.
Should you have any questions regarding the ordering process or your shipment, do not hesitate to contact our friendly support team.
How to ship glass products internationally
Shipping glass products, from glassware to mirrors and glass framed art, sounds tricky at first, but with proper packing techniques, it is easy. Before we lay down the guidelines, there are some other things to consider when shipping items with Eurosender.
- Make sure to choose the right service for your glass shipment. Enter the final dimensions and weight of your parcel in the dimension calculator below and find out which service is the best for you. If your shipment exceeds the requirements for standard shipping, ask for an individual offer.
Check which service to choose for shipping glass
Packaging material for shipping glass
Since glass products are very fragile it is very important to select proper packaging materials in order to ensure safe transport. These are the materials you need for packing glass products:
- Two cardboard boxes of different sizes. You can buy them at a stationery or hardware store. Or you can also use old ones, which you can get at your local supermarket. Just make sure that they are in good shape, showing no signs of damage.
- Cushioning materials, like packing peanuts, bubble wrap, air bags, foam, a crumbled paper will give extra protection to your shipment. You can buy them at a stationary or hardware store.
- Polystyrene sheets, which have to be thick enough to protect delicate glass items.
- Packing paper for wrapping glass for shipping.
- Strong adhesive tape and scissors for sealing the boxes and cutting materials.
How to pack glass for shipping in a safely manner?
Maybe at first glance packing glass seems difficult, but with proper technique, it can be simple. It is also very important to cushion your glass items and separate them from one another. Follow these steps to ensure the safe transport of glass:
- Secure the glass surface with tape. In the case of glass framed pictures, mirrors or other flat glass products, first protect the glass by crossing it with two strains of tape in the shape of an X. This will hold the glass together in case of breakage.
- Wrap each item with paper followed by layers of bubble wrap. Use thicker wrap to ensure better cushioning. Secure the wrapping materials with adhesive tape.
- Protect the edges of your glass product with polystyrene or other strong cushioning material.
- Put glass items in a box. Make sure you have filled the bottom of the box with some cushioning material. Place your items in a box and add more cushioning material. Make sure that glass is securely placed in the box and it does not move. You can do this by gently shaking the closed box. To finalize this, seal the box with tape.
- Use polystyrene sheets to protect the box from the outside. Cut polystyrene and attach the sheets to all sides of the box with adhesive tape.
- Put the smaller box into a larger one. Fill the empty space with cushioning materials.
- Seal the box and label it. Close the box and use adhesive tape generously to secure the box. If needed, put the label on your package. You can also mark the package with the label “Fragile” or “Handle with care”. However, be aware that if the shipping service is not dedicated to fragile items, the courier provider is not obliged to handle such parcels differently than others.
At Eurosender, we like to know that our customers feel safe when shipping their goods by courier. However, some items such as glass are considered as fragile, prohibited or restricted by shipping companies and are, therefore, not covered by insurance.
When this is the case, it is even more important that you follow our guidelines and packing instructions so that you can make sure your shipment will be safe during transport.
What do you get with Eurosender?
- Immediate price up to 70 % lower than going direct and the best available offer.
- We cooperate with a variety of couriers specialized in different types of shipping so we can always find the best solution for you.
- User-friendly platform and simple ordering process.
- Tracking number to track your parcel online.
- Friendly support staff speaking 15 local languages.
If there are still some unanswered questions left, you can always call or write an e-mail to our support team. They will be more than happy to give you the answer you are looking for.
Take into consideration these guidelines when shipping glass. Nevertheless, please consider that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. In case you decide to ship glass, Eurosender will not be held responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.