Is shipping prescription drugs in Europe allowed?
Are you among those, who would like to ship prescription drugs in Europe and are wondering whether it is allowed to ship pharmaceutical products? Whenever in doubt, you should always check the terms and conditions of the courier company offering the service of shipping.
Although prescription drugs are crucial for the health of many people, they are mostly on the list of forbidden items to ship. These usually also goes for analgesics and antibiotics which are available without a prescription. So, when one decides to send pharmaceutical products with a courier company, one has to be aware that it is solely the shipper’s responsibility in case of any damage or extra costs that may occur.
How to ship with Eurosender?
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will be provided with the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to pack and ship your goods.
Eurosender – your logistics partner:
- Instant quotes with the best offers. Our algorithm automatically chooses the best courier provider regarding the price-to-performance ratio.
- Our partners are the most reliable international logistics companies like DHL, DPD, GLS etc.
- Simple and quick ordering process. You can order the shipping service in only a few clicks.
- Support in 15 local languages.
- Online tracking of your parcel.
Before ordering your shipping via courier service, make sure to learn the most important basics:
- Since prescription drugs need special shipping conditions, check thoroughly for the information on the courier company website. However, if you will be using a parcel broker like Eurosender instead, ask if and under which conditions you can mail pills to someone. Since parcel brokers have a network of courier companies they work with, they might be able to offer access to such specific services.
- If you are planning to pack and ship medicines together with other items in one package, check the dimensions and weight of the large box. Use our dimension calculator below to see what service is the most suitable for your needs.
- When shipping prescription drugs from Poland, Spain or Sweden, you will have to print the shipping label yourself and stick it to the package.
- Place the order at least 2 days in advance. Especially if you are planning to leave the pick-up or delivery address. And also make sure someone will be present at the address in the given time frame for collection.
Check which service to choose
After placing the order through our digital platform, all you will have to take care about is packing your items properly and wait for the courier to pick up your parcel. Eurosender will take care of all the rest and represent you in the communication with the courier service provider. You will be able to enjoy the quick and reliable door to door delivery with one of the best logistics companies on the market.
If you have any questions regarding the ordering process or anything connected with the shipping service, do not hesitate to contact our agents, who will be happy to provide you with the right information.
Shipping prescription drugs
People use shipping services to help their family or friends to get the pills they need or have been using for a long time. The other reason is also the price of the drugs. Maybe one medicine in one European country is cheaper than in the other. Whatever the reason, when planning to ship medicines, check the restrictions and legislation in the pick-up and delivery country, for shipping prohibited substances can cause serious legal problems. Even with prescription and documentation, medication cannot be sent via regular shipping services. Medicines are subject to different regulations in each country.
There are some exceptions when shipping prescription drugs to another country in Europe is allowed. You can ship medicines when:
- the medicine is not available in the country of delivery;
- the shipper provides the proof that the medicine is for personal use along with the contact details of the physician under whose surveillance he/she will be;
- the medicine is needed in order to continue a treatment that the person started in a different country.
To learn more about shipping forbidden, restricted or not recommended items read our dedicated blog on this topic.
Medicines usually need a controlled environment for shipping. Since they are sensitive to temperature changes, shipping them with a standard service can influence their quality.
Also, they most probably need an environment protected from viruses and bacteria. Your package will be transported together with other parcels, containing all sorts of goods. And, simple vans or truck used for transporting standard packages are not equipped for items that need special conditions.
So, make sure to read the manufacturer’s recommendations on how to store certain drug, before deciding on shipping them.
Also, be aware that in case of damage when shipping prohibited, restricted or not recommended items, the insurance does not apply. You are shipping these items at your own risk.
Packaging tips for shipping medicines
If you decided to ship prescription drugs to someone for personal use, remember to pack them properly in order to avoid damages. We recommend to use the following packaging materials:
- A cardboard box. Use the box that is not too large for the items you are shipping. You can buy one at a stationary or hardware store. Used boxes are also fine as long as they are without holes, dents or tears.
- Bubble wrap and plastic bags to add extra protection, especially in case they come in contact with some liquid during transport.
- Cushioning materials, like packing peanuts (polystyrene chips), crumpled paper, foam etc. act as an extra layer of protection against shocks your shipment can go through during transport.
- Scissors and adhesive tape to cut the materials, secure and seal the box.
How to pack prescription drugs?
After you have gathered all the necessary packaging materials, you will have to focus on how to properly pack your medicines for shipping.
- Start by wrapping them in bubble wrap. Use enough wrap to cover the whole package of drugs and secure the wrap with tape. You can also put the wrapped medicines in a plastic bag and secure the bag. Ziplock bags are also a good solution.
- Put the wrapped items in the box. Put some cushioning material on the bottom of the box and add the pills. Fill the empty space with cushioning materials to prevent the items to move and add some extra protection against bumps.
- Seal the box and label it (if needed). Close the box and seal it with adhesive tape. Attach the label on it if needed.
If you plan on shipping prescription drugs internationally, you will most probably be requested to provide some documentation such as drug name, drug manufacturer, information about the use of the medication and a copy of the prescription.
If you are not sure under which conditions you can send medicine to someone, you can ask our support team for advice. Call us or write an e-mail, our agents can help you directly or point you to other useful sources of information.
Take into consideration these guidelines when shipping prescription drugs. Nevertheless, please consider that following them does not guarantee that the courier company will transport your package without restriction. In case you decide to ship medicines, Eurosender will not be held responsible for any damages caused by the transportation of your shipment.