How to ship a kayak overseas in a cost-effective way
With kayaking being a popular hobby and sport, an increasing number of people want to take their kayaks with them while travelling or relocating. However, taking a kayak with you on a plane is often not possible or very pricey. The other option is to ship your kayak, but people are often afraid that damages might occur and that the prices for shipping a kayak are exorbitant. But when you book shipping services with Eurosender, you can be sure that you get the best price and safe delivery. We work with the best and most reputable transport companies in the world to make sure that your delivery is successful. On top of that, we have created a dedicated guide on how to pack and ship a kayak, especially for all you kayak enthusiasts out there!
Get informed on how to ship a kayak in a few simple steps.
Shipping with Eurosender is simple, quick and reliable. All you have to do is:
Choose the pick-up and delivery countries, the number of packages and their weight.
You will be provided with the best available offer.
Fill in the form with your details and pay for the service.
Get informed on how to pack your items for shipping.
Make sure to place an order at least two days prior to the pick-up date and have someone at the address to give the package to the courier.
Check the dimensions and weight of your parcel in the shipment size checker below. If it is too big, too heavy or oddly shaped, ask for an individual offer.
Check which service to choose
How to place an order for shipping a kayak
When you place an order at Eurosender, the only thing you have to do is follow the steps below on how to pack and ship a kayak. After you have packed your kayak with the materials and instructions below, Eurosender will do the rest of the work. We provide you with a low-cost but reliable courier company and will solve all issues that might arise. Your kayak will be transported from the pick-up address to the delivery location in a quick and safe manner.
Any shipment sent through Eurosender is automatically insured. However, we always recommend purchasing additional insurance for valuable items such as kayaks. Additional insurance of up to 1000€ and 2000€ can be added at a small extra price.
If you would like to know even more about how to ship a kayak and what your options for additional insurance are, feel free to contact our friendly customer support team. They will be glad to provide you with all the answers you need and make sure that the booking process is a smooth sailing.
The cheapest way to ship a kayak
When you want to know how to pack and ship a kayak within your own country or abroad, the most important thing you need to pay attention to is the packaging. Kayaks are not cheap and the last thing you want is that it will get damaged while being in transport. So, in the packing guide below you can find all materials that are required for packing your kayak and the instructions on how to ship a kayak overseas. If you have any additional questions after reading this article, feel free to contact our Customer Service which is supported in 15 languages.
Before we get started, take a look at these essential tips before we move on to the packing materials that you need.
- Before you can send your kayak, it is important that you first determine the dimensions of your shipment. In the case of shipping a kayak overseas, it is best to measure it after packing it, as the size and weight increase during the packing process. You can use our free dimensions tracker below to measure your shipment. If the size of your kayak exceeds the standard dimensions, then contact our Customer Support friendly customer support team for an individual offer.
- If the pick-up location is situated in Spain, Poland or Sweden, it obligatory to print and attach the label by yourself. In all other countries, the courier will do this for you.
- It is obligatory to be present at the delivery address on the date of delivery. In case you plan to leave the address, make sure that you order your delivery 2 days before you leave or ask someone else to be present on the address and receive the shipment.
Materials for cheap delivery of a kayak by courier
All materials necessary for packing a kayak are available in most hardware stores or stationery shops. You can either use new or second-hand material as long as it is undamaged.
- Sheets of cardboard (enough to wrap the kayak at least 2 times)
- Bubble wrap or packaging foam (enough to wrap the kayak several times)
- Labels (to put on the loose parts)
- Adhesive tape
- Plastic Bag for details
How to pack and ship a kayak overseas
A kayak is quite a big object, so when packing it some help may be required. It is also a good idea to contact the manufacturer of the kayak to ask for advice on packing and shipping specific kayaks.
- You start with disassembling all parts that can be disassembled. Put them in a plastic or paper bag, which you then seal with tape. The best place for the bag is inside the sitting compartment of the kayak.
- Fill up all open spaces with packing peanuts or other cushioning materials.
- Wrap the kayak in carboard sheets. It is important that the entire Kayak is covered at least twice in cardboard. Use adhesive tape to keep the cardboard in place.
- Take the bubble wrap and wrap it multiple times around the kayak. Make sure that you put some extra around the corners and sharp edges. Again, make sure that everything stays in place by sealing the package with tape.
- Measure the dimensions of the packed kayak, as now it is bigger and heavier than before packing. After that, you can move on to placing the order.
- Wrap the bubble wrapped kayak in Cardboard. This is obligatory at many courier companies. Make sure that you cover all parts at least once and seal everything with tape.
- When you live in Spain, Poland or Sweden, remember to print the label and attach it on top of the packed kayak.
When you are relocating or going on holiday, there might be more things you want to ship. Take a look at our dedicated shipping guides below for more info:
- How to pack and ship a bike
- How to pack and ship camping equipment
- How to pack and ship fishing gear
- How to pack and ship golf clubs
- How to pack and ship a baby stroller
Reason for shipping a Kayak domestically or internationally
- Presents: Whether you want to surprise your spouse, children or friends, with a kayak delivery you can be sure that the lucky one receiving it, will have a day to never forget.
- Relocation: If you are moving to a new place in another city or even in another country, you want to take your kayak with you of course. With the help of Eurosender this now possible. Contact us to find out the cost of shipping a kayak internationally.
- Vacation: Many low-cost airlines give little opportunity to bring lots of luggage, and if they do, it is at extremely high prices. So, it is cheaper and more convenient to ship your kayak to your holiday destination with Eurosender, because we know how to ship a kayak overseas.
- Buying/selling used Kayaks: The price of a new kayak might be a deterrent from picking up the sport. With many online market places available these days, it is easy to find a good deal on the second-hand market. But only then this kind of questions arise: How to pack and ship a kayak? Or: What is the cost of shipping a kayak internationally? In that case, Eurosender can help you with all the necessary info and find you the cheapest and most reliable option for transport.
Would you like to have some more information on how to pack your kayak for shipping? Or are you still not sure on how to book a shipment for your kayak? Contact us and our friendly Customer Support team will be more than happy to help you!